Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-10-18, 04:08 AM  
Tugger31

Question Embarrasing Question

I am about one of the most behind the times person you'll probably encounter. When people have workout apps on their phones, I'm assuming you watch the workout from your phone and follow along (?) The screen is so small! How do people do this?? Many of the workout apps don't work on my phone and I've thought about upgrading my phone but don't want to workout looking at a tiny screen (compared to my TV screen in my workout room). Please enlighten me.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-18, 04:32 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

there's workout apps that are audio only, and you can save audio workouts on your phone.

personally, the smallest screen i have ever worked out to in video format is my 7" portable DVD player - it's not bad. also, i have used a 10.1" tablet for yoga - pretty good - i can lay on the floor and watch and do the poses. there's a couple of threads where VFers posted on how you play a video on a small device (like a tablet) and hook it up to a regular TV using an HDMI cable. you can google different setups to see what devices you can rig together.

i think people adapt. it's amazing how many options we have now! i've even played a DVD on my portable DVD player, and watched a TV program on a medium sized TV screen at the same time!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-18, 05:37 AM  
Carol K

No, I think I'm the most behind the times person, because I don't even have a smart phone, just a flip phone that doesn't connect to the internet. But I do workouts from the internet. I play them on my laptop and use a Chromecast device to stream them to my TV.
Old 05-10-18, 06:26 AM  
Dontmindthemess

Tugger I stream a lot of workouts on my phone and what I do is use a small adapter that plugs into my phone and connects to a HDMI cord so I use the TV. It’s really easy to use. I have a 2+ year old iPhone and haven’t had any problems. I think android users sometimes use a device to cast to the tv. I don’t know exactly how that works. I would make sure that you have a good internet connection/speed to stream before you invest in anything. It seems internet speed is what really stops people from streaming.

Jane
Dontmindthemess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-18, 06:50 AM  
Carol K

And a good wireless router too. I had a lot of issues before I finally replaced my old router.
Old 05-10-18, 08:19 AM  
geojill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontmindthemess View Post
Tugger I stream a lot of workouts on my phone and what I do is use a small adapter that plugs into my phone and connects to a HDMI cord so I use the TV. It’s really easy to use. I have a 2+ year old iPhone and haven’t had any problems. I think android users sometimes use a device to cast to the tv. I don’t know exactly how that works. I would make sure that you have a good internet connection/speed to stream before you invest in anything. It seems internet speed is what really stops people from streaming.

Jane
I do the same thing because Airplay (using Bluetooth) no longer works with my phone and older AppleTV. So I skip that and use a lightning to HDMI adapter and connect my iPhone directly to my tv using an HDMI cable. It works great!
Old 05-10-18, 08:30 AM  
Exercise Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontmindthemess View Post

Jane
I do this too, and it is super easy - this is also coming from the biggest klutz when it comes to technology.
Exercise Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-18, 08:32 AM  
Exercise Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol K View Post
And a good wireless router too. I had a lot of issues before I finally replaced my old router.
Carol, I think I need to replace my router too, but I'm worried that it's going to be overly complicated - as I said in my earlier post, I'm a complete klutz when it comes to technology. Did you have someone do it for you or was it something you could do pretty easily?
Exercise Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-18, 08:41 AM  
Carol K

I actually did it myself. The instructions were pretty easy to follow. I got a Linksys. My old router was a Linksys too, so that's the only brand I've used.
Old 05-10-18, 09:17 AM  
marki64

I just learned this whole process a few months ago. I now have a good understanding of the HDMI cable and how it works, but I felt extremely stupid too. However, at work and home, no one made me feel stupid. I think it is a constant challenge for even tech savy people. Technology can make workouts better, but at the same time it is a lot of putzing around. I love being able to stream you tube on my big screen tv, but it has had it's issues. Signing into a you tube account via my tv, caused a lot of problems and my husband straightened it out. He is pretty techy, but it took him quite awhile to find the problem. I finally am able to do YT again. I am just delving into the music streaming arena. Fun, but again, putzy.

I often just like the ease of throwing in a dvd!
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
500 error