Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-04, 11:51 AM  
Susan

My Leslie Sansone ramp arrived today!

Did anyone else get their WalkBlaster kit today, or am I just one of the lucky ones because they ship from NJ and I live in NJ? (I ordered on September 10th, so I was pleased about the delivery time.)

So far, I'm very pleased with my purchase and think the price was a real bargain. The ramp looks exactly like Gin's ramp, including the logo. There are 3 DVDs in the kit...

Slim and Thin - 31 minutes, described as an introductory cardio workout;

Shape and Firm - 32 minutes, described as target training moves to shape your hips, thighs, and buttocks, interspersed with fast-paced walking intervals;

Sculpt and Burn - 42 minutes, described as the ultimate workout for maximum results. It's supposed to be an accelerated weightloss and toning workout, combining cardio and strength training moves to target and sculpt your entire lower body.

I didn't see any mention of upper body work, but it would be easy enough to add. There's a new, palm-sized set of sandfilled weighted balls in this kit, and they seem more comfortable to hold than the larger ones were. I don't know if they're used in the ramp workouts, but I suspect that they are not. (OOPS! I just previewed part of one video, and the opening credits show them using the weights.)

It looks like this set is absolutely, positively targeted toward lower body work, which may not be for everyone, but is exactly what I was hoping it would be.

Assembly is very easy, which is good because there are no instructions. The ramp is adjustable to 2 heights (like Gin's -- it's exactly the same,) and is nice and sturdy as long as you remember to assemble it with the longer leg in the center and the two shorter ones on the side. Of course, I only mention this in case anyone else out there is as dumb as I am and doesn't think to check the length of the legs before sticking them on. To make assembly even easier, push the pins through all of the holes before you put the legs on, to make sure there are no little bits of plastic in the way. I had a little trouble attaching the first leg because of a stray piece of plastic that was hanging along the edge of one of the holes, but it was fine as soon as I took it back apart and pushed it through the hole with the pin.

Sorry to ramble, but I know a lot of people have ordered this kit, so I wanted to post a quick preview. I'm going to try at least one of the DVDs tonight, and will post a review ASAP. I'll also do my best to compare Leslie's style with Gin's, because I know several people were on the fence about which kit to order.

Susan

Last edited by Susan; 10-04-04 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Noticed that the weighted balls are used in the workouts!
Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-04, 11:59 AM  
Joe

That's great! Can't wait to see the video reviews. Thanks for the tip about the pins and the holes for the legs. Knowing me, I'd probably struggle through something like that.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-04, 12:06 PM  
bluecaffeine

Awesome!!

I'm glad I chose Leslie's Ramp, as I was able to pick up some Gin Ramp dvd's really cheap on the YaYa, so now I feel like I'm gonna get the best of both worlds. YAY!!!!!!!
bluecaffeine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-04, 01:30 PM  
PamelaP

Whoo hoo! Mine just arrived too. I'm shocked that it came, since I haven't been charged for it yet. I'm so glad you posted that yours arrived, Susan, otherwise I probably would have already done my workout by now. After your post, I figured it couldn't hurt to wait until the UPS guy made his rounds in my neighborhood...and it paid off! Now off I go!
PamelaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-04, 04:24 PM  
RovinUSA
VF Supporter

Oh, Please somebody post some reviews of these! I can't wait to hear (read) all the details

Shelley
RovinUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-04, 04:53 PM  
PamelaP

I did the beginner workout this afternoon...I think it's called Slim & Thin or something like that. I'm gonna have a heck of a time remembering these titles. Anyway, it was kind of an interval workout. She started with her regular type walking exercises at a fairly brisk pace, then slowed it down for the first set of work on the ramp (mostly taps at that point), then sped it up and did stuff on the floor again, then slowed it down for more ramping (taps, mambos and some actual stepping), etc. etc. It was about 30 minutes and I enjoyed it. It definitely was no more complex choreographically than Gin's Basics workout...probably less so. I'll try the next workout either tomorrow or Wednesday and report back.

ETA, the Slim & Thin workout does not use the weighted balls at all.
Old 10-04-04, 05:16 PM  
Doodleday

I got mine today also! I ordered on 9/14 and I live in CT. I tried the Slim & Thin (blue cover) workout. I liked it. The timer was there like other Walk Away the Pounds workouts. I also own the WATP Express DVD's and did recognize some of the walkers.

When I workout I "mirror" the instructor, as I imagine many of you do also. Leslie kept saying to "tap the green" and really that would be purple for me, because Leslie is on her left foot, but I'm mirroring her so I am on my right foot. I have some of Gin's ramp workouts on order, so I am interested to see how she handles the cueing. I certainlly didn't have any problems overcoming this.

Some of the steps (as mentioned earlier) were mambos, step up left and tap right, step up right step up left step down right step down left, standing center on the floor and crossing your right to touch left green and then just the ususal walking, knee lifts and kicks. Sorry I didn't know any "techinical" terms for the steps.

Let me take a moment to say thank you for letting me come out of "lerkerville" and feel comfortable making my very first review! Many of you have inspired me and many of you have "enabled" me! Now if I could just find time to do all the workouts I have now purchased!

Debbie
Doodleday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-04, 06:39 PM  
Susan

Thanks for the info on Slim and Thin -- since two people have already tried that one, I'll try a different one tonight. I'll do the Shape and Firm workout and will report back later!

I'm so glad to hear these ramps are arriving more quickly than we'd expected!

Susan

PS. Glad to see you've emerged from lurkdom, Debbie!
Old 10-04-04, 08:51 PM  
PamelaP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodleday
Some of the steps (as mentioned earlier) were mambos, step up left and tap right, step up right step up left step down right step down left, standing center on the floor and crossing your right to touch left green and then just the ususal walking, knee lifts and kicks. Sorry I didn't know any "techinical" terms for the steps.
If I'm remembering correctly, Gin actually had reversed colors on the ramp for her workouts so that she could mirror-cue correctly.

Happy delurking, Debbie!
Old 10-04-04, 10:23 PM  
Susan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaP
If I'm remembering correctly, Gin actually had reversed colors on the ramp for her workouts so that she could mirror-cue correctly.
It would have been nice if Leslie had done this, as I prefer it when instructors mirror cue. When I did the Shape & Firm DVD tonight, I was always on green when Leslie was on purple. The moves were all simple, so it wasn't a problem, but it would have been nicer if she'd changed the colors the way Gin did.

Susan

Tags
ramp, ramping, walkblaster