Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Recipe Box
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-07, 09:19 PM  
Diana3271

Plastic Microwave Omelet Maker

Has anyone used a plastic microwave omelet maker? I have seen these at Walkmart and I always think eeew. This omelet maker was mentioned today on another forum and they said it makes light, fluffy omelets. I love omelets at restaurants because they are light and fluffy, at home mine are not fluffy or light. Maybe this is what I need. Does anyone have experience with one of these contraptions? LOL
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-07, 09:24 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

When I was growing up, I had a friend who's mom used to make eggs in the microwave, and although it sounds gross, they came out fine - fluffy and nice.

However, I am suspicious of eggs in the microwave, as I once read a blurb in Discover magazine that said that microwaves put extra double bonds in protein structures, thus making those molecules undigestible. Take it with a grain of salt, but I stick to pan cooking my eggs.

As far as making them fluffy, do use use milk or cheese in your eggs? Also try beating them with a rotary beater rather than a fork or a whisk...

Good luck.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-07, 09:46 PM  
Diana3271

I normally use the cartons of egg whites. I could try beating them some with a wisk and see if they get fluffy, as long as I don't get a meringue, LOL.
Old 01-29-07, 09:51 PM  
Deanna
VF Supporter

I don't have the omelette version, but I've got the plastic egg poacher made for the microwave. I love it.

I won't eat eggs unless they're light/fluffy...and browning them? FORGET it! Try mixing in a small amount of water before you scramble them. Also, barely beat them...only lightly stir them until they're mixed enough to say-so. Over beating makes eggs tough.
Old 01-30-07, 04:47 AM  
shy_kitteh

Re:

I think you'll find the key to a fluffy omelet is in the way you prepare the eggs prior to cooking them.

When working with eggs, I try to have them at nearly room temperature. If I beat them I use a stainless wire wisk and use either a glass or stainless bowl.

If I were making a fluffy omelet I'd wisk in either a bit of water or some milk.
It doesn't take much. I've used a pinch of double acting baking powder in the past as well. The acids of the eggs act on the baking powder when wisking and then the heat of cooking acts too in order to provide the lite fluffy quality.

Double acting baking powder can be made of a tsp of Cream of Tarter, a tsp of Corn Starch, and a tsp of Soda. It's handy for getting fluffed up foods.
I've even used it in mashed potatoes.
shy_kitteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-07, 09:12 AM  
ooty

DOn't buy the plastic one. There are so many controversial reports about plastic in microwave.. I say, just don't bother. Just do it the old fashioned way. I do have it and used it a couple of times. But I am not a regular egg eater and don't know if my omelet was fluffy or not.. I just did not like the plastic usage. Also, the lid kind of won't shut and I don't know where it is langusihing in my kitchen now. I got it ..oh, may be 5 years ago..

I don't eat eggs often.. so may be I don't know the importance
Old 01-30-07, 09:50 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I put mine out in the recycle trash. Ick. I whisk my eggs with eggwhite, a bit of milk and use one of those Foodie gizmos - it's the best eggbeater ever! They always come out light and fluffy in a skillet.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-07, 09:51 AM  
ooty

Pat,

Hello!
haven't bumped into you in a while
I am off now racing out the door.

had a TIlak moment last week and thought about you.. just an emotional practice for me
Old 01-30-07, 11:44 AM  
Diana3271

The answer must be in beating the eggs. I'll have to try that. I think I'll avoid the plastic thingy -EEEEWWWWWW, LOL
Old 01-30-07, 01:43 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Tilak Hi Ooty! I enjoyed Tilak last week too. I still have to get the picture of us sweaty ones developed at Ana Forrest!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote