Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-21, 01:42 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Hey Whacky Watulans!
Feeling great today! So far, despite MIL's death, I'm feeling pretty good. GOTTA keep smiling!

So, catching up:
Monday was MBFA Day 3 Upper + Day 1 Lower Body Burn. The lower body workout was better than the upper but not feeling the love for these two. Too much repetition and it didn't seem that advanced. Like asymetric shoulder presses were done lifting the hips at the same time. Not that it's a bad exercise, but its the same chest work from the previous 3 weeks. Only slight differences. But we'll see.

Yoga was from Gaia, David Magone Full Body Strength & Toning. An "ahhh" class. It was not killer despite the name of the practice. Just nice longer holds like Hatha.

Yesterday I did Cathe's Shock Cardio MMA Kickbox. Ok. Not her best kickboxing and I got lost on the last kick combo. But not ever bad. And the core work was excellent! I do love my core work!
No Yoga as I went to be with my sons.

Today back in love with Cathe! I did Strong & Sweaty Bootcamp. So I have only done this one ONE time four years ago. I didn't like it at all according to my log notes. I think that must have meant that it was too hard? Not sure but it sure was fun today. Tough but fun. Didn't get lost on anything. LOL
Usually went a little heavier than Cathe. It was a really good bootcamp workout. Glad I revisited!

Yoga pending. Just finishing some work.

I loved 4DS. I will take a look. I'm still in my MBFA rotation. Whatever you pick, both step workouts are good.

So admit it....were you as fierce as you could have been today? Did you push yourself that little bit more?
I admit that some of the cardio blasts in today's workout winded me and I stopped a few times with a few reps to go.

HUMP DAAAAY!

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-21, 05:30 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Before I forget..... because I will forget..... I got a notice yesterday saying they've extended my free Apple TV from April through July. I felt like they "saw" me complaining about the user interface or.... they "saw" me hyping it up and decided to be nice to me. I'm kidding, but only sort of. So, friends with free Apple TV, you too may be bonused!

Horusosirius, I, too, love hearing about your family gatherings and that you got together for any excuse! That's got to be a big hole in your life right now. As far as motivation, I've been having a bit of a tough time lately too.... not sure why in general, but today our power was out again and I just didn't feel like faking anything. It's back on now, so I could theoretically do something, but not sure I can work up the enthusiasm. At any rate, I'm also sending you hugs and reiterating that we are here for each other!!

So was there some 4DS kickboxing & leg action today? Good choice, and yes Kim & manleym, I am in for the step combo for Fun Friday!! I don't have any Christi, but it seems like Cardio Party may be a good sub in for that, so I'll pencil that for next week unless we change our minds.

Kate, I love your constant positivity and optimism! And it's nice to hear that you, too, have to skimp on some reps every now and then.

Waves all around..... hang in there, Watulans!!
Old 01-27-21, 05:39 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Completely forgot to say..... Linda, you crack me up! The Mississippi fans and their loud cowbells!! Reminds me that when I used to watch my kids play hockey, sometimes at tournaments there would be a grandmother with a very loud cowbell for a kid on another team. He was maybe 5 or 6 when this nonsense started and our kids were older. We used to joke that that kid will never put up with that when he's a teenager. We saw her for years. Or maybe I should say we heard her for years. So annoying....
Old 01-27-21, 05:54 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Completely forgot to say..... Linda, you crack me up! The Mississippi fans and their loud cowbells!! Reminds me that when I used to watch my kids play hockey, sometimes at tournaments there would be a grandmother with a very loud cowbell for a kid on another team. He was maybe 5 or 6 when this nonsense started and our kids were older. We used to joke that that kid will never put up with that when he's a teenager. We saw her for years. Or maybe I should say we heard her for years. So annoying....
Dang so glad that couldn't POSSIBLY be me 🙈...but only bc I live where I live and you live where you do!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-21, 06:39 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Watulan Wednesday, and the lack of motivation must be going around because I REALLLLLLY had to give myself a pep talk for Mess 3, Week 3 Plyo Legs. I was okay once I got started and then the dreaded one-legged squat thrusts happened, UG. I got through them but they were NOT fun, Cathe, I don't care what you say!

I'm counting down now...four more STS workouts left, four more, I can do it, I can do it, and FN2 can do it too!!!!

Sorry for the short post, more work crap. Hugs all the way around to all of us, particularly those struggling. Zaps to Bee too so her power will just stay ON because that is freaking exhausting! Stay fierce, Watulans, I'm so grateful for all of you!!

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.

Last edited by kittybug; 01-27-21 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Fingers flying too fast!
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-21, 10:03 PM  
ChelePA

Kate...glad to hear you are doing ok. I really like all Cathe's boot camp workouts. It's my preferred method for using weights. Although I do straight weight workouts...lifting heavier is my least favorite. I find the original boot camp the hardest. But it's such a great workout! I just wanted to also tell you that your post was real motivation for me today...especially how you ended it wit those encouraging questions. In the morning, I did my January challenge. It was a set of four exercises that included planks, leg work, upper body and abs. You repeated each set 10 times, then 9, 8, etc. until finishing with one rep of each. I didn't have time to do my regular workout because I forgot I had a hair appointment. It's rare my hair is out of a ponytail these days so I was reconsidering working out after my hair was looking so nice. But then I read you post and said forget it... exercise was more important than my hair who no one is going to see anyway . Kim...I'm so glad you mentioned 4DS. I decided to do the Kickboxing plus Legs & Core. It's such an awesome workout! I added 2 pound hand weights when she started the upper body combos and core. My lower body was burning at the end of this one. I forgot she has some unique moves like the low plane lunges. They are a killer! I felt accomplished at the end of 71 minutes. Oh...and this one has a really long warm-up too. I think around 12 minutes and the kickboxing is only 20 minutes. But I must say I was sweating after the kicks and squats so it was definitely starting to feel more like a workout than a simple warm-up. Anyone else join me on this one?

Kim...I need to check out the YouTube stuff and the other instructor you mentioned. No time today but hopefully tomorrow I can preview some of the suggestions. And I'm definitely up for more step next Friday. As you all know, it's my favorite

And Bee, you have so much patience with all the power outages. How frustrating! Hoping things turn on soon!
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-21, 10:11 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Happy Wednesday! I won't call it hump day since DH works weekends and his hump day is Saturday!

Yesterday I revisited Marcus Irwin's Airborne. Always a good choice for me! He does a great job of cuing IMHO and is upbeat and it just feels like I'm in a class with him. Today I did Mess 3 Week 3 Plyo Legs and YES, FN1, I was sailing along using heavier weights than Cathe handling the cardio until those *&(% one legged squat thrusts! I started with my right leg and managed to do all of them but slowed down a lot when trying to balance and jump on my left leg. Those things were the longest 15 seconds in the history of time, I swear! Oh, I started counting down last week, FN1! I am starting to smell the finish line with 4 more to go!!

I'll see how I feel tomorrow and Friday as to how I'll do the 4DS step workouts. My knee has been a bit bothersome for the past few days, but I know I could do it on the floor if I need to modify. Like manley, I normally do both the high and low workouts combined.

Kate, I so agree with bee about enjoying your positive attitude! And I also agree that it was good to hear that even you have to modify occasionally. Gives encouragement to us mere mortals!

horusosiris, I'm sorry you're going through a rough patch. And I also envy your family being so close as ours live halfway across the country. DH was the only one in his large family to move far away, and we know we've missed a lot of gatherings over the years. I hope it gets better for all of us soon, but I am also grateful for our group that gives support!

Chele, I agree with Kim that you would probably enjoy Michelle Dozois' workouts. A note of caution, though, you should watch clips first as some find her voice a bit off putting. It doesn't bother me and the Peak 10 is the only other rotation I've ever completed (other than STS), but I've read that comment more than once.

Big Orange is climbing all over my laptop and making it impossible to keep posting! Waves to all!!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-21, 10:27 PM  
ChelePA

Basketball fans – did you watch the Sixers / Lakers game? Yay my Sixers won at the very end. Phew
Old 01-27-21, 11:34 PM  
ChelePA

So looking for opinions on push-ups. I was reading that Caroline Girvan says if you can do one never go back to doing them on your knees. Hold the plank or do as many as possible even if not full range of motion on every repetition. Doesn't Cathe have an opposite view? She says to make sure elbows bent at 90 degree angles for every rep. Go to knees if necessary. Am I correct? What do you all think or how to you perform this exercise? My upper body is definitely weaker than my lower. I recently started dropping to my knees because I felt my form was off and I wasn't going into the full push-up movement if there were lots of reps.

I was planning on doing Caroline's beginner upper body tomorrow with body weight only. I'm sure there will be several push-ups in this one so just looking for the best way to approach them. Thanks!
Old 01-27-21, 11:44 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelePA View Post
So looking for opinions on push-ups. I was reading that Caroline Girvan says if you can do one never go back to doing them on your knees. Hold the plank or do as many as possible even if not full range of motion on every repetition. Doesn't Cathe have an opposite view? She says to make sure elbows bent at 90 degree angles for every rep. Go to knees if necessary. Am I correct? What do you all think or how to you perform this exercise? My upper body is definitely weaker than my lower. I recently started dropping to my knees because I felt my form was off and I wasn't going into the full push-up movement if there were lots of reps.

I was planning on doing Caroline's beginner upper body tomorrow with body weight only. I'm sure there will be several push-ups in this one so just looking for the best way to approach them. Thanks!
ChelePA I prefer either holding plank..or raising the surface where my hands are .
I love this explanation from Lauren Brooks
https://youtu.be/KsC0bi-nZmY?list=PL...HIq9YM1dLDOMFU

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
watulan check-in