Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-13-15, 05:29 PM  
aspidistra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio6 View Post
Joyce Vedral does aerobic weight training AWT and claims you can lose x amount of pounds in 6 months time for example just by a regular program.

Has anybody here ever actually done that? Just curious.

TIA to all.
In 2009 and 2010 I did her program and it was her book that got me to buy my first weights - 5, 8 and 10 lbs. I believe I first used Now or Never and then I got most of her other books. When I look at pictures from then I can see my arms and waist were a lot smaller than they ever became using other methods (I gained weight in 2011-2012 and then got fit in 2013 using other methods). Because of new osteoarthritis I stopped using the weights ... I used only the 3 lbs. Tracy Anderson method - which did make me thin and fit - but not as perfect as the heavier weights did - so people, as long as you are healthy and can use weights without any issues, those weights are gold. Everything else in her method is standard. I am convinced there is something in the use of the 3 different weights. I still keep them on the dining room table but I have not used anything but 3 lbs. in over a year...always wanting to go back to that lithe and indented waist and beautifully shaped arms... So yes, I have a special fondness for Joyce Vedral's workouts. Her body type is completely opposite to mine as I am tall. You will not end up looking like her (she admits to eating whatever she wants much of the time). I never got the muscular look from using weights. Just the definition in the body that was the best of my life.

PS in most of her books she says your body will reach perfection in one year. She also tells you in how many weeks and months you will see each area improve. I am quite sure that would be true with nearly any good exercise method. I never went a solid year on the program so I only reached NEAR perfection. (I saw the beautiful arm definition after only a few weeks of using the weights. It was that indentation in the upper arm when before it was just a straight line).

Last edited by aspidistra; 04-13-15 at 05:35 PM. Reason: to add something
aspidistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-15, 07:36 PM  
lisarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio6 View Post
I mentioned in a post above that bcse of hip issues I frequently sub lying weighted leg work, which is similar to the unweighted lower body work in Vedral's Bathing Suit Workout.

The resource for weighted lower body work as well as some nice variations on traditional exercises, that I like, is retro -- Luciana Avedon's Body Book. The link to it on Amazon is:
http://www.amazon.com/Luciana-Avedon...n%2C+body+book

She previously wrote The Beautiful People's Beauty Book under the name Princessa Luciana Pignatelli before she remarried Mr. Avedon. That book is where I first learned the lying weighted leg work.
so, which book do you recommend more? thanks!

Do or do not...there is no try. ~Yoda

Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world. ~Miyamoto Musashi

Group Fitness Instructor
BS in Kinesiology
lisarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-15, 11:43 PM  
Scorpio6

aspidistra -- thanks so much for your detailed post! Very helpful!

Lisa -- I recommend Luciana Avedon's Body Book, it's more comprehensive than the Beautiful People's Beauty Book.
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-18, 05:45 PM  
MomOf2Gremlins

Alert!Old thread revive!

Funny, how I seem to come back to JV over and over again, each year!😁😊
Anyone else by any chance? I'm planning on focusing on Joyce these next 3 or 4 weeks,hopefully with some pilates/stretching fit in as well!😉

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

MomOf2Gremlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-18, 06:54 PM  
imhere2dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomOf2Gremlins View Post
Anyone else by any chance? I'm planning on focusing on Joyce these next 3 or 4 weeks,hopefully with some pilates/stretching fit in as well!😉
It's been almost 4 years since I posted in this thread. I no longer have any of Joyce's DVDs. I got rid of them when I decided to downsize my collection a while back. Kelly Coffey-Meyer replaced Joyce, and I still like Tamilee Webb and Denise Austin for strength.
imhere2dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-18, 07:06 PM  
OSusanna

How so very very strange. 2 weeks ago I purchased as many of her books as I could find. I’m still waiting for some of them to arrive. I’ve not seen her DVDs but I’m thinking about doing 6-8 weeks of the 12 minute workout.
OSusanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-18, 07:07 PM  
Scorpio6

momof2gremlins:
I seem to come back time and again to Joyce. I'm planning to work on her fat loss workout as soon as I get well. Currently dealing with strep throat, exhausting cough, sinus infeciton, and double ear infection.

For pilates, I currently like Cassey Ho. for yoga, I love the Morning Cup of Yoga, altho it's a bit of a collectors item. Nice spiral bound hard cover book with a CD, only takes 15 minutes, all done standing or sitting.
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-18, 07:37 PM  
MsThistlebottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomOf2Gremlins View Post
Val!!! So funny you should post this today. I'm dealing with PF in both heels--at least I think that's what it is--and decided today that I should alternate strength training with yoga, Pilates, and rehab workouts for the next few months. I don't do high-impact cardio, but even workouts with moderate impact have made my poor feet worse.

I always start thinking about a Joyce workout around this time of year. Great minds think alike, eh?

Scorpio, I'm so sorry you're not feeling well!

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-18, 07:46 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSusanna View Post
How so very very strange. 2 weeks ago I purchased as many of her books as I could find. I’m still waiting for some of them to arrive. I’ve not seen her DVDs but I’m thinking about doing 6-8 weeks of the 12 minute workout.
Just my opinion, but Joyce really shines with her books. Her DVDs, not so much. Her counting is off, her form isn't very good, and she uses weights that are way, way, way too light for her and so she flings them around. Her books, though, are great. The first weight routine I ever did was Joyce's 12 minute workout, and I also did her pyramid workout--both of these were from her books. I always really liked Joyce's minimalist approach to home workouts (dumbbells only, and a step bench, or you could use your coffee table!). On at least some of her workouts, you can go heavy on the weights, too. She is a wealth of info on gym-style workouts.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-18, 01:55 PM  
MomOf2Gremlins

Imhere2dance,
I'm glad you found other instructors to work out with! I love KCM myself but have a fondness of JV's simplicity (and her quirkiness).

Susanna,
I started with JV's books almost 16 years ago. She was my first introduction to working out at home with just a bench and a few different DBs.
I only found her DVDs a few years back and have yet to do them all (maybe this time around? ) but the books are amazing on their own, as others have stated here already!

Scorpio,
I'm sorry you're not feeling well right now (yikes, you got it all!), I wish you speedy recovery!

I love Cassey Ho for Pilates! Her short segments make it very possible to fit them in during the day! The Yoga workout sounds also like a nice option!

Joan,
I was hoping you'd see this old thread! I thought of you when I went through the posts as well as through my JV papers where I found some of yours again, too!
Sorry to hear about your PF in both feet! I hope you'll feel better soon!

I no longer do high impact cardio either and TBH recently my liking to do cardio is at a low and Joyce's weight training is just right up my alley! I still sweat but I'm not lobster red and huffing and puffing! LOL

My challenge is also fitting in Pilates as well as some Yoga.. and then there's barre that I truly love (right now mainly SB Barre Amped Bounce -love to jump!), so I often wonder where I could fit that one in, too...

For the time being I'm focusing on doing JV 4x/week (ideally 2x UB & 2x LB), mixed with 1 yoga day and/or Pilates/Barre. -I'm hoping to add some 10-15 min Pilates segments on each day.

eam531,
I agree with you, she shines much more through her books, but what I love about her DVDs is that she's 'approachable' for me, she's a normal human being with her funny comments and all, she somehow doesn't intimidate me to follow along her and work out. (vs KCM for example, I adore her, but she's way out of my fitness league.. Does that makes sense?)

As to equipment, yes, I love her simplicity!

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

MomOf2Gremlins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dynamic tension, fast forward, joyce vedral, top shape, weight loss, weights only