Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-22-18, 09:42 AM  
lorajc

Unhappy How Much Do You Think Form Has to Do with The Quality of Your Workout?

Everything? Ha??

Well, if you know me around here....you knew this question was coming...LOL.

I have been getting back to basics and focusing on...you got it, FORM, an WOWZA, either nearing 60 is getting to me, I AM severely out of shape and having trouble getting back into my workouts, or focusing on good/proper form in a workout "does in fact" affect the quality of your workout.

Perhaps these workouts weren't making me this sore if I wasn't putting the effort/form into properly? What do you think?

I remember doing Piloxing before and feeling nothing.....I am officially sore all over from it.....focused on my "form". She gave excellent pointers.

I have been doing the same with everything from weights, to pilates to yoga ......you get the picture!
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-18, 11:04 AM  
Cowgirl32

I'm in my late 20's. I have been doing a fluidity rotation. I thought ...ohh I can just do all advanced modifications. Felt nothing.

Backed up my pelvis position and just followed the beginner modifications/pointers. OUCH. It's hard working out at home. This is why I have a mirror!
Old 02-22-18, 11:07 AM  
donnamp

Hi Lora,

I think form is really important and makes the difference between getting a good workout in and just going through the motions. Careful attention to form also helps w/ minimizing the risk of injuries, so it is all good!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-18, 12:53 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

When I got into barre and light weight/high rep in my late 20s/early 30s, somehow I really woke up to proper form. It's not that I didn't have good form before, I had been doing Firm classics workouts with heavy weights for years, without a single injury. But with barre you have to REALLY focus on your form for it to be challenging, and after that I paid a lot more attention, and now some of my previous intermediate workouts can become advanced with immaculate form, which is totally great

ETA: Like Cowgirl mentioned, it's easier to have good form (or perhaps harder to cheat) when you have a full length mirror in your workout room!
Old 02-22-18, 02:43 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Hi Lora,

I think form is really important and makes the difference between getting a good workout in and just going through the motions. Careful attention to form also helps w/ minimizing the risk of injuries, so it is all good!

Donna
+1.

I'm revisiting my Ana Forrest yoga DVDs. Her form pointers are superb. When she makes a correction to someone in the "class" I sometimes realize that I'm making the same mistake! It really helps me be mindful, allows me to get deeper into poses, and not get injured. It also makes the practices more challenging.

In kundalini yoga, the experiential aspects of the kriyas are emphasized more than form, but I do appreciate teachers with good form--Ana Brett, for example. (But I often would do some exercises in the kriya more slowly than she does, to protect my joints.)

It's really easy to get injured doing exercises with poor form. It's much better to use good form, and if that means fewer reps, lower weights, going slower than the instructor etc., that's fine.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-18, 10:47 AM  
lorajc

Hi - thanks everyone....you helped me feel a bit more "real"...so to speak..."not so frustrated/challenged" in this journey!

What brought this all on is that I had discovered that I WAS going thru the motions and using improper posture AND form....with a bad injury for many years!!! and now I am trying to correct all of this!! And my goodness the difference is amazing....thanks all....and I'm finding it really gets you in shape....I wondered why I never got results back then...LOL! Between that and the D word!

Yes, and this is an entire new discovery of my old DVD's also...which instructor's give the best form pointers. I love Eion Finn's yoga pointers.....he always says the right thing. I'll have to try my Ana Forrest. I know I have a Rachel Brice Bellydance that has a yoga segment in it and I do it often as her BREATHING is spot on....and it REALLY helps my anxiety and my chest breathing problem. Also, helps me work on the in-breath and out breath with the movement which I never really focused on before until now either...(.it's hard for someone with asthma to do the in-out breath....especially with Pilates/Kundalini breath-work because your out-breath is longer than your in-breath ...they are not of even lengths.....if anyone else can hear me on this annoyance.....say yes!! LOL)
Old 02-23-18, 10:54 AM  
lorajc

Quote:
Originally Posted by eam531 View Post
+1.

I'm revisiting my Ana Forrest yoga DVDs. Her form pointers are superb. When she makes a correction to someone in the "class" I sometimes realize that I'm making the same mistake! It really helps me be mindful, allows me to get deeper into poses, and not get injured. It also makes the practices more challenging.

In kundalini yoga, the experiential aspects of the kriyas are emphasized more than form, but I do appreciate teachers with good form--Ana Brett, for example. (But I often would do some exercises in the kriya more slowly than she does, to protect my joints.)

It's really easy to get injured doing exercises with poor form. It's much better to use good form, and if that means fewer reps, lower weights, going slower than the instructor etc., that's fine.
Yes, I go slower, focus...do less!!! exactly! I go slower than Ana to protect my spine on some moves, even though I "say" I'm not modifying in Kundalini anymore...I mean I'm going into full poses in other moves....
Old 02-23-18, 12:08 PM  
leigh1673

Yes - form is everything! Even my "easier" workouts like Leslie Sansone are made significantly more challenging when I really take the time to focus on my form throughout the workout.

It's easy enough to just go through the motions, but taking the time to keep my shoulders down and back and my core engaged the WHOLE time is a different ball game.
leigh1673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-18, 05:54 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Hi Lora,

Donna
This!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-18, 07:11 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebianco View Post
When I got into barre and light weight/high rep in my late 20s/early 30s, somehow I really woke up to proper form. It's not that I didn't have good form before, I had been doing Firm classics workouts with heavy weights for years, without a single injury. But with barre you have to REALLY focus on your form for it to be challenging, and after that I paid a lot more attention, and now some of my previous intermediate workouts can become advanced with immaculate form, which is totally great

ETA: Like Cowgirl mentioned, it's easier to have good form (or perhaps harder to cheat) when you have a full length mirror in your workout room!
Yes yes yes yes yes. My form in EVERYTHING, including lifting groceries out of the car, is better since I started doing barre.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote