Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-18, 10:09 AM  
leigh1673

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorprincess View Post
I never thought I was vain, until I started seeing someone else's face in the mirror. I don't recognize her. I don't know how you get used to that.
Ha - I am seeing somebody's face in pictures that get taken of me lately too. But I DO recognize her. It's my mother. Kind of freaky.
leigh1673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-18, 06:00 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorprincess View Post
I never thought I was vain, until I started seeing someone else's face in the mirror. I don't recognize her. I don't know how you get used to that.
I've never been a vain person. Truly. And I don't mind the signs of aging that being almost-57 and an early menopause have brought me. I've always had very good firm skin so the inevitable thinning and sagging are... interesting but okay. My problem is the newish-but-droopy 'downstrokes' on either side of my mouth.. don't know what they're called? Not so much the fact that they're there but that I guess they give me a sour or unhappy expression because, unless I'm smiling, everyone asks me "What's wrong?" and I'm like .
I guess I finally have a 'bitchy resting face' and I have to come to terms with that. :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne Marie View Post
Annette, I know you are speaking tongue in cheek, but this brings to mind a conversation I had with my boyfriend recently. He is the sweetest, most complimentary man ever. He showers me with lovely compliments all the time, including calling me beautiful. He confided in me that he was very appreciative of the fact that I didn't "negate" his compliments with negative responses.

I think sometimes as women we struggle with accepting a compliment gracefully, feeling we are being conceited or boastful if we don't disagree or downplay the compliment. I have made it a priority to never say anything back to a compliment from him that doesn't express my pleasure to him that he is saying nice things to me. I am learning this is also a great way to feel better about myself, and even realize that at 61 I'm still lovely and attractive to him. And that is what matters!
And your boyfriend is ALSO referring to your radiant inner beauty, you know.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-18, 10:17 AM  
Sara1000

As we age we should be more focused on how we move than how we look. Unless you have a physical job or work out with weights you will lose strength as you age. Make sure you maintain enough strength to get out of a chair or get up from the floor.

I keep talking about my MIL because even though she has exercise with a PT she doesn't seem to do enough. Last night she was trying out a new cushion in a straight chair and slid off onto her behind - she could not turn over to her hands and knees (which still might not have enabled her to get up). She called my DH and he went over and pulled her up by getting her to put her feet on his and then he grasped her hands and pulled her to standing.

I have pretty much accepted looking older but I am not willing to accept losing strength to the point where I can't get up from the floor or a toilet. I will focus where I can do something, not on the changes in looks, which are pretty much inevitable short of a lot of surgery.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-18, 10:34 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I've never been a vain person. Truly. And I don't mind the signs of aging that being almost-57 and an early menopause have brought me. I've always had very good firm skin so the inevitable thinning and sagging are... interesting but okay. My problem is the newish-but-droopy 'downstrokes' on either side of my mouth.. don't know what they're called? Not so much the fact that they're there but that I guess they give me a sour or unhappy expression because, unless I'm smiling, everyone asks me "What's wrong?" and I'm like .
I guess I finally have a 'bitchy resting face' and I have to come to terms with that. :/

And your boyfriend is ALSO referring to your radiant inner beauty, you know.
These are called marionette or puppet lines.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-18, 04:16 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eam531 View Post
Haha that fits!
Old 05-10-18, 08:33 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eam531 View Post
And they SUCK.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-18, 10:28 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

I decided that aging’s not for me . It cracks me up when I look at ads for jobs and they say they are looking for a senior attorney with 5-10 years experience. Someone out of law school for that many years doesn’t have enough experience to be considered for a high level position. Of course, many of the young lawyers think they know everything, but if they try to pull one over on me, they always regret it. That’s the good thing about being experienced—-the wisdom (and intolerance for nonsense).

I hope to remain young-at-heart. So long as I stay fit and strong, and have good luck and good health, I don’t care what the calendar tells me. Plus, dermatology has come a long way towards helping us maintain youthful skin. I also believe that the mind and attitude have a tremendous influence on the body.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-18, 10:09 AM  
warriorprincess

Fun fact: I took a selfie with an app called Face App, pressed the button to turn it male, and I was looking at my Dad's face. Now that was freaky. It didn't work with younger pictures of me though.

My DH also often tells me I'm beautiful, though I don't remember him doing so when I was younger. I know he means it, but my inner child screams 'liar' every time.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-18, 11:13 AM  
glavtx
VF Supporter

I'm 60, and I don't mind aging. I just want to stay healthy, and since that isn't necessarily age related, I'm o.k. with myself.

I'm walking daily, weight training again regularly after a few years of almost nothing, and while I may never look as good as I did 10 years ago, I'm feeling better than I have in a long time.

If the only prayer you say in your life is Thank You, that would suffice.
Meister Eckhart

It is our resistance to things as they are that causes most unhappiness.

When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your
strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no
reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself. Tecumseh
glavtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-18, 05:56 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glavtx View Post
I'm 60, and I don't mind aging. I just want to stay healthy, and since that isn't necessarily age related, I'm o.k. with myself.

I'm walking daily, weight training again regularly after a few years of almost nothing, and while I may never look as good as I did 10 years ago, I'm feeling better than I have in a long time.
Yay, nice post and good for you!!

Tags
age, aging, body image, fat talk, old talk