Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-04, 10:25 AM  
NeedsToDoIt

Question Counting Calories

OK, I've read in many places that a pound is about 3500 calories.

For the last 60 days, thereabouts, on average, I have consumed about 2200 calories per day and have burned about 3200 calories per day. So, according to simple math, I should have lost about 17 pounds in those 60 days.

But, I've only lost about 7 pounds. So, what happened?
I do feel much more tone (from exercising these 60 days) and have increased strength. Have I added about 10 pounds of muscle? I doubt it could be that much?

Or, do the type of calories come into play? While I average about 2200 calories per day on the intake, about 1000 calories per day, on average, are from carbs. Does that matter? Is that the reason for the difference between the 7 and the 17?

Anyone know why this has all broken down the way it has? TIA.
NeedsToDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-04, 10:44 AM  
Peggy T
VF Supporter

This thread may be shut down since we're not supposed to talk about diet, but yes you do gain muscle poundage when you start strength training.

How do you know you are burning 3200 calories a day? That seems WAY high to me.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Peggy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-04, 10:46 AM  
GymRatt
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Elliott
How do you know you are burning 3200 calories a day? That seems WAY high to me.
I was thinking the same thing... Unless you're VERY heavy or VERY, VERY active, that's kind of hard to do...
GymRatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-04, 10:51 AM  
WWWendy
Community Manager

Hi

Hopefully someone with more knowledge of metabolism than I can answer the scientific issues of your question. As you probably know by now, talking about diet specifics isn't allowed here, and discussion of types of calories is likely to cross the line into diet specifics.

My first thought (already echoed by other posters) is how do you know how many calories you are burning in a day? If you are going by averages, and estimates of how many calories your workouts are burning, then it's quite possible you have over-estimated your true calorie expenditure. Even heart rate monitors and cardio machine counts of calories burned are based on averages, and you may or may not be "average." just something to consider.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
WWWendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-04, 11:26 AM  
Megan
VF Supporter

Yes, definitely re-evaluate that 3200. I find that on a heavy workout day I burn somewhere around 2200 (According to FitDay, which, as with any simple method, includes some amount of human error).
Old 09-20-04, 12:19 PM  
NeedsToDoIt

All - thanks.
No, no, no, I don't want to talk about diets, I know that's a no-no here.

To the questions on the 3200 burned a day..........it's straight from fitday. I downloaded the program and have been running it since 7/15. The averages and calorie counts come right off their software. And, I'm usually pretty conservative with the inputs. For example, if I have a piece of cake, but I think it's larger than the "average size" I will input it as 1.25 of a piece. Or, if I did an activity such as "take a shower" I don't input that (because it's not a lot of time) and just include that on a larger input "like" sleeping (where the calories burned is not at a high rate at all).
Old 09-20-04, 12:36 PM  
NeedsToDoIt

More on the 3200..........I just checked fitday.com, according to the inputs I used online (not the program I use on the home PC), I burn about 3300 calories a day - 2000 basal and 1300 from "lifestyle." According to this: http://walking.about.com/cs/calories/l/blcalcalc.htm
I burn about 2500 a day without factoring in any exercise.

I think it's because of my size - 5'10", 209 lbs, - and age (42) that I can burn so many calories by basically showing up.
Old 09-20-04, 12:58 PM  
GymRatt
VF Supporter

You might want to see if a fitness facility nearby has a BodyGem, so that you can get a more accurate count. More on BodyGem: www.healthetech.com
GymRatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-04, 01:10 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I watched Cooking Thin on the Food Channel the week before last. On that episode, they showed some type of device that you breathe into. The device will then register your calorie needs. It apparently must analyze the heat you're generating, since calories are a unit of heat.

The woman who was analyzed was only burning 1100 calories a day. She was a small person, but even so that's not very much.

My own theory is that individual metabolisms have a tremendous rate of variation.
Old 09-20-04, 01:15 PM  
SurferGirl

I had BodyGem done last year at Bally's for $20. It said I burned 1200 at rest. I'm 4'11", so I don't know if this is good or not. Right now I'm on a 1200 diet plan and don't know if I eating too little for my height and weight(113). I exercise at least 5 days, sometimes 6 days a week.
SurferGirl is offline   Reply With Quote