Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-13, 07:53 PM  
horusosiris

I also posted this as a review in the GD

I did the Mixxtreme Ballet Box workout today. From the clips, I though that the white background would bother me but it did not. I also thought that her “cheerleader” demeanor would bother me but it did not. I really wished that:

1. She had mirror queued. Since Shandi created this workout for home exercisers I would think that mirror queuing would be a no brainer?

2. The music was better. The music was just about inaudible except near the end where it was loud enough to almost drown her voice out.

3. Shandi did more of the workout and less encouraging and counting. I usually like workouts where the instructor does most if not the entire workout.

4. Although the white background did not really bother me, I wish that Shandi had used a real studio or another backdrop.

The workout alternated between cardio and toning (barre/arm work). Most of the cardio moves also had a toning component. I liked that she did not do any particular move too long. The workout moved right along and was not frantic. The pacing was good.

Unfortunately there were burpees and mountain climbers! As others have noted, I am sick of them popping up in almost every workout. Maybe the burpees would not have annoyed me as much if I had not been doing so many Zuzka workouts (which I love) lately. Zuzka loves burpees! I subbed swings for some of the Ballet Box burpees.

It had a good inner thigh and hamstring work.

The workout was 63 minutes. I think that it could have used a premix or an easily identified stop point that would comprise a 30 minute workout (much like the New Dream Body Cardio series. I like that aspect to the DB workouts)

All in all, I liked the workout and I tried not to compare it to the Dream Body workouts but so far I think that the Dream Body Cardio workouts are tougher and much more enjoyable.

I need to do the other two workouts. I will do ‘Mixx’ or ‘Tabata Sculpt’ tomorrow.
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-13, 02:29 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Thank you for the review!

I order this set hoping that it wouldn't be as tough or as frantic as DB, so I'm thrilled to read that this is the case.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-13, 03:32 PM  
acescholar

Mary now has a clip of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=BXuXnGPqejo

Didn't think I was going to be tempted .... until I saw Mary's clip!
acescholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-13, 05:02 PM  
mrsyancy

Mary's clip is much better.....I really like what I see
mrsyancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-13, 05:06 PM  
momofcha

For those of you wanting to buy - I'd love to get rid of my set. I just prefer DB.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-13, 11:33 PM  
lila_says

Quote:
Originally Posted by shammy902 View Post
For those of you wanting to buy - I'd love to get rid of my set. I just prefer DB.
Hi Shammy, could you elaborate on what didn't click for you with these dvds? TIA
lila_says is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-13, 08:47 AM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by lila_says View Post
Hi Shammy, could you elaborate on what didn't click for you with these dvds? TIA
Apparently I like frantic. I just prefer DB - the set, the instructors, the variations of the moves. It's just more "me"

I put mixx in yesterday and at the beginning it reminded me so much of the download I have. There just didn't seem to be much difference. The moves in DB are soooo varied. There's not much repetition at all. A lot of creativity - that might be a bad thing with the new bikini bootcamp because that seemed scattered - but I have only done it once - the jury is still out.

After doing the mixx workouts I didn't feel as worked out. I did MILF again yesterday and OMG my butt, outer thighs were on fire. I didn't get that feeling with the mixx workouts.

I'm an anomale though, take it for what it's worth

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-13, 12:26 PM  
Sweetsal

Rant alert: HATED these!

I got my set yesterday and did Ballet Box. Well, I did most of it anyway. I stopped at about the 45 minute mark because I just couldn't stand it another minute. Not the workout, but the relentless yelling, clapping, babbling, urging, chanting, let's go, let's go, let's go, come on, come on, come on, and counting down the end of EVERY move with "we're looking at 10 more seconds, nine more seconds, eight more seconds...." Well, you get the idea. Apparently we can't be trusted to go for a single count or rep without at least a syllable or two to urge us on. I think the much-mentioned clip where she says "left, left, left, left" when it should be "left, right, left, right" amply demonstrates that she's just talking for the sake of talking rather than actually instructing or cuing. It reminds me of Billy Blanks' non-stop counting to 8 for no apparent reason.

I'll be returning this set immediately. I'm willing to cut Dream Body some slack with the incessant yapping because they are at least good, challenging workouts, but not these! They just weren't challenging and didn't seem well-thought-out enough to warrant putting up with the annoyance.

I can't even imagine that this relentless chatter would be okay in a live class, but certainly not on a DVD you'd want to do more than once. The white background didn't bother me but the backgrounders were another thing. Could we at least try to look like we're having a good time? One of them looked like she was in a trance (probably a reaction to the constant verbal deluge) and the other kept glancing around apprehensively like she expected something to jump out and bite her. And I don't mean that as a dig against them personally, but I assume that they are also instructors at the studio and should be at least a little bit interested in presenting their workout method in a way that would make people actually want to do it.

I'm rarely this irritated by a workout and things that seem to bother others, like a lack of mirror cuing, no warm-up or cooldown, bad or no music, etc. don't usually bother me. I did notice Dasha's persistent chatter in KBKB, but maybe only because I had been forewarned. After a few workouts, I just tuned her out. If I wanted, I could probably just mute Dasha entirely because once you know the moves, you don't really need the verbal cues. With Mixxtreme, at least the one I did, you're up and down quite a bit or in a plank, so you really do need about every 50th word to know what to do when.

I know this is their first effort and I'm not trying to be unreasonably harsh but if chatter bothers you and you want a quality product for your exercise dollars, I really don't recommend this set.
Sweetsal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-13, 12:42 PM  
LoveVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetsal View Post
I got my set yesterday and did Ballet Box. Well, I did most of it anyway. I stopped at about the 45 minute mark because I just couldn't stand it another minute.....

I'll be returning this set immediately. I'm willing to cut Dream Body some slack with the incessant yapping because they are at least good, challenging workouts, but not these! They just weren't challenging and didn't seem well-thought-out enough to warrant putting up with the annoyance....

I can't even imagine that this relentless chatter would be okay in a live class, but certainly not on a DVD you'd want to do more than once....

I'm rarely this irritated by a workout and things that seem to bother others, like a lack of mirror cuing, no warm-up or cooldown, bad or no music, etc. don't usually bother me....

I know this is their first effort and I'm not trying to be unreasonably harsh but if chatter bothers you and you want a quality product for your exercise dollars, I really don't recommend this set.
So, are you saying you don't like these? I can't tell

Just kidding!!!!!

Thanks for the reviews. As a Dream Body fan, I had high hopes for these as they seemed like Dream Body for a lighter day. But, the white background does bother me and the clips are underwhelming. Now with real VFer reviews coming in mixed, I think my money can be saved for the new Toniques.
LoveVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-13, 12:48 PM  
glamgal
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveVA View Post
So, are you saying you don't like these? I can't tell

Just kidding!!!!!
LOL!!!

Tags
mixxtreme