Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-04, 01:16 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Wendilee herself ought to qualify for VF Certification, because surely there are at least 3000 posts on the topic of Body-B-Fit.

Man, you can't buy this kind of publicity... Anna Benson must be jealous!
Old 09-20-04, 01:20 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I am not sure that all VFers agreed that certification is not important, just that it does not necessaryly mean that you are good at what you do. Is this not true of many professions? I sure know a few PhD's in my profession (chemistry) that cannot make a 10% solution of sugar!

This is a big deal in what I do, software training. There are people who can't teach their way out of a wet paper bag who have certifications out the wazoo! I get rather irritable when people tell me I need certifications...

That has nothing to do with topic. Just thought I'd share...

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Old 09-20-04, 01:25 PM  
Aline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta
Wasn't there some sort of stink ages ago about Cathe planning to do a yoga workout. That she wasn't certified. I wonder where Wendilee gets her yoga certifications?
haha I can see right through that post, Alta - loosely translated, it means: "Let's see how we can stir up even more trouble!"<evil grin>

This thread is very entertaining!
Old 09-20-04, 01:28 PM  
RovinUSA
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B
Wendilee herself ought to qualify for VF Certification, because surely there are at least 3000 posts on the topic of Body-B-Fit.

Man, you can't buy this kind of publicity... Anna Benson must be jealous!
LOL! You have a point there! However, I wonder how many others reading these threads (like me) were curious about these workouts and thinking of ordering, but now wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole? This is my first time posting on one of these threads, but I've certainly been reading them.

This sort of thing just disgusts me. It is shady and deceitful. Sure, I'm a certified sports nutritionist now too, but you won't see me bragging about it (except in jest ) because this is obviously not legit. And I am going to be really wary next time I read/hear that someone is certified. Certified by whom? It is really too bad that there is stuff like this available.

On another note, can anyone tell me which certifications are respectable? I have been interested in this for a while now. I expect to study, work hard, and demonstrate proficiency in order to become certified - not just pass an open book online test that you can take as many times as you like, oh yeah, and pay a bunch of money!

About the chocolate - I thought it was an essential nutrient?

Shelley
Old 09-20-04, 01:30 PM  
GymRatt
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie M
It is a bit "shady" when the one major selling point of an instructor is that you are hiring a "personal trainer" to come into your living room, but they hold no certifications and continue to demonstrte poor understanding of exercise form.

Then, when it becomes a bone of contention that they do not posses such said certifications, they announce that they have 4 new ones. Then we find out it is a 10 minute online test with an instant certification number that you can keep taking until you pass!
Shady is an understatement... :rolleyes:

Getting off the 'certification' issue for a moment... what kind of fitness training does Wendilee have? Is there a fitness supervisor on the videos? (BBF'ers, don't get mad...it's just a question. (actually, it's two))

BTW, Congratulations, Crystal!!!! You've done us all very proud!!
Old 09-20-04, 01:34 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GymRatt
Shady is an understatement... :rolleyes:

Getting off the 'certification' issue for a moment... what kind of fitness training does Wendilee have? Is there a fitness supervisor on the videos? (BBF'ers, don't get mad...it's just a question. (actually, it's two))

BTW, Congratulations, Crystal!!!! You've done us all very proud!!
I doubt she does, GR. I just finished S&H and I have a strong feeling that one of her children was counting the reps for her. I could be way off base, but this was my gut feeling during this workout.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Old 09-20-04, 01:39 PM  
Debbie M

More

Wendilee's webpage now says:

Certified Instructor . . .

Kickboxing

Ballroom Dancing

Nutrition

Lifestyle Management

Sports Yoga

Pre/Post Natal

Children’s Fitness

Children's Fitness and Pre/Post Natal are very specific certifications. I don't see how she could have these when she just got her PT and SN certifications by the online quickie method. Usually you need a base certification with an agency before you can expand to specialities like seniors, children.

She is also claiming 6 years experience in personal training with over 200 clients. I wonder if that is counting everyone who bought a DVD or uses her online personal training.

I have no idea about Gymratt's questions. A BBF person would be better able to anser that question.

Deb
Old 09-20-04, 01:41 PM  
lissalaurel76

Just thought I'd say that I also passed the "sports nutritionist" test, took me about 10 minutes. I got an 88% , but won't pay the money to get the certificate. The only reasons to get the certificate are either just for fun, or to deceive people.
Old 09-20-04, 01:44 PM  
Jacqi A
VF Supporter

I had a Mom commitment, went away for 5.5 hours, now I come back to see that half of VF is certified? I'm off to do that test now, too.

Thanks for the answers about the chocolate . I feel much healthier now.
Old 09-20-04, 01:45 PM  
Suzette
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lissalaurel76
The only reasons to get the certificate are either just for fun, or to deceive people.
or to declare chocolate the most important part of the food pyramid, as I will be doing.
Closed Thread