Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-18, 11:23 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

My grievance is that 'old' is always presumed to be a negative thing. Why is this? Other cultures/times past have revered older people for their wisdom and experience. Youth was synonymous with, among other things, impetuousness and folly. Of course, youth has also had positive associations, but the reverence for youth today is crazy. Pursuing youth is chasing the wind. We're all aging, every second of the day. It's inevitable. I'm opting out of the 'trying to look younger' thing.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-18, 02:24 PM  
DCW

Y'all have made me notice that when I am surfing I find at the bottom of the page "such and such female actor looked like this...she doesn't look like this at age 61 (any number over 45).

I never click. Heck nobody looks like they are 23 at age 63. I find it unamusing that it never has men portrayed. Click and see how former famous male actor at 25 now 65.

On the other hand....

Attending a funeral, I saw the gravestone of elementary school classmate who died before age 25. So I am grateful for getting older and having the years he never had. Getting older is truly a gift to be treasured.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-18, 11:32 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
My grievance is that 'old' is always presumed to be a negative thing. Why is this? Other cultures/times past have revered older people for their wisdom and experience. Youth was synonymous with, among other things, impetuousness and folly. .
A few years ago, I was having a conversation with a friend, a woman who is the same age as I am. We were talking about a lecture/lecturer we both had heard.

I mentioned that I thought the ideas were callow.

And she looked at me as if I were crazy. 'What do you mean, callow? There's nothing lovely or beautiful about those ideas.'

I said, 'Callow--sort of like the word it rhymes with, shallow. Basically, those ideas were too immature and they foster a sort of immaturity.'

Then she said, 'No, callow means beautiful. I know you've heard the phrase 'callow youth.' '
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-18, 12:23 PM  
Sara1000

Very telling
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-18, 12:48 PM  
sugar rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
Then she said, 'No, callow means beautiful. I know you've heard the phrase 'callow youth.' '
That's shocking!

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

William Shakespeare, Hamlet
sugar rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-18, 06:20 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post

I have ceased to be shocked by the words people don't know or use inappropriately. That's a good one though!

Sara1000said: "I have pretty much accepted looking older but I am not willing to accept losing strength to the point where I can't get up from the floor or a toilet. I will focus where I can do something, not on the changes in looks, which are pretty much inevitable short of a lot of surgery."

Yep, this is where I am. Just short of 65 I'm happy to keep up with the young 'uns in dance videos, easily get up or down from the floor, and do my share of helping our much younger health aides to lift and turn our bedbound patients.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-18, 08:36 PM  
Sara1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer R View Post
I have ceased to be shocked by the words people don't know or use inappropriately. That's a good one though!

Sara1000said: "I have pretty much accepted looking older but I am not willing to accept losing strength to the point where I can't get up from the floor or a toilet. I will focus where I can do something, not on the changes in looks, which are pretty much inevitable short of a lot of surgery."

Yep, this is where I am. Just short of 65 I'm happy to keep up with the young 'uns in dance videos, easily get up or down from the floor, and do my share of helping our much younger health aides to lift and turn our bedbound patients.
That's what I was trying to say. When I read my words quoted it sounded like I was willing to settle for way less than I want to. I want to stay as strong as possible and keep challenging myself. A while back I had slacked off and lost some strength. To get back into shape I got several senior type workouts and did those for a while. I worked myself through those, through Margaret Richard, and now I'm back doing Cathe. I lift lighter than she does but about as heavy as I ever did, going back several decades. I will never be a Cathe but I want to stay as strong as I am.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-18, 12:43 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCW View Post
Y'all have made me notice that when I am surfing I find at the bottom of the page "such and such female actor looked like this...she doesn't look like this at age 61 (any number over 45).

I never click. Heck nobody looks like they are 23 at age 63. I find it unamusing that it never has men portrayed. Click and see how former famous male actor at 25 now 65.

On the other hand....

Attending a funeral, I saw the gravestone of elementary school classmate who died before age 25. So I am grateful for getting older and having the years he never had. Getting older is truly a gift to be treasured.
I love your last sentence. How very true.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-18, 02:42 PM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
My grievance is that 'old' is always presumed to be a negative thing. Why is this? Other cultures/times past have revered older people for their wisdom and experience. Youth was synonymous with, among other things, impetuousness and folly. Of course, youth has also had positive associations, but the reverence for youth today is crazy. Pursuing youth is chasing the wind. We're all aging, every second of the day. It's inevitable. I'm opting out of the 'trying to look younger' thing.
I wish I had the clapping emoticon, haha. Well said.
Old 06-01-18, 07:12 PM  
vdub

Quote:
Originally Posted by annette View Post
I think I put the pressure on myself. My husband continuously tells me I'm beautiful. I tell him he needs to put on his glasses.
I'm just grateful these two things, aging and failing eyesight, happen simultaneously.
vdub is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
age, aging, body image, fat talk, old talk