Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-24, 08:33 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixoo View Post
Speaking of series, I like them, unless each books ends on a cliff hanger. In that case, I feel it should be disclosed on the cover so that you know going in that you’re committed to X number of books! Too many times, I’ve read on a book (usually in a recommendation) only to find that I have to read several more just to find out what happens. The above series is the kind I like: each is a standalone, but characters weave in and out and grow and change, so it’s enjoyable to get to spend more time with them if you want.
Yes, I do read series and prefer them like this also. But then there are the ones where the characters don't grow/change (Hannah Swenson, I am looking at YOU ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyQ View Post
I’m reading The Poisonwood Bible. I attempted this one when it was released in 1998 or 1999 and didn’t like it. I never finished it. A quarter of a century later I’m enjoying it .
I read that way back when and do remember liking it. Hope you enjoy the rest!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-24, 11:42 AM  
ardnas

I am reading the third book, Before Your Memory Fades, from the Before the Coffee Gets Cold (5 book) series by Toshikazu Kawaguchi. I have been reading a lot of Japanese authors lately and appreciate their style of simplistic writing with few words but many lessons. Each book has 4 or so short stories -all take place in the same cafe where one can time travel until their coffee becomes cold, but they cannot change the past or future. Interesting concept, fast reads, heartwarming & heartbreaking, I am enjoying this series.

ETA: just noticed there is a 5th book coming in Nov!
Old 04-12-24, 07:59 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyQ View Post
I finished Cutting for Stone. Wow was it good.

I’m reading The Poisonwood Bible.I attempted this one when it was released in 1998 or 1999 and didn’t like it. I never finished it. A quarter of a century later I’m enjoying it .
I loved both of these books.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-24, 08:45 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Since my last post back in January (I think) I have read:
Horse by Geraldine Brooks- Loved it and highly recommend
The Heaven and Earth Grocery Store by James McBride. This book has been hyped and I was a disappointed in it at first. However the story picked up and I think it is a good book but still a bit over hyped IMO. That was the consensus in my book group. I loved his memoir The Color of Water and was going to recommend one of his older novels to read for book group - The Good Lord Bird.

Our book for April is Frozen River which was mentioned in the Winter thread. I haven't started it yet and am glad it was recommended by some of you here.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-24, 06:27 AM  
Carol K

I enjoyed Horse as well. I'm a Geraldine Brooks fan.
Old 04-13-24, 10:14 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post

Our book for April is Frozen River which was mentioned in the Winter thread. I haven't started it yet and am glad it was recommended by some of you here.
I really enjoyed Frozen River. I hope you (and your book group doo too.)

I'm on a roll:
  • Purgatory Ridge Book #3 William Kent Krueger
  • Blood Hollow Book #4 William Kent Krueger
  • First Lie Wins Ashley Elston
  • Mercy Falls Book #5 William Kent Krueger

I'm currently on book #6 of the Cork O'Connor Series. I have a couple of other books to read inbetween. But after saying how they could be standalones??? Mr. Krueger changed his MO and Mercy Falls ended on somewhat of a cliffhanger, so I dove right into the next one. Now I'll have to order #7 & #8 .... Good grief! But I am enjoying them and they go fast. (even though they are NOT large print).

Went to lunch with a friend who recommended Tom Lake - which was on my "to be read list" anyway and it was on the library's shelf (in LARGE print! yay) and I also have The Berrypickers to read.

I figure by the time I finish those 3 books, the next 2-3 books for the Cork O'Connor series will be at the library. Just have to figure out more to read inbetween! Keep the suggestions coming.

Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-24, 12:44 PM  
Carol K

Tom Lake was good too. Ann Patchett is another favorite of mine.
Old 04-13-24, 03:42 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Just finished Behind Her Eyes by Sarah Pinborough. It was good, an engrossing relationship thriller, although it turns out...
<<<SMALL SPOILER>>>

...that there is a supernatural element to explain some of the bizarre occurrences.

I just started reading Stephen King's Holly last night.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 04-15-24, 10:32 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
I just finished The Anthropocene Reviewed: Essays on a Human-Centered Planet by John Green. I didn't expect to like this, but ended up really enjoying it. A nice combination of memoir, musings, and interesting facts/history. I've been in quite a reading slump this year, so this was a nice surprise.
I have this on audio and keep forgetting it's there since I don't open the Audible app much. Thanks for the reminder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardnas View Post
I am reading the third book, Before Your Memory Fades, from the Before the Coffee Gets Cold (5 book) series by Toshikazu Kawaguchi. I have been reading a lot of Japanese authors lately and appreciate their style of simplistic writing with few words but many lessons. Each book has 4 or so short stories -all take place in the same cafe where one can time travel until their coffee becomes cold, but they cannot change the past or future. Interesting concept, fast reads, heartwarming & heartbreaking, I am enjoying this series.

ETA: just noticed there is a 5th book coming in Nov!
I keep hearing about Before the Coffee Gets Cold and didn't realize there were more in the series.

I am on the last (for now) book in the A Court of Thorns and Roses series and it will be nice to take a break from bonkers angsty fairy drama for a while when I am done

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-24, 10:57 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Started reading Holly over the weekend. I get what people have said about the political overtones, but I think it's pretty consistent with how things were during the pandemic (and still are to a large extent).

Follow me @YogiBethC

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, off topic, off-topic, reading, spring reading