Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-14, 09:29 AM  
Mickey12

Question Does anybody here do tai chi?

I am taking my first tai chi class tomorrow. I'm somewhat familiar with it, but have never taken a class. I'm wondering if I will be able to catch on to the moves. I'm a little nervous that I will look like a floundering idiot. I know it's slow moving, but does it ever get faster? I think if it stays slow, I will be ok, but if they speed things up I may be lost.

Any suggestions or tips on what to expect are appreciated. Thanks!

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-14, 09:43 AM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

I am no expert, but I've done workouts and I have a strong tai chi community in my neighborhood I've had the privilege to watch many mornings over the years (including outdoor classes). I've never seen it speed up. That said, you may get confused as the terminology, hand motions, and experiences are new to you. That's okay! As with any live class, tell the instructor you're new and then go with it. The point is to find a relaxing meditative workout, so don't let a few "I used my left hand when they used their right" trip you up. Have a great time!

ETA: do a google search on the benefits of tai chi. They are incredible and well researched.
Old 01-19-14, 09:43 AM  
andtckrtoo

I've taken Tai Chi. I think you'll be fine. It's very slow moving and very deliberate. I think you'll be fine. You can spend a whole class working on a shift in balance from your left to your right leg and the stances around those. Progress is slow, but you'll get there. Go in with an open mind and you'll learn a lot about a very interesting culture.

Tai Chi is a martial art, but it's based on the principal of passive resistance. I watched my Tai Chi master demonstrate the "fighting" techniques and was amazed at how he was able to deflect and redirect by using the moves he taught us in class.
Old 01-19-14, 09:45 AM  
NRGWoman

I practice Tai Chi. Tai Chi by definition is slow. The teacher should never speed it up to where you are lost. Tai Chi is also about repetition. In a Tai Chi class a teacher is not trying to always give you new choreography or to impress you with their wealth of different exercises, they are trying to help you get the most out of the class. While the moves can be complicated at times no one would ever expect you to be perfect your first time, people spend lifetimes mastering the moves in Tai Chi.

I think you will be fine. Have a good class.

Your future isn't written yet, your future is what you make it, so make it a good one. - Dr. Emmett Brown, Back to the Future III

What would happen if everyday I woke up and I did everything in my power to change my life? How would my life be different in a month, a year? - Liz Murray, Homeless to Harvard
NRGWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-14, 09:59 AM  
Mickey12

Thanks for all the encouragement, guys! I guess I shouldn't be nervous.

Kim
Old 01-19-14, 08:46 PM  
Psyche
VF Supporter

Okay, I read it as Chai tea! Yum!

I have done tai chi via videos before. I've always thought it would be great to do it live with a regular group.
Psyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-14, 12:22 PM  
Mickey12

ROFL!!!!

[QUOTE=Psyche;2350267]Okay, I read it as Chai tea! Yum!

Kim
Old 01-20-14, 12:29 PM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

I seem to remember Lisa Simpson once saying she kept her calm with "tai chi and chai tea."

Tags
tai chi