Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-16, 06:02 AM  
Tugger31

Question Workout room color?

I have a large finished basement (long, narrow space), but with old carpet and in need of a new coat of paint. Half of the living area is a family room the other half is my workout area. I have a couch, love seat and large ottoman all in dark moss green and a nice wooden (mahogany/dark reddish stain) tv stand. I don't want to replace the furniture. I'm stuck on what color to paint the walls. We'll probably get a berber carpet is a light beige/tan. I can't find a color that will work in both areas that wouldn't be too overwhelming in a large space but that is bright enough to spruce up the dark basement. Any ideas??
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-16, 08:47 AM  
SpiritYogi

Personally, I would go with any shade in the white family -- egg shell, cream, off-white, etc.
SpiritYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-16, 10:01 AM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Both my old workout room and my new one (I just moved) are in the basement with little to no natural daylight, unfortunately. But in both of them I have/had a very light yellow, not like a lemon yellow but just saturated past a white color (current color is "crème brule") and it is very cheerful and nice to work out with! I tend to prefer neutral colors but I will say a hint of yellow gives more cheer and light to a darker area than just white.
Old 07-12-16, 10:41 AM  
casey

You should take an accurate phone picture of the couch color and go to the paint store to look at sample colors against it. I have a Caribbean blue green with pictures from active vacations all over one wall. (White water rafting, skiing, lobstering with family) That makes it my happy place. Try to take a little time to pick the paint color because you will spend time in that room. Paint color in a room can change the whole vibe and make you want to be in there.

You can also paint 3 walls white/eggshell and have one accent wall so it isn't too dark.
casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-16, 10:55 AM  
Tugger31

Right now it's a pale taupe. I put a light/cream color on the wall in a small area and it looks sterile for lack of a better word. I have been reading to put a saturated color on the wall and I'm considering that I just want to make sure it's not too dark and not too much in one area. I'm considering an accent wall in another color. Decisions, decisions! I'm definitely going to get an area rug to ground the living room space and will purchase that before I do the paint since it's easier to pick paints to match a rug than the other way around. I'm not interested in the burgundy/gold/green palette. Maybe some sort of blue walls with some punches of lime green and orange in some pillows (??)
Old 07-12-16, 11:12 AM  
SpiritYogi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger31 View Post
Maybe some sort of blue walls with some punches of lime green and orange in some pillows (??)
My yoga room is a really light blue color and I love it!
Old 07-12-16, 11:38 AM  
Tugger31

I'm leaning towards blue, just don't want it to look like a baby's room. Also the rest of my house is subdued shades like grays, coppers, olive greens. Though this is a separate space I want it to flow somewhat. There is a guest room off the main area that's done right now in olive green/cream comforter with dark sage green walls. I may end up painting that room to help it all flow, but I won't be getting new bedding. I don't want to to break the bank!
Old 07-12-16, 12:55 PM  
kat_b

What about a soft orange with the moss and mahogany? The right shade from that family would be energizing and fresh for a workout space but should still flow with your copper, olive and gray colors.
kat_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-16, 01:52 PM  
Tugger31

I thought about some shade of orange, still looking for the right one. I'm having a hard time finding a "neutral" orange that doesn't look like peach or coral. I like terra cotta but don't want anything too dark and also wondering if it might be too much in the space since it's so large (we're talking 18' x 30' or so). I want my reaction to be wow, nice cozy space, not wow you're basement is orange! That's why I was leaning toward orange as an accent, but still not discounting it as the main color!
Old 07-12-16, 03:17 PM  
SpiritYogi

A lot of hardware and paint stores let you buy samples. You should pick out three or four shades you like and apply them to the wall. Seeing the color on your wall vs. a small paint chip may really surprise you (in a good or bad way)!

Tags
workout rooms