Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-04-19, 07:45 AM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnMrsDe View Post
Yes, I am a testament for the original Winsor Buns & Thighs! I did that workout once or twice a week after my hip bursitis diagnosis in 2017 and it helped tremendously to strengthen my hips/knees. Knock on wood, my hips are doing well since but I was also doing regularly a yin yoga practice on Youtube that had all the stretches my PT recommended for me to do:

Yin Yoga w/ Michelle Goldstein:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCv4tagvnXg

I'm sorry for mentioning this class ad nauseam in threads, LOL, but it really helped me and I've been including it ever since 2017 regularly to keep my hips happy. Note: I also add the bridge exercise since that was the only exercise it omits per my PT. Also, Michelle talks a lot, so I've been known to mute her...it's very easy to follow along!
AnMrsDe- Thank you for posting this! I've noticed my hips get very tight ( I suspect too many step workouts!) and this will help tremendously!
Old 04-04-19, 10:01 AM  
AnMrsDe

You're welcome, Wendy! Hope it helps your hips!
AnMrsDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-19, 11:52 AM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
Mariana - I so believe that it is all connected! I had what I thought were tight hamstrings and they improved significantly when I focused on stretching my psoas and hip flexors.
YES! This is finally something I've internalized. I had heard it before but it was always tempting to want to stretch my low back and hamstrings when they felt tight. Turns out, that's the opposite of what someone should do since it's really the tight hip flexors, quads and psoas giving us all that back and hamstring problems! I started focusing on stretching my hip flexors and quads and WOW, what a difference. It helps so much with my knees, too. Every time I do a quad heavy workout, especially step aerobics, I often feel my knees start to tweak. As soon as I feel that I stop and do the King Arthur stretch: https://www.doyouyoga.com/how-to-do-king-arthurs-pose/. I put a towel or some other pad under my knee when I do it and hold the pose for at least 10 breaths on each side. Literally instantly my knee pain disappears. It's the craziest thing and it works every time!

In addition to steppers, I've read this is a great stretch for runners and cyclists, too, which makes sense as those are quad heavy exercises as well.

Edit: Oh man, didn't realize this thread started in 2013. lol
Old 04-04-19, 03:47 PM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
Mariana - I so believe that it is all connected! I had what I thought were tight hamstrings and they improved significantly when I focused on stretching my psoas and hip flexors.
I think that CS/Essentrics helped my foot issues a lot.
Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-19, 06:35 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

I was just reading all of the posts, and I had to stop and think back to when I had PF the worst, and what I did at the time that seemed to help. I think many of the suggestions here are very helpful.
1. Working out barefoot
2. Rebounding seems to have helped my feet, but it could be just due to being barefoot.
3. Floorwork. I agree with this, I love floorwork, and do a lot of it.
4. Classical Stretch. Miranda has excellent stretches for the entire lower body, and the feet.

I think everyone has to find what works for them, but I totally agree that everything is connected.
Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bret contreras, clam, floorwork, glute activation, hip pain, plantar fasciitis, psoas