Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-14-22, 09:39 AM  
Gams

OT - ? for anyone with cheerleader in the family

My sister’s granddaughter is trying out for the cheerleading squad at her high school. If she makes it, her fees will be $1,115. I was shocked - is this normal? Do the athletes have to pay huge fees as well!
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-22, 10:04 AM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

I have never heard of that type of fee for high school unless maybe it’s a competitive travel team that competes at Nationals.

But, for Club teams (not high school) than definitely! Club soccer is around $2500, baseball is $3000 and basketball $750. Those are the ones I know about anyways. I’m not sure about sports like hockey, etc. But, prices may vary based on location.
Gemini2874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-22, 10:51 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

I've never heard of that either. My niece is a HS cheerleader (through her school). In the past she was on a squad that was not affiliated with the school at all and that was expensive. She did that in middle school and in 9th grade. Once she made the varsity squad at school, she stopped the other one. Too expensive and she didn't have time anymore anyway.

This varies by how the school district is setup as far as their budget for sports, so it's different everywhere.
Old 03-14-22, 03:31 PM  
edensmom

My daughter was a high school cheerleader maybe 3 years ago. I paid close to that amount but more. Cheer is an expensive sport. Another daughter of mine does competitive cheer (competitions only, affiliated with a cheer gym not a school) and it's wayyyy more.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-22, 04:55 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

when my son played HS basketball, JV squad, his uniform package was $250, sponsored by Nike. We also did a lot of fundraising. this was in 2015.

this same DS was in pop warner football back in 2009, and his fees were $300 which included the helmet, body pads, jerseys and shoes. i'm sure it's gone up and for an older player, the costs would be higher.

for cheerleading, the uniforms and pom-poms would be customized and probably expensive.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-22, 05:11 PM  
alisoncooks

Wow! I’m shocked. Back when I played sports (90s), the schools owned the uniforms and they were reused each year. I can’t imagine my parents being willing to shell out that kind of cash!

That seems to unfairly favor the affluent. I’m assuming there are ways for the less privileged to still participate? (Not looking for answers, just pondering aloud…)
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-22, 06:13 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

I have a friend who's daughter was a cheerleader at a private school and it was very expensive. In California, at a public school they legally cannot make a family pay to participate in sports (as I was told), but the schools in my area try to get away with it and most families can pay and do, but I think if there's a child who wants to participate and made the team but cannot pay, the school has to find the funds.
Old 03-14-22, 06:29 PM  
Sissy B

My daughter played high school basketball and it was around $200-250 per year. The school owned the actual game uniforms, but they got team practice shirts, warm up suits, slides, etc. They did do fundraisers to offset some of the costs but if your child didn’t raise the amount required, the parents paid the difference.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-22, 08:25 PM  
edensmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
For cheerleading, the uniforms and pom-poms would be customized and probably expensive.
Exactly. They measure everybody and make their uniforms to fit them, including several pairs of shoes and even underwear. I *believe* it even included practice clothes but it's been a few years. There was a monogrammed backpack.
Some of the fees are for competition, camp etc.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
off topic, off-topic