Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-20, 10:51 AM  
Bearybuff

Weights Hand Pain?

I was wondering if anyone has had this issue and what you have done. I was doing chest presses this morning and noticed that the fleshy area under my thumb was starting to feel uncomfortable. I tried a couple of awkward hand position changes to finish along with Cathe. I was using normal weights for me. No push weights. I also noticed yesterday that pushups became awkward for the same hand. Also, no push sets here either. I don't over train at all either.

I remember hearing about lifting hooks here, but will these work for chest presses too? A certain brand? Anything else?
Bearybuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-20, 11:55 AM  
wendug

I have the same problem when lifting heavy weights. My hands start to feel pain in the fleshy area under the thumb as you described. I have not found a solution. I just try to alternate upper and lower body to give my hands a rest. I've thought it might be that I need more hand strength. I bought some of those grippers to increase strength but sadly I haven't really used them. I've never noticed pain during push ups, though. Maybe someone else will chime in with some suggestions.
Old 12-19-20, 12:57 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i just posted this in the sewing machine thread:

found this good hand-grip strengthening article:
https://www.builtlean.com/grip-strength-exercises/

this was the thread:
Sewing machine recommendations

and in it, we were discussing these scissors which received recognition from the arthritis foundation:
https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-Actio.../dp/B00VU4TKEW

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-20, 02:01 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Arthritis in that thumb area is very, very common. I've had injections there and they have helped me, but they don't help everyone.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-20, 02:51 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
i just posted this in the sewing machine thread:

found this good hand-grip strengthening article:
https://www.builtlean.com/grip-strength-exercises/

this was the thread:
Sewing machine recommendations

and in it, we were discussing these scissors which received recognition from the arthritis foundation:
https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-Actio.../dp/B00VU4TKEW
Thank you for the hand-grip strengthening article. I'm going to give some of the recommendations a try. I have noticed that when trying to lift heavy that it is my grip that gives out first.
Old 12-19-20, 05:44 PM  
Bearybuff

Alas, I'm feeling more aches and pains everywhere as I'm not getting any younger. Wow, didn't even think of arthritis. Thanks for the articles and advice ladies. It helps.
Bearybuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-20, 11:06 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
Thank you for the hand-grip strengthening article. I'm going to give some of the recommendations a try. I have noticed that when trying to lift heavy that it is my grip that gives out first.
For awhile I was training my grip strength regularly. During my normal workout I would do rows or just walk while pinching a plate. I also would do rows while holding the head of a hex dumbbell. Lots of farmer carries. I have the fat grips but have never used them. Another thing you can do is just hang from a pull up bar.
I need to get back to doing this.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-20, 11:08 PM  
fanofladyvols

An instructor, (I'm thinking it's Tracie Long), had a form pointer once about concentrating the grip beginning from the pinkie ..so your grip is more relaxed by the time you grip from the thumb side.

Using that method has helped me so much.

Also finding weightlifting gloves that were labeled 'men'. They have extra padding on the thumb side of the palm.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-20, 12:24 AM  
videofit

I've had that lately but I think it's due to walking to the supermarket and then carrying home bags that are too heavy. This is why you should always make a list and stick to it!

I try to workout every other day but I took today off to give my hands a rest so will resume tomorrow.

Tags
forearm, grip strength