Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-22-20, 02:32 PM  
prettyinpink

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post

true - if you have "bill pay" from your bank, it is a physical check. however, you can set up electronic payments on the vendor's side, and the customer can manually do a "one time payment" (as opposed to recurring payments) after having set up that relationship. those are electronic..
I think to do that, you have to give the vendor your checking account number. I avoid this if at all possible, as there is not much recourse if a vendor makes a mistake.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-20, 03:25 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
I think to do that, you have to give the vendor your checking account number. I avoid this if at all possible, as there is not much recourse if a vendor makes a mistake.
yes, you do. however you have the backing of the bank in case of fraud. Bank checking accounts are federally insured by the FDIC or NCUA in the case of credit unions.

it's no different than you swiping your card at their establishment - you're giving them access to your account. there are risks as we have seen with security breaches, but that's what the insurance is for.

the bank will immediately return your money while they duke it out with the vendor. after it's resolved, they will pay the vendor the corrected amount, if appropriate.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-20, 03:42 PM  
alisoncooks

Gosh, I feel like one of the last hold outs. We pay all bills with check still. Mainly because I have to juggle incoming with outgoing $$. I'm afraid to leave it to autopay, lest I accidentally overdraw our account...
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-20, 05:48 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

I only write a check every couple of months, but I don't do autopay. Mainly because I don't trust my vendors Spectrum, my internet/phone/tv provider, has a nasty habit of letting the rate inch up month by month unless I keep on top of it/them. I've also caught a hack on a credit card before the merchant did by reviewing the bill rather than authorizing payment to go automatically every month. I do the compromise bill payment method: pay almost every vendor through my bank account online. I trust my bank's security more than each individual vendor's and I retain some control over when payments are made. For the very few checks I send, I always allow extra time.
Old 12-22-20, 09:29 PM  
angie_nrs

I still use checks for pretty much everything. I haven't had a problem with the mail, but I don't use the mailbox. I take everything directly to the post office.

I pay cash with everything that I can, even my property taxes sometimes. At brick and mortor stores, it's cash. I don't like giving the CC companies and big banks a cut of every transaction I make. So, cash it is. If I can't pay cash, I pay with checks. I'm one of those very few hold outs who still likes her privacy, even though I'm pretty boring.