Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-28-20, 10:13 PM  
OSusanna

These are great responses! Thank you so much. I have some of the workouts that you’ve mentioned but haven’t tried them. I’m trying to master the ones I have one workout at a time.

I’ll answer my own questions:

1. Who do you think is the best cuer out there?
For me it’s Christi Taylor. I just received the Steven Sansouce however and I’m looking forward to it.

2. Who has the most interesting routines?
I recently did a Gin Miller and I was surprised at how complex yet easy to learn it was.

3. Who has the most athletic workouts?
Amy Bento Ross advanced step challenge. Lots of unavoidable jumping in that one.

4. What has been your top 3 step workouts over the years?
Christi Taylor Still Steppin
Gilda
An old Cathe hour long one that I cannot remember the name of.

5. Do you still do step?
Lately? Yes. 1-2 times per week.

6. Who is the most underrated instructor out there?
I think Jenny Ford because she will help to bring step back. People nowadays aren’t as inclined to do the brain work that complex step requires so her simpler routines will help a new set of people.

Keep the responses coming! I have lots of videos I have not tried yet and I’m thrilled to hear them mentioned I.e. Seasun Zeiger, Tracey Stahle, Steven Sansoucie.
OSusanna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-20, 06:21 AM  
Cher

Fun thread!

Who do you think is the best cuer out there? Christi Taylor, Kari Anderson, Jenny Ford (but not her first dvd)

2. Who has the most interesting routines? Christi Taylor, Season Ziegler, Rob Glick

3. Who has the most athletic workouts? Cathe, Amy Bento

Cathe Cardio & Weights Step Only premix
Cathe Imax 2
Christi Taylor Total Cool Step

More recent - Cathe’s Party Rockin Step #1 and being taken over by Cathe’s new Step Sync & Imax 4 Step Combos only. I swear I have been pulling these out and doing a segment or 2 (or more) at least a couple times a week. They are perfect for my level right now after not being able to exercise for a couple months.

5. Do you still do step? Yes, at least 2 or 3 times a week. It’s my favorite form of cardio.

6. Who is the most underrated instructor out there? I think I would have to say Jenny Ford. Great at teaching for beginners and her more intermediate workouts are a lot of fun.
Cher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-20, 07:43 AM  
Garrie A.

I love step!!! It's my favorite form of cardio next to spinning.

It's a three-way tie between Christi Taylor, Gay Gasper, and Steven SanSoucie. As a fellow group exercise instructor myself, I appreciate good cueing.

Seasun Zieger (RIP), Christi Taylor, and Patrick Goudeau (judging from preview; I've never tried any of his workouts yet that I've owned)

Cathe

This is a tough question, and I cannot narrow it down to just 3. Sorry!

-Seasun Zieger's Stepping Up/CIA 2903 (This one is her most complex, and it does take some patience to learn due to her "force-feeding" most of the choreography and changes to you, but it is worth the time to learn it. It also has the best music--top 40 remakes with actual lyrics and not the fake ones Cathe uses. The music, choreography, and Seasun's energy all comes together perfectly. It's her best IMHO.)

-Cathe's Step Blast (This is my favorite Cathe step workout. You learn three step combinations then put them all together in a challenge, including an interval blast in between each round of the combinations.)

-Christi Taylor's Step Heaven (on her Fantastic Four DVD; this one is 80 minutes but I only do the first two segments for an hour long workout. The first step segment is moderately complex with five shorter combinations, while the second segment is complex with two longer combinations. The second segment is done with the step in a vertical orientation. The third step segment is a cardio/weight circuit that gives you the option of continuing in a cardio holding pattern or picking up weights. As always, Christi picks excellent music and her personality always puts me in a good mood. It's a tie between this one and Still Steppin' as my favorite. Speaking of which...)

-Christi Taylor's Still Steppin' (also on her Fantastic Four DVD; this one is formatted similarly to Step Heaven. The first segment is four combos with the step in a horizontal orientation, while the second segment is three combos with the step in a vertical orientation. Unlike Step Heaven there are modifiers showing easier options to the choreography. The music is good, too.)

-Gay Gasper's All Out Infused Step/CIA 2701 (fun choreography, great music, and Gay's cueing is excellent as always.)

-Cathe's Rhythmic Step (I like this one because it's the only Cathe where she splices/zig-zags/weaves/sandwiches all three combos together at the end. It's what I wish she would've done in StepSync. )

Honorable mentions: Donna Read's Step Fever and CIA 9701, Seasun Zieger's Rock Steady Step, Cathe's Party Rockin' Step 1, Steven SanSoucie's Stepping Alive, Franny Benedetto CIA 9905, Philip Gray CIA 2206 (RIP), Becky Chamberlain Kicked Up Step/CIA 2k04 (aka The One with the Tinfoil Suit)

5. Do you still do step? Yes, once or twice a week. I have to be careful because sometimes it's all I want to do for cardio. So I cross-train with kickbox, hi-lo, and spin bike.

6. Who is the most underrated instructor out there? Donna Read. She has an adorable personality and cues pretty well. I wish she made more workouts, but now she focuses on a yoga studio she co-owns in Montreal. And while she's mostly behind the scenes, Lisa Wheeler did a step workout in the Method Pilates series that I loved--Step Up to Dance. That's a good one to bridge into more complex choreography.
--------------------------------------------------------
CLX 6/19-9/19
STS Grad 11/19-2/20, 9/20-12/20

Current Focus:
Retro Rotation!!

Check out my blog by clicking on the "Home Page" link under my profile name.
Garrie A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-20, 07:49 AM  
owltx

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergame View Post
I think people either love or hate KCM's Step-Boxing videos (she has four of them). I love the aspect of getting a good upper body workout while stepping and she comes up with interesting, doable combinations.
bergame, I love all of the KCMs step-boxing videos! I agree, definitely a love/hate relationship here. These are a lot of fun. I do consider them on the fringe of the step genre when I categorize them in my mind. I also love her step bonus on Strength and Stamina - so much fun!
Old 04-29-20, 07:51 AM  
owltx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelePA View Post
Cathe is also my go to! There are just too many favorites for me to name. Her Greatest Hits Step DVD includes many of them.
I love Cathe as well - and her Greatest Hits DVD is really awesome and pretty underrated as well, IMHO. Her earlier routines had such great music and you really get the best of them on this DVD. The premixes are great on her as well.
Old 04-29-20, 07:57 AM  
owltx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrie A. View Post
Seasun Zieger's Stepping Up/CIA 2903 (This one is her most complex, and it does take some patience to learn due to her "force-feeding" most of the choreography and changes to you, but it is worth the time to learn it. It also has the best music--top 40 remakes with actual lyrics and not the fake ones Cathe uses. The music, choreography, and Seasun's energy all comes together perfectly. It's her best IMHO.)
I love this one too, precisely for all the reasons you describe above. I would say the music in this one is *the best* in all my step videos. I realize that is a strong statement, but it is really, really good. The reason I put Z-fit slightly above this one is I think I get a slightly better cardio workout (I like the little blasts) and because of the blasts, there seems to be slightly less repeats. But they are both really great workouts.
Old 04-29-20, 08:43 AM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergame View Post

I think people either love or hate KCM's Step-Boxing videos (she has four of them). I love the aspect of getting a good upper body workout while stepping and she comes up with interesting, doable combinations.
I personally love KCM's Step-Boxing! And her step bonus from Strength and Stamina is FUN!

I am kind of a klutz when it comes to the step so I don't do any step too complicated. I love Christi Taylor's step from Mission Possible and her Ultimate Cardio Core workout. Jenny Ford has great intermediate step workouts that aren't too complicated. Gin Miller cues well and has more athletic than dancey step workouts. That's all I can think of right now. If a workout has a lot of pivots and twirls around the step I'm out...I don't want to injure myself tripping over the step!
Old 04-29-20, 09:24 AM  
horusosiris

Christie Taylor, Gay Gasper,

Patrick Goudeau, Seasun Zieger

Cathe, Amy Bento

Gay Gasper- All Out Infused Step, Deidre Morris- Tap less, Step More, Amy Bentos ASC 2

5. Do you still do step?

Yes, a few times per month

6. Who is the most underrated instructor out there?
Gay Gasper

I also love KCM's Step Boxing routines.
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-20, 09:47 AM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

I'm just going to answer #5 right now. Yes, I still do step. As a matter of fact, just a few days ago I had to remind myself to get on the bike and do something different.

I have lots of workouts from VHS to downloads and lately I've been going back to the choreographically easy ones and using light weights. I enjoy the slower controlled pace with the added intensity of a few extra pounds. I also use the step with walking workouts and make up my own routines. So, just the opposite of learning new choreography I was going to start a thread about my experiment.

Now that I've started typing...

Cathe's cueing in her "Classics" and "Greatest Hits" compilations was always excellent (those were probably my most used until a few years ago).

I love Kari Anderson's Body Tech, Push and Classic Step with Jay Blahnik (I'd love to try Hot Steps if anyone has an extra one!)

And now I'm enjoying Jenny Ford's workouts.
Old 04-29-20, 11:22 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

OSusana these were great questions. Which Gin Miller was complex yet easy to learn? I'm just having a rekindled passion for step -- actually never was hugely into step -- mostly just a Cathe exerciser, so it's mostly Cathe I know. Thanks!

Tags
favorite step, step, step aerobics, step workouts