Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-16, 07:58 AM  
sbh

Anyone else starting over again?

It's been a rough year for me!! Stress, illness, and re-injury have sidelined me all of this year. All the gains I had made are gone. I literally just started over again yesterday. And I was afraid to start again. I was in so much pain from my re-injury of my low back that I could not even walk my dog. It was an effort just to get to the bathroom! So I made myself do a Leslie Sansone walk yesterday. I literally was scared to do it, but I made it through 30 minutes. Today my back is still tender, but no spasms.

sbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-16, 08:24 AM  
BunnyHop

I'm sorry you've had so much trouble!

Have you tried the Classical Stretch back injury workout dvd? It's my go-to when I think I might be headed for trouble. I like it because part of it is designed to be done while you're having back pain, the rest is for strength building maintenance.

I seem to be in a permanent starting over mode, life gets in the way.

Shorter workout segments strung together seem to work well for me. (CS, Jessica Smith dvds, KCM, etc.)
Old 07-22-16, 08:39 AM  
PennyK

PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-16, 09:01 AM  
bzbnmom

Good for you for starting!!!

Yeah, I keep trying to start over, this whole past year. Injuries, stress, sickness, and fatigue. Right now I'm trying to get over fatigue and keep thinking tomorrow is the day I'll start. Minor joint pains have healed but I'm sure new problems will crop up if I don't start exercising very soon. Former Cathlete here, I just bought my first Leslie DVD in 10 years and also have 2 Classical Stretch seasons on their way, seriously never thought I'd be buying these, but they look just right for me. Maybe I'll start in a few days? I guess I'm a little worried about starting too. I don't want any new tweaks or more exhaustion.

Meanwhile, this past year my home is getting into great shape and has lost a lot of weight. Instead of regular exercise, I've been cleaning up and getting rid of a lot of stuff that's been in hiding. There is a ton of stuff you can hide in closets, basements, bookshelves, and spare rooms! The workout DVDs will all stay though (and will have more room to expand).
bzbnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-16, 09:02 AM  
furmomof6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbh View Post
It's been a rough year for me!! Stress, illness, and re-injury have sidelined me all of this year. All the gains I had made are gone. I literally just started over again yesterday. And I was afraid to start again. I was in so much pain from my re-injury of my low back that I could not even walk my dog. It was an effort just to get to the bathroom! So I made myself do a Leslie Sansone walk yesterday. I literally was scared to do it, but I made it through 30 minutes. Today my back is still tender, but no spasms.

I am! I have been chronically ill for the past 2+ years, finally diagnosed with late stage Lyme disease. I went through treatment and am feeling better for the most part, and about 5 weeks ago started getting back into fitness. (While I was sick there were months where I could literally do nothing, but did manage to walk and do some videos here and there). My endurance and strength were also gone but I am slowly building back up. I can't even tell you how many set backs I had trying to get back into working out consistently but I think the key is persistence and listening to your body. Take it slow and don't get discouraged. Just take one day at a time and you will get back on track!

My shop wordforthesoulart.etsy.com

"For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come" (1 Timothy 4:8)
furmomof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-16, 09:32 AM  
sbh

Hugs to all of you!!! I know your pain and struggle oh so well. Thank you all for the recommendations. I have tried CS in the past and it only aggravates my low back injuries. It's one of the many workouts I avoid. There is no PT that would help. It is permanent and can't be fixed. So I adjust and modify. Believe it or not, ballet does not aggravate my injury. I haven't had a ballet class in over a month. I need to work on building up my stamina again before I can take a whole class. I miss it.
sbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-16, 11:11 AM  
ARTmethodfan
VF Supporter

After a bad year, I restarted about 6 months ago with Terry Walsh's ART @ Home beginner workouts. There is a short thorough warmup video that you use for all workotus. Then there are two tech study videos - so you can choose which one you want to use. I started with the easier one. The beginner workouts themselvers are shorter with a lot less reps than the full mat workouts. They weren't so easy that I felt that I wasn't working out but they weren't killer. (These are available with the ART method PowHow subscription.)
ARTmethodfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-16, 12:18 PM  
doglover

I'm also starting over after 3 1/2 yrs. Stress and back problems for a few years and my husband passed away 1 1/2 yrs ago.
Started with Karen Voight's Yoga Focus and Cathe's Pyramid Upper Body.
Old 07-22-16, 12:26 PM  
Sollamyn

Yes, I'm another re-starter. I've had some menopausal and life issues that are hampering my fitness and diet efforts and I've been gaining weight and getting less and less fit as time marches on. I've got next week off from work, so I'm going to try to pull myself together (a little bit, anyway!) before I go visit a friend in Kentucky next weekend.

That being said, I will be exploring my DVDs to come up with some short, fun and/or easy workouts to start me off on the right foot. Once I get going, I think I'll stick with it. And diet! Ugh, I will have to really focus on feeling better, in order to make better food choices. I know what I need to do, but my motivation and spirit are really low right now and I'm reaching for all the wrong foods--except fruit. I love fresh fruit, so I have at least been getting that part of the D-word right!

Donna
Old 07-22-16, 01:06 PM  
Kitten

There's a check-in for beginners and restarters.

http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=214044

We're all at different levels. Please come join us!
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote