Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-05-14, 03:56 PM  
MsThistlebottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy View Post
When I do a Joyce Vedral 3 days a week upper and lower alternating split training, I lose weight, and my clothes get looser and that is around the 6-8 week mark.
This has been my experience too. Right now I'm also struggling with the too little time, too many choices dilemma as well. Thank you for reviving this thread. It was a good reminder that I need to return to the tried and true workouts.

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-14, 04:11 PM  
MomOf2Gremlins

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsThistlebottom View Post
This has been my experience too. Right now I'm also struggling with the too little time, too many choices dilemma as well. Thank you for reviving this thread. It was a good reminder that I need to return to the tried and true workouts.
Well said, Joan!
Funny how I keep coming back over and over to Joyce myself!

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

MomOf2Gremlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-14, 11:18 PM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

I like how fast Joyce workouts are and they work all the muscles. I got Body Beast on sale but stopped after a few weeks for some reason; I'm not sure I like only working one body part per week. When I try it again I'll probably modify. I'm currently doing the holiday challenge on Suzanne Bowen Fitness and it's clicking with me, and that's saying a lot. On the upper body days I'm able to add in a classical stretch episode and its an awesome way to finish. I was afraid I wouldn't burn as many calories with barre workouts but it's about the same, sometimes more. I'm trying to figure out how to work in a few heavy weight days and Joyce workouts make the most sense.
~Beth
ealakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-15, 03:31 PM  
lisarah

Reviving old post

REVIVING OLD POST...

So, I've been doing Joyce Vedral's for a couple weeks (Definition, speedy non-stop, & Dynamic Tension). And, Definition is my favorite! Can anyone tell me if there is a another of her workouts that is similar to definition in reps (she does the full pyramid up & down) and she sticks to one body part at a time. Or, what do you think is her hardest workout/s? I haven't been able to get her books yet but interested in those too.
TIA!

Also, curious if anyone from this thread is still doing JV & any results to share?

Do or do not...there is no try. ~Yoda

Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world. ~Miyamoto Musashi

Group Fitness Instructor
BS in Kinesiology
lisarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-15, 04:51 PM  
MsThistlebottom

Hi Lisa,

I also really like Definition, only I put on some motivating music and do the routine from the book instead of the DVD.

She does the full pyramid in the "Just" series (Just Bra Roll / Boobs, Just Arms, Just Thighs, Just Butt) but she supersets between body parts in some of them--I think it's Arms. I find that the full-pyramid workouts are hardest for me, but I'm also intermediate level and not exactly a spring chicken.

I'm starting a new rotation with the "Just" series tomorrow, with circuit training on alternate days and a total body workout on Saturdays. It has taken me a while to build up to this level because I stopped strength training sometime toward the end of last year.

As far as results are concerned, as soon as I picked up the weights again in February, I lost inches and am down a pants size. Now that I'm back into a regular routine and am extra-vigilant about diet, I'm dropping some weight as well. As I've said before, no matter how far I stray, I always go back to this type of training because it works. Muscle eats fat.

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-15, 06:23 PM  
Betty Boop

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarah View Post
REVIVING OLD POST...

Also, curious if anyone from this thread is still doing JV & any results to share?
Haven't done any JV for a while, but now that you've revived the thread, I think it may be time to go back and do some of her workouts.
Old 04-12-15, 08:22 PM  
Scorpio6

My Favorite JV Workout

I don't know why, but my fave is The College Dorm Workout, a book by her daughter, Marthe Vedral with her mother's help -- never was a dvd. Made myself an Excel cheat sheet.

Also like the Definition Workout but modified it so that I am doing barre for lower body and JV Definition for upper body. Happy with that, too.

And, due to hip issue, I have frequently sub'd lying weighted leg lifts for JV lower body work and that really works me depending on reps and weight used.

Glad to see this thread revived. I have decided the tried and true is really best after all!

Carol
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-15, 09:27 PM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

Scorpio

I recently bought the dorm book from Amazon. I haven't really dug into it but it sounds like I should.

Years ago I had great success with just a few weeks of Fast Forward but the counting... ugh. And the speed... cant go very heavy. But fast results!

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-15, 05:41 AM  
lisarah

Thanks for the replies! I'm going to check out the Dorm w/o, fast forward, & just series!

Do or do not...there is no try. ~Yoda

Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world. ~Miyamoto Musashi

Group Fitness Instructor
BS in Kinesiology
lisarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-15, 05:07 PM  
Scorpio6

Addl Resource That Complements Vedral Workouts

I mentioned in a post above that bcse of hip issues I frequently sub lying weighted leg work, which is similar to the unweighted lower body work in Vedral's Bathing Suit Workout.

The resource for weighted lower body work as well as some nice variations on traditional exercises, that I like, is retro -- Luciana Avedon's Body Book. The link to it on Amazon is:
http://www.amazon.com/Luciana-Avedon...n%2C+body+book

She previously wrote The Beautiful People's Beauty Book under the name Princessa Luciana Pignatelli before she remarried Mr. Avedon. That book is where I first learned the lying weighted leg work.
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dynamic tension, fast forward, joyce vedral, top shape, weight loss, weights only