Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 04-05-20, 07:53 AM  
Helen

Sorry, no time for personals - just finished making lesson videos for Monday, as I'm not 'on class' but in a course all day - also online - hence the videos for the students.

Sunday
Jenny Ford - Super Sweaty Step Aerobics, 38min 8", with buddy via FaceTime.
We BOTH had sore bits from Bob's one yesterday.

I HAVE read everyone's posts, but I need to go to bed - although it's 10:52, we switched off daylight savings today, so it FEELS like 11:52.

Waving goodnight...
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-20, 08:00 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Checking in

Good Morning Everyone!!! So happy to see everyone checking in. Even if it's just a bit here and there. No personals necessary. I am just happy to "see" people!!! (I mean that!!!)

4/4/2020: Peloton Pink Ride with a group of fellow Pelotonians!! We scheduled it all together since there are no live rides being broadcast (Which I feel is a GREAT thing. NYC is the epicenter, so for pete's sake - keep our instructors safe.)** It was an on demand ride. Then I followed it up with an extra credit (points) for my power zone challenge team: Olivia Amato's Power zone ride (mostly in "Sweet Spot". Which falls between zone 3 and 4. Not my average endurance ride. .) The more I do her rides, the more I'm enjoying them. oh and it was 30 minutes. + A stretch.

** They (PSNY) did have an employee test positive, so shut the studio down for a deep cleaning. Supposed to re open for Monday I think? or maybe Tuesday. They have the instructors do a one on one, no audience, but I for one, feel it's not right. It's not "Essential".

That's about it. I don't have a lot to report.
But Today is a new day.
Going to focus on things I can control, make a list and get busy.

That's all for now.
Keep safe, wash regularly and sanitize!
Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-20, 04:45 PM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

Cleda - I agree that Peloton is not essential, but maybe this way they get paid? There is enough in their library to keep everyone happy, including me!
Fellow list maker here! On paper! And then we cross things off. It gives me a feeling of accomplishment, even when I haven't done much.
Helen - I hate the time change. It messes me up for weeks. I haven't done any Jenny Ford in a long time. I always liked her, and I like some of her locations, too. More interesting than a room.
Pam - that's a good reminder that I should clean my yoga mats.

4/5 - beautiful weather today! Dog walk and Leslie's Walk, Run & Lift, led by Nick. Then an hour in the garden. I liked Pam's idea of limiting gardening to an hour, that way I don't get too sore. It's amazing to see so many people going for walks in the neighborhood now.

“Let us rather run the risk of wearing out than rusting out.” Teddy Roosevelt
LiliMagill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-20, 05:05 PM  
Helen

CLEDA
It's weird, but hairdressers and sellers of alcohol (not allowed in supermarkets, not even for beer / wine) are allowed to open as deemed to be 'essential'. (rolleyes).

Your 'favourites' thing - feeling like I should add a code in my computer log for some kind of star rating. Hmmm... but that's a LOT of work and when I have so many virgins, or done just once - kind of no point is there? Good - talked myself out of that bit of programming.

LILI
Funny you should mention "interesting locations" - as the Jenny Ford we did looked to be a spare room in her house. Super boring, but fit our needs well. Her cueing is very good.
We've had lovely weather too - glad we're not on total lock-in (yet?), so getting out for dog walks is possible, and it's glorious out!!

First item on every 'to do' list should be "write to-do list" so you have something to cross off straight away - start with a feeling of accomplishment!

PAM
That's a LOT of movement you got in!!

Yes - cleaning! I'm looking at dust under the furniture - but have 2 weeks school holidays starting on Friday - it can wait.

Does the steam mop do rugs at all? We have a house full of wool/silk Afghani rugs and they cost a fortune to get cleaned, and they just lay them outside on concrete and scrub them down with soapy water. Does the job, but seems harsh treatment for such pricey items - thinking steam mop may be more gentle.

Have that online course all day today - luckily Bridget is home, so she can keep me fuelled with coffee, as from past experience, these things are seriously soporific! At the computer waiting for it to start.

There you go, ALL personals and NO business.
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-20, 07:50 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

This and that

As I am limiting my time on the computer & with news today. So must get busy!!!

Jenny Ford? I've done some of her step workouts (when visiting Mom) and I've done her ones on the beach and with a state park type background. Never one in a spare room!

Helen: Our liquor stores are allowed to be open. (Our state does not allow them in the grocery stores like some do) . Hairdressers, nail salons? Nope. I heard an interesting news piece on the liquor stores and it had to do more with economics and addiction and the reasoning behind deeming them "essential". I forget what most of it is about, but ... it was interesting. Go figure. !!!

Lili: I never thought of "how the Peloton instructors" get paid. I often wonder if they don't get a commission on how many clicks or people take their ON Demand rides too. I don't know for certain. But just some comments I've heard here and there. But I don't know. I love my Peloton workouts, but you know that. And the instructors are wonderful. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Pam:
I should take a page from your book and start cleaning! Good going on the workouts.

Me, me and all me ....

4/5/2020: Started to do Monday's ride. I was NOT into it. I think I've been pushing hard, a bit blue, I dunno ... but got on the bike anyway. Imagine my surprise when I made a NEW personal record on a 45 minute Matt Wilper Ride (Power Zone) that included sweet spot (between zones 3 & 4 88%-94% of Max Threshold) and zones 5 & 6 ... I was so happy about a new record. I don't get them often. I then went on to an Extra Credit ride to earn points for my team. Olivia Amato's 30 minute endurance ride. I kinda treated it as a cool down ride. Still staying in my zones, but definitely spinning the legs out. I then tacked on 2 stretches. Oh and imagine my surprise when that ride was #450 ????? 450 Bike rides on Peloton in a week short of a year. Wahooooooo ... I'll take it.

So despite not wanting to work out or get on the bike, I finished on a wonderful HIGH!! Yes!

The sun was out yesterday (for a bit) and it was in the 60s. Dh and I went out for a drive. (I sound like an old person now) and then we went to a historical park. We walked around (keeping our distance) and finally settled on a trail that was EMPTY. That made me much more comfortable. But boy was it great to get out.

The sun is out again today and it's supposed to be the best day of the week. I think I'll finish up here, go hit the bike, get my workout in, do some chores and then again - get outside. It's so important for my well being.

That's it for now.
Waves to all!
Stay safe, sanitize and check in!
Cleda
Old 04-06-20, 02:58 PM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

Our hairdressers are closed, but liquor stores and gun stores are open?
The liquor stores are because if all of the alcoholics get strung out, they don't want them crowding the hospitals. It kind of makes sense, except that I've never known an alcoholic to seek treatment in a hospital. But that is my limited perspective. The stores have to do with the whole 2nd amendment thing. I have very strong feelings about guns that I won't go into, but let me say that Australia's gun laws should be adopted worldwide.

4/6 - We took the dogs for a long walk this morning, then I did an hour in the garden. I still want to do a real workout, but I can't decide what. I'll check back later.
Back with my workout: 45 min 70's ride with Leanne Hainsby (loved the playlist) and 10 min Glutes & Legs stretch with Andy Speer. Not a fan, it hurt my knees.

Old 04-07-20, 12:43 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

April 5:
~Another hour of gardening trimming a huge fragrant rosemary bush in our front garden. It did smell heavenly!
~headstand
~ePilates: Full Body Band workout - This was nice, started some lovely shoulder stretches
~ePilates: Barre Legs - another good one, her cuing & instruction are always excellent

April 6:
Today was a rest day of sorts, started the morning with a migraine. Thankfully it is easing off but not quite gone....
~ETV: CS 1307 Strengthen Legs & Feet
~neighborhood walk
~Headstand
~Yin on my own including neck & shoulder stretches

Lili - Your ride to 70s music sounds great, I use a lot of 70s music in my Essentrics playlists. I hear you about guns, as a Canadian it’s hard for me to fathom gun shops as an essential service! Liquor stores I understand, it wouldn’t be good to have alcoholics going through withdrawal & DTs in the midst of all this covid stuff! Would make for an increase in petty crime & domestic violence I think.

Helen - I haven’t used my steam mop on rugs as we are all laminate & tile. I have area rugs but they are more like indoor/outdoor jute and wash up easily outside in warm weather.

Cleda - Do you cycle outdoors in warmer weather?

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-20, 06:19 PM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

Pam - Rosemary is so very fragrant! It can get really large, too. Unfortunately, ours die from a hard frost every few years and I have to start over.

4/7 - regular dog walk and KCM's Lean part of Strong & Lean. It's a kickboxing workout that I enjoyed.

If anyone is bored and wanting to learn something new, Bluprint.com is offering free classes until April 14th or 16th. They have everything from knitting, sewing, cooking, gardening, etc. Hubby watched one on drip irrigation for the garden.

Old 04-08-20, 06:32 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

What day is it???

Good Morning Every Dayers!!! Just checking in.

Pam: Yes! I like to ride outdoors, but sadly last year, I only got out once (if even that). It's tough to get out with work hours (this summer may be different?) And Dh doesn't like me riding alone. (understandable). I was getting the itch to do an organized century, but again - that kinda went away when this pandemic started. It still may happen. So in short the answer? Yes. I do ride outside. Ih ave a road bike and that's where it all began 18 years ago.

Lili: Now I have to dig out that part of Slim & Lean! That's why I love the check in. Gives me ideas. So thank you! I really like some of KCM's kickboxing workouts as they are a slightly slower pace and really seem to work for me. I love how you get outside ~ it is one thing I have discovered is SOOOO important. (today is rain though for me.)

Helen: Come out to play please!!!

Ok, on to me me and all me: Upon checking my excel sheet and logging everything for my coach, I discovered 2 things: #1) I've gotten 6 hours of sleep for two nights in a row. Skipped sleeping on the recliner and went straight to bed and feel so much better for it. (Or maybe it's because the workouts have been less?) OR ... #2.) I've gotten outside two days in a row. The sun was out, I had to go get gas, got out in the car and opened the sun roof. Life is good. I feel MUCH better.

Ok, here it is:

4/6/2020:
Denis Morton's Power Zone ride (45 minutes) Olivia Amato's 10 min. cool down ride + a stretch

4/7/2020:
Denis Morton's Power Zone ride (45 minutes) + Olivia's 30 minute PZ ride + Sam Yo's 10 minute Cool Down ride** + 2 stretches

** I must like this cool down ride. According to my one app? I've done it 10 times. Yep. I think it's my most done ride EVER. Of course, it's only 10 minutes.

I'm keeping pace with my challenge. (a smidge ahead of the pack.) I will be done (hopefully) with the week - today. That will give me Thurs.-Sunday to get in some extra rides (head start on the 4th week), different workouts (les mills? treadmill? dvds?) and play around before getting ready for the next week. You all know I feel better with a slight cushion.

Yesterday while riding, I got the spinny, spinny wheel of death and thought NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ... I can honestly say that only happened a few times in the almost year I've owned the bike. (Maybe 5?) and I do think it has to do with the amount of traffic on the internet. But it quickly (whew!) resolved.

If I repeat myself, I'm sorry. Too lazy to go back and check and talk to far too many people. Peloton has cancelled all live rides in the studio for the instructors till further notice. I for one? Am so very glad. Keep people safe! And heaven knows there are plenty of rides to do ON DEMAND. I'll never get through all the ones that look good to me.

Our governor has extended the "shelter in place" order for an additional 30 days (for now). School was cancelled for this school year (and indefinitely - his words, not mine) and he closed all county and state parks and forests. So no trail running, riding, investigating .... I honestly understand it. We went to a historical park on Sun. and I was shocked at the amount of people just standing around chatting and being near one another. I kept saying to dh, "They aren't 6 feet apart". We found a trail that had NO ONE on it so that's where we went. But still. . . .

I went out for gas yesterday. I'm one of those that is getting 4 weeks to the gallon! And the price has dropped dramatically. First time under $2.00 a gallon ($1.97) in a long time. It was at Costco, so it's $.20 to $.30 cheaper than most of the stations around me. I thought about going in to do a toilet paper check, but NO! I don't need it (for now) and by the time I do? I hope it's in stock. I've taken to marking my calendar to see how long it takes to go through rolls. And by the time I get down to worry status - I will start looking. That won't be for awhile and it's slowly coming back into stock at many stores.

Ok, off to get chores done.
Make it a great day!
Wash your hands frequently, social distance & sanitize!
Cleda
Old 04-08-20, 03:54 PM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

I went for a real run today!!! 3.36 miles, I did a little walking on the 3rd mile. I went to the state park where there is a wide trail. Everyone was very respectful of their distance. This is the 2nd time my Garmin hasn't downloaded, so I need to search for a solution. I really don't want to buy a new one - I just don't run enough to justify it.