Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-20, 09:55 AM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

Exercise gloves: What do you like about yours?

I'm considering ordering some online. How do you like yours? Do you have any warnings about what not to get?

My hand measures 7.5", which appears to fall on the border of small and medium. I want some that are comfortable, well fitted, and not too hot while wearing.

Thanks for any advice you can give!

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-20, 12:49 PM  
tangerine

I have two types that I use to add intensity, handheld soft weights that nestle in the palms, the other are the regular gloves.

The ones I have are not the easiest to get on, but they are fine once I get them on. I would get one I could slip my hand into next time. The weight distribution is different than with the palm weights of course. They look like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Trademark-Inn...S1/ref=sr_1_17

It's a 'wrap around' style, and sometimes its hard to get them to wrap around.

I found these ones on Amazon and am considering purchasing them but they are pricy! :

https://www.amazon.com/Egg-Weights-D.../dp/B07FT7WF4H
"Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
tangerine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-20, 02:46 PM  
Taiga

Just to clarify, do you want protective exercise gloves (like for weight lifting) or weighted gloves?
Old 04-08-20, 03:32 PM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiga View Post
Just to clarify, do you want protective exercise gloves (like for weight lifting) or weighted gloves?
Thanks, I want gloves to use for lifting dumbbells, using bands, and lifting kettlebells. Do you have gloves that you like?

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

Old 04-09-20, 12:49 PM  
Taiga

I have used several different styles of the Harbinger brand and they all typically performed well and were comfortable. I initially bought them because the price was reasonable and I figured I would just replace them every 6-12mos. As it turned out, I have not needed to replace any of them. I like the vented styles (esp in summer). I also have a wrist wrap version similar to these. The gloves typically fit true to the size chart.

FYI--I use Cobra Grips and Versa Gripps for heavy lifting. Both are fine but I prefer the Cobra Grips (more comfy). HTH.

PS--Harbinger has cushioned versions--either regular or gel. My wrist wrap pair has good grip and nice amt of cushioning over the upper palm. I have a vented pair with gel that have also been winners---great for summer. The cushioning is just right--protects but does not interfere with grip.
Old 04-09-20, 06:46 PM  
Big Sky

Bionic gloves

I use Bionic gloves. I like the padding and durability. They do run small though but that was part of the appeal for me as I have small hands. I usually order them directly from the website. https://www.bionicgloves.com/all-products/fitness
Big Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-20, 08:55 AM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

Thanks for your responses! I'm going to have to do some more research before making my decision.

I think it's interesting, the sizing on the Bionic website, when I enter the two measurements for my hand, it comes up "No size available, please contact us." I don't know what that says about my hands.

If anyone else has any recommendations, please let me know!

Old 04-10-20, 02:55 PM  
cjayd
VF Supporter

You may not need gloves. If your dumbbell handles pinch your hands, you could tape them with athletic tape instead. Then you don’t have to fiddle with removing weight lifting gloves. You shouldn’t wear gloves with kettlebells anyway. Bells need to be able to roll in your hands to properly execute different moves like swings, snatches and cleans etc. If gloves are sticky they will catch the bells and you’ll end up with bruised forearms from the bells crashing into them. Just my two cents.
cjayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-20, 03:24 PM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

I've been looking around some more online and I'm wondering about the Rimsports Gym Gloves. Are any of you familiar wirh them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjayd View Post
You may not need gloves. If your dumbbell handles pinch your hands, you could tape them with athletic tape instead. Then you don’t have to fiddle with removing weight lifting gloves. You shouldn’t wear gloves with kettlebells anyway. Bells need to be able to roll in your hands to properly execute different moves like swings, snatches and cleans etc. If gloves are sticky they will catch the bells and you’ll end up with bruised forearms from the bells crashing into them. Just my two cents.
I remember that now about the kettlebells. What started me on this search was doing Cathe's Body Weight and Bands for the first time the other day and seeing what Cathe was talking about, that you may want gloves to wear during the workout. I was wishing I had some then.

Old 04-11-20, 02:32 PM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

After more researching, I decided to order these Contraband Pink Label gloves from their website. What sold me was the one year warranty and the very helpful customer rep that I talked to. If the sizing isn't right, I can return them with free shipping. I received a shipping email within a half hour of placing my order.

Edited to add that I just received my order today Wednesday, 4-15-20, that I placed on Saturday and they included their medium resistance loop band free! I would definitely order from them again. Two thumbs up for Contraband Sports!

Tags
gloves, lifting gloves