Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-07-21, 09:54 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Well, I needed a change today - I didn't sleep well last night, I was up at 1:00 a.m. watching Ghost and Mrs. Muir and Bewitched episodes on You Tube until about 3:00 a.m. - I don't know why, I just get insomnia sometimes. TBH, my mind was a bit cluttered regarding my DD and her college choices and all that - we were supposed to visit a school next week, but they cancelled visits b/c of our rising case counts. So, I'm just feeling a bit anxious about that and how to make decisions w/out being able to do things like visit, and see things in person. I then started to mull over the whole horse purchase situation...anyway - like everything else, this too shall pass and things will become clear!

So...that being said, I wasn't quite ready for Pahla this morning so I did:

Ellen - Strength, Lengthen and Breathe - it was perfect for me this morning. Just love, love Ellen!

If I feel up for it I may do Pahla's workout this afternoon at lunch or I may just take the doggie for a walk b/c it is finally sunny.

Oh - yesterday I did a CS episode at lunch - 1101 and I did Jessica Valent's Scoliosis workout (17 min) on her paid site after work.

And- an interesting revelation - I am questioning whether it is my SI joint that is whacked out or my QL or psoas. The side stretches in JV's and Miranda's workouts really felt great and I think working on my "sides" may be relieving tension and allowing my hips to become better aligned. My QL on my right side is tight and I think it causes my hip to hike up on that side...which then causes my left hip to hurt. Ugh.

But feeling better today.

Carol - what a relief that it was just a scent that was making you wheeze - w/ everything COVID related these days wheezing would definitely be a concerning symptom....I was pleasantly surprised about being able to handle 5's too, during Pahla's metcon workout. The workout for today looks good (Day 7) and I'm sure I'll get back to her at some point in the next day or two - I think I just need to allow myself to go at my own pace and fit in whatever I feel like doing from time to time if it is different than what Pahla has scheduled. I think she'd approve - after all there are no exercise police!!!

Dana - good luck w/ the dr. I see Emma has a free challenge coming out soon, I will probably sign up for it even if I don't do it all - it will be nice to do some....

Waves, everyone,

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-21, 07:17 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Since there are no exercise police, I didn't exercise yesterday. I worked late and when I got home, DS's treadmill had arrived, so I spent the evening helping him to get that set up and disposing of the packing materials and boxes. That was a project! Hopefully tonight I'll be back in the swing of things.

Donna - Nice change up with your workouts. It's no wonder that you didn't sleep well Wednesday - lots to ponder. Things are going to get better, if we can just hang in there until the spring. When does your daughter have to start making college decisions?

Dana - Glad you are hanging in there! I felt just like you do when I went back to my doctor last May. You're right, it's just good to get it over with, so you know what you need to do.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-21, 08:51 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Today was:

Pahla - Walk off the Weight Challenge Day 7- this was a walk (30 seconds), followed by low impact cardio (30 seconds), followed by standing core work (30 seconds). The standing core was the low impact taken down to a slow pace to work on the core and balance. I am glad I didn't do this one when sleep deprived. LOL! I had enough trouble balancing today being more rested.

Yoga w/ Adriene - Breath - Day 6 - this was also a core focused practice! I did modify here and there some stuff just didn't feel right. I agree w/ what others have said about Adriene not generally showing modifications or the use of props in her practices. it doesn't bother me b/c I do know how to modify and use props, but I can see how someone new to yoga would be at risk of either injury or frustration.

Yesterday's additional activity was a short walk w/ DD and Summer (my Golden) and then Ellen's Stretch 360 and a quick stretch w/ Jessica Valent.

Carol - LOL! Yes, glad the exercise police don't exist! I think the key to me completing this rotation w/ Pahla is to definitely allow for some days off of it to do some other workouts or take rest days if needed.

Waves, everyone - happy Friday.

Donna
Old 01-08-21, 11:00 AM  
fanofladyvols

carol thanks for the giggle on exercise police! In this day and age of everyone feeling like they can tell others what to think, that laugh was needed!

Donna you have me curious on the hip mystery you are solving for yourself. I think I need to spend more time doing that for myself.

Dana we will send you to those visits with brave constitution vibes! It's awful feeling like you're going to the principal's office sometimes.

I have both kids home and been busy cooking! Squeezed in T25 Lower body and CS #602 leg sculpting. Not my fav CS but, as usual, CS pairs well with bodyweight higher intensity. Speaking of exercise police, I alternated legs during the calf hops and did heel walks to take care of my arches during some of the reps. Worked great!

Happy Friday Everyone!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-21, 01:02 PM  
Brenda in WA
VF Supporter

Jessica Smith's Metabolism Booster, Upper Body Circuit Walk

Speaking of no exercise police I was having trouble with finishing my rotation, even though I only had 2 days left. It had me stuck for a couple of weeks, so I finally cried uncle and quit. Today I started the Walk On rotation and it felt really good this morning.

Have any of you dealt with perimenopausal insomnia? I'm running on 4-5 hours of sleep a night and it's killing me slowly. I often wake up at 4am and can't get back to sleep.

She girds herself with strength, and strengthens her arms. Prov. 31:17
Brenda in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-21, 01:23 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda in WA View Post
Jessica Smith's Metabolism Booster, Upper Body Circuit Walk

Speaking of no exercise police I was having trouble with finishing my rotation, even though I only had 2 days left. It had me stuck for a couple of weeks, so I finally cried uncle and quit. Today I started the Walk On rotation and it felt really good this morning.
Good for you! You can always pick back up later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda in WA View Post
Have any of you dealt with perimenopausal insomnia? I'm running on 4-5 hours of sleep a night and it's killing me slowly. I often wake up at 4am and can't get back to sleep.
Well I'm not sure if this helps you or discourages you...but I'm post meno.and insomnia seems to be my new normal. I think I have adjusted to it. I head to bed later to shift the wakeup to a normal time . First few years I was loopy and cranky in the AM. Now I'm back to my sunny self. I think I can count on my fingers and toes the nights I have slept a full night since peri.

I do get some power naps in on weekends and that has been what helps me I think. Everyone in the household knows to skidaddle when I go lay down. The Queen be needing her nap!!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-21, 08:07 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Good morning!

JS 6 Mix & Match Miles DVD Mile 4 & 6 - 30min
JV Arms & Abs - 19min

Jessica Valant's workout was from Tuesday of this week. It was a little wrist intensive for me but overall I enjoyed it and found it effective. Tomorrow I'm planning to do her Legs Power workout which was scheduled for yesterday.

I have to go to the office today which I don't mind at all. I actually like working weekends. Less traffic and fewer people around. Also, it gets me out of the house which feels awfully emply without Basil. I worked on Thursday and my DH was home alone and he also mentioned to me how empty the house felt without our boy.

Brenda, I've been drinking chamomile tea before bedtime for years and it's been helping me to relax and fall asleep if not necessarily stay asleep. I usually get 5 and only occasionally 6 hours of sleep every night. Not ideal but not much else works for me. Good luck finding what works for you.

Hi to Carol, Donna, Linda, Cheri and Christine!
Old 01-09-21, 08:48 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Today was:

Pahla B - Walk off the Weight - Day 8 - Strength Training. This was an nice routine - I like the simplicity of her weight training workouts and her messages about them and their importance even if they don't show up on your step counter.

Yoga w/ Adriene - Breath - Day 7 - Synchronize

My DD is ditching me today to go hiking w/ friends - so no walk w/ her. I may take my Golden out for a walk - maybe a nice slow one to allow her plenty of time to sniff around.

I will also get my CS in - it ihas proven to be just what I needed to get my hip and lower back back into the happy range. I don't know why I am not more consistent with it....b/c whenever I am I notice changes.

I have been adding the CS on as a mid-day break from sitting. A new challenge is starting on Monday - but not sure if I want the "pressure" of a challenge, LOL!

I did do CS 1102 yesterday.

Dana - nice work! One thing about Jessica V's workouts is she does do a lot on all fours which if you do have sensitive wrists can be hard. The leg power workout is a good one - but she does pistol squats and I skip those every time. I kind of understand what you mean about work - I prefer to work when other people aren't around....I focus better.

Brenda - no advice on sleeping....unfortunately. My issue is not falling asleep but staying asleep. I think it is partially my mind that gets too active and keeps me up. I probably need to work on some sort of soothing self talk to go back to bed. Good for you for moving on to another rotation - there are no exercise polices - LOL - they won't know you didn't finish!

Waves, Linda and Carol!

Donna
Old 01-09-21, 10:29 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Friday's workouts were

Pahla B - Walk Off the Weight - Day 6 (cardio & light weights) - 25 minutes
Jessica Valant Pilates - Pilates Abs at Home - 9 minutes

Both of these workouts whipped my butt. All of that work with the weights overhead (in Pahla's workout) was just a killer. I used .5 kg weights (1.65 pounds for those who need to know) and ending up dropping them before the end. Ugh! And Jessica's ab workout was a significant step up from her beginner ab workouts I've been doing. I would love for someone to put out a 28 day TRULY beginner's pilates series. I see lots of things marked "beginner" but they are clearly not geared towards the type of beginner that I am when it comes to core work.

Donna - Nice work with Pahla's weight work. And I agree, Jessica does a lot of work on the hands which I do not enjoy.

Dana - Nice workouts! Another one here who does not enjoy wrist intensive work.

Linda - I have to give Pahla B credit for the "exercise police" saying. She mentioned it lately and it stuck in my head.

Brenda - I have no trouble falling asleep, but I simply cannot stay asleep. I wake up several times a night and generally do fall back asleep, but my sleep is not nearly as restful as it was 20 years ago. I take a sleep supplement for "monkey brain" and you are welcome to PM me for the name. I think it helps, but it is not a cure-all.

Waves to all ~

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-21, 08:44 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
The leg power workout is a good one - but she does pistol squats and I skip those every time.
Donna, I just previewed this workout. I like squats and lunges but I hear you, there is no way I'm doing those pistol squats. I'll substitute with something else for sure!