Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-20, 11:46 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Safeway in Northern California has had the tape on the floor for a couple of weeks, and one of the two I've been to has the plexiglass shields and is wiping down the belt.

A Lucky store I visited earlier this week had put up the shields, but they are about 8" too far to the left so if you are paying with a card, there's no barrier between the customer and checker.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-20, 01:01 PM  
Leonana

It's different in Arizona, our state isn't quarantining as early or as much as other states. We just had the six feet distance rule put in effect this last Tuesday.

I went to Trader Joe's Tuesday morning during senior hour. We all stood six feet apart. The line wasn't too long and they let everyone in. They didn't seem to limit the amount of people in the store. There was a clerk at the front wiping carts.

They are limiting to two of each item, so that has helped a lot. I am able to get my usual grocery items there. However, with the senior hours, I'm not sure what is left after that first hour. They do restock during the day, so it might not be an issue.
Old 04-02-20, 01:10 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

I suppose these stores may be open by now, but a few were closed a few days ago.

https://www.traderjoes.com/announcem...ted-to-covid19
Old 04-02-20, 01:35 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I joined Costco about three weeks ago for the express reason that they had toilet paper in stock!

I've been blown away by Costco customer service. All the employees were gloved, cleaning surfaces and maintaining a distance. My only complaint was at the enrollment desk the associate kept getting in my face. I wrote to Costco about it and they emailed me back the next morning with a photograph of the very service desk I was at - I recognized the employees! They put tables in front of the counter so customers were distanced from the employees. They must have looked at video footage from around the time I was there.

When I got gas there was an employee in each line wiping down the gas pump handles and ATM thingie after each use, too. Since then they instituted senior hour and now have limits that only two people on one card can go in.

The Costco customers are another story. Like most stores most of them don't worry about their distance from you. Why do Costco customers wander around in a daze? I was afraid for being run over by their carts.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-20, 09:29 PM  
bfit

In California now all grocery stores have until tomorrow to limit the number of people in the store, enforce the 6 foot spacing in the lines, and limit each customer to 2 each of popular items (like toilet paper). A lot of stores were already doing the crowd control measures, but now they all have to, and I'm glad. I'm also glad about limiting purchases to prevent hoarding. Some stores also have senior citizen shopping hours for an hour or so in the morning before normal opening time so that seniors can shop in a less crowded store when it is freshly stocked and cleaned. The senior hours are not required.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-20, 04:33 PM  
Marylandmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I had read that they have an employee outside enforcing six feet between customers, that they are wiping down each cart before you take it, allowing only a small amount of people in at a time and squirting hand sanitizer for each customer. If you use your own bags, you need to bag groceries yourself.

Has this been anyone 's experience? We are trying to shop as little as possible, but we have my been there in over three weeks. Thank you!
I went last Sunday. It's very organized. They were not allowing more than 50 people in the store at a time, this included the staff also. The lines moved fast outside and people were standing 6 feet apart. I was a little worried going there at first because their isles tend to be narrow. But the store was fully stocked and they were continually bringing out items. Only thing I couldn't find was my much loved Mandarin Chicken. Also, every other check out lane is open to keep the distancing They are doing a good job.
Marylandmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-20, 09:27 PM  
CoolGirlinFl888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
I joined Costco about three weeks ago for the express reason that they had toilet paper in stock!

I've been blown away by Costco customer service. All the employees were gloved, cleaning surfaces and maintaining a distance. My only complaint was at the enrollment desk the associate kept getting in my face. I wrote to Costco about it and they emailed me back the next morning with a photograph of the very service desk I was at - I recognized the employees! They put tables in front of the counter so customers were distanced from the employees. They must have looked at video footage from around the time I was there.

When I got gas there was an employee in each line wiping down the gas pump handles and ATM thingie after each use, too. Since then they instituted senior hour and now have limits that only two people on one card can go in.

The Costco customers are another story. Like most stores most of them don't worry about their distance from you. Why do Costco customers wander around in a daze? I was afraid for being run over by their carts.
So why didn't you just ask her to not get so close to you instead of going to corporate? As someone who worked retail I can tell you your letter can get someone written up or fired. I have seen it many times. You could have just reminded her to please keep a distance. Corporate NEVER EVER takes the employees side; it's all about the customer regardless of if they are in the wrong. People like you are the very reason I am thrilled that I got out of retail.
CoolGirlinFl888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-20, 09:19 PM  
fanofladyvols

Sherry have you made it to Trader Joe's?

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-20, 09:50 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
Sherry have you made it to Trader Joe's?
Not yet.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-20, 10:27 PM  
CharM

I went today for the first time in a month or so. The parking lot wasn't full so it gave me hope that the line would move quickly. It took about 20 minutes just to get in. There are taped "x" outside, so people will know where to stand. The carts were wiped down and ready to go.
Once inside, it took forever because: 1. I wasn't familiar with that store (not my usual location). 2. some areas were crowded and it seemed that people wearing masks didn't abide by the rules to give each other space. So I walked around at random going through aisles that weren't as crowded and circled back when I noticed not as many people.
3. we can't use our own bags anymore, so we have to wait for the cashier to scan and then bag, when there's no bagger.

All but one item I wanted was available, but there were limits placed on things I normally double up on like rice and eggs. There was an employee outside handing out wipes on the way out.
It took a little under an hour from when I left my vehicle to getting back in. I won't be going back for another two weeks, but I hope it'll be quicker now that I know the layout.
eta: every other checkout lane was open, with lines taped on the floor indicating where to wait
CharM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19