Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-20, 10:53 AM  
Gams

? for those who count steps and do low impact cardio

For cardio I mainly do Jessica Smith, YOUv2, some Kathy Smith, Kelly Coffey Meyer, Gilad and Leslie. It seems like I pretty consistently get 1,500 steps for every 15 minutes of cardio. I think I have one Gilad workout where I get quite a bit more, but can’t remember which one it is. Does anyone use a low impact cardio workout that seems to rack up a lot of steps?
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-20, 12:18 PM  
OSusanna

I don’t have an answer to this but I have the same question! Anyone?
OSusanna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-20, 03:08 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

1500/15 min means you're music is at 100 BPM. if you find music (audio to the workout video) higher than 100 BPM, you will increase your steps.

so the question might be - which workouts have a BPM equal to or higher than 100 for most of the workout? doing those will naturally increase the # of steps assuming you're marching to the beat.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-20, 04:09 PM  
Gams

bzar, I don’t think that’s necessarily true because a lot is going to depend on choreography. A workout with a lot of marching is going to register more steps than choreography with more kicks or knee lifts. Some movements aren’t counted by a pedometer like marching is. ( I have some cardio workouts where I only get 2000 steps in a half hour - and they are fast-paced, but the choreography has a lot of steps that don’t get counted.)
Old 04-16-20, 05:39 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
bzar, I don’t think that’s necessarily true because a lot is going to depend on choreography. A workout with a lot of marching is going to register more steps than choreography with more kicks or knee lifts. Some movements aren’t counted by a pedometer like marching is. ( I have some cardio workouts where I only get 2000 steps in a half hour - and they are fast-paced, but the choreography has a lot of steps that don’t get counted.)
thanks for your post.
it's a general rule.

it also depends on how sensitive your device is.

edited to add:

this thread mentions turbo kick registering "steps" on the VFer's device:
http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=187659

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-20, 06:21 PM  
Gams

Yeah, we did a contest once with friends and family to see who could get the most steps and my sister discovered if she rocked forcefully in her rocking chair, her pedometer would register steps. 😂
Old 04-17-20, 09:39 AM  
donnamp

I have gotten "steps" from driving, LOL!
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-20, 09:43 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
I have gotten "steps" from driving, LOL!
Our paper shredder is lousy, so I started just tearing up the paper. My polar watch registered the arm movement as steps!

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-20, 11:29 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Our paper shredder is lousy, so I started just tearing up the paper. My polar watch registered the arm movement as steps!
I used to have a huge step count when I vacuumed -- with my jawbone (is that what they were called?) on my wrist.
Old 04-18-20, 09:57 AM  
sherry7899

I did an hour long Body Combat class (low impact) and racked up 5,000 steps.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
low impact cardio, pedometer, step count