Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-17, 10:22 AM  
buffmama

unilateral strengthening for imbalances

My left leg is longer than my right and doing kettlebells I'm noticing that my right side seems to get a much better workout and I feel it much more. I'm thinking about adding in some unilateral isolation moves for my left side to work on it a bit more. I'm interested in hearing from others who've had this and hearing what they have done and if they've been successful in strengthening their weaker side.
Old 05-05-17, 11:08 AM  
buttons11

In general, my lefty arm is my slacker. Yet as I worked to improve my imbalance I found that lefty was better at pull work, and righty was stronger at push work. Back in 2012/2013 at my peak kettlebell fitness [before this stinkin asthma] we were using double kettlebells at the gym for clean/push press, farmers walk, waiters walk, rack walk. Pushed lefty to do as much work/weight as righty until he started to falter, then dropped down in weight, just for lefty to complete the set. Also bracing my core with forceful [shhhhh] exhales during the peak exertion helped lefty keep up with righty. I worked lefty first [non-dominant first, like the ole fitprimes/kickbutt workouts] TRX pull ups and chin ups helped also. In general, when working at home with DVDs while working on helping lefty catch up, I tended to focus more on dumbbells vs barbell, except for deadlifts, allowing my lefty arm to independently do his own work. For leg imbalance I would do deadlifts, squats, leg presses with dumbbells/kettlebells too, following the same principles. Oh, and those turkish get ups will certainly help with imbalance too

It's a long slow road. But no matter, as long as lefty is doing his best, I'm ok with it. Hope this helps
"The secret to change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new" Socrates NOT the Greek one, Way of the Peaceful Warrior: A Book that Changes Lives by Dan Millman, 1984

"Do not let the behavior of others destroy your inner peace" Dalai Lama

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." Earl Nightingale

Still training to outrun the zombies buttons
buttons11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-17, 03:56 PM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

You probably should do some unilateral strength training to bring up the weaker side. Have you gone to a physical therapist before for recommendations?

Dr. John Rusin is a PT, chiropractor and personal trainer/coach. He highly recommends unilateral training, including lunges and deadlifts (single leg) to ensure bilateral strength. If your knees bother you he actually recommends stationary and rear lunges. Earlier this week on FB he had a video showing split squats (stationary lunges) and said this as part of his post:
May 3 at 3:43pm ·
Why do people skip single leg work like the split squat? Because it's inherently easier to overlook your functional weak points and only train bilaterally than it is to be humbled and crushed by targeted asymmetrical training that not only punishes your quads and glutes but also sky rockets your heart rate.
This was on his coaching site but he echoes similar thoughts only more rehab/pre-hab/functional strength focused on his PT blog posts.

If you get a chance check out his FB pages (he has two) for articles and workout recommendations, as well as his articles and blog posts. Try going to drjohnrusin.com, select articles and then search from there. Seriously, the guy has some great recommendations for safe training, strength rehab and injury prevention.

I will also say that he is very responsive to inquiries sent to him on FB. I sent him some questions a while back and he responded in under 24 hours. I suggested his FB page to a fitness friend who was struggling with tennis elbow and facing potential surgery. He responded to her right away as well.

I will say he is also one of the rare ones out there who disagrees with the general PT approach of just bringing people back to an acceptable level of strength post-injury. He says settling for acceptable (minimal) levels of rehab is falling short of fully serving patients. Building strength beyond this is what helps to prevent future injuries.

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-17, 12:41 PM  
buffmama

Thanks for the recommendations. I've starting more unilateral strength moves and notice a difference rather quickly. Increased single leg DL on my weak side and started step ups since I notice when hiking that I'm always using my stronger leg. Something to on keepin' on.....
Old 05-12-17, 04:17 AM  
nckfitheart

There is a similar thread on Cathe forum. This is an interesting topic.

Thanks Gibbee for adding links

https://cathe.com/forum/threads/reco.../#post-2390453

What has helped me personally as well as other unilateral compound are core exercises combining upper and lower,keeping abs and core isolated. For example dead bugs.

A progression would be lunge hold and shoulder overhead press unilaterally.
nckfitheart is offline   Reply With Quote