Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-02-20, 10:45 PM  
bfit

Can't run any more, now what?

I've written here several times over the past few months about different aspects of my foot injury. I appreciate everyone's patience and advice. Well, the good news is that my bone is healing, but the bad news is that the doctor said today he doesn't think I should run again even after I'm fully healed. I've been running for literally 40 years, it's my way to get out in the world, and it's the only activity I do that really gets my heart rate up for cardio benefit. He said walking and other "low impact" was OK, but I can walk all day and never get my heart rate up. Has anyone else dealt with this? Is there something I can do that would be a cardiovascular substitute for running? I think I can handle the mental part of giving it up if there is something else that I can do.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-20, 11:16 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I feel for you! I had to stop running several years ago primarily because of foot issues, but I also had some knee & low back issues starting to develop. I still miss it, hated to let it go, but I know it’s not good for me. I love to swim & swimming lengths was a great option, but I’m not going to the pool right now. I do a lot of walking & I live in an area with hilly terrain, definitely gets my HR up. I also do low impact cardio workouts, rebounding, a little step here & there. Kettlebells are also a great way to get your heart rate up. Best thing I can suggest is to try different things and see what works & what you enjoy.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-20, 01:20 AM  
Leonana

Maybe a spin bike? That gets my heart rate up. I can no longer do high impact, so I do low impact HIIT's. I have to admit I don't breathe as hard as I used to with high impact, but it does increase my heart rate.
Old 12-03-20, 03:30 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

stair climbing, like inside of a building or football bleachers.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-20, 06:14 AM  
bolieikl
VF Supporter

Spinning is a close second with getting the feeling that I get from running. I get a "runner's high" from it, but not as much as running (but close ). The elliptical also gets my heartrate up, surprisingly high. I also can "speed walk" or "power walk" and it gets my heartrate up close to running. Granted....I am not a fast runner lol

Linda
bolieikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-20, 10:42 AM  
bubbles76

I feel you! I had to stop running and it crushed me. Luckily I found VF There are some great workouts out there that will still raise your heart rate and still remain low impact. Cathe has the Low Impact Series which has workouts that are still high intensity. Sharon Money Twombly has two workouts that I like that are lower impact but high intensity - Zero to 60 Low Impact With Weights and its cousin Zero to 60 Low Impact With Weights Adrenaline Rush. It's been so long since I've been able to run that I can't say if the intensity is EXACTLY the same, but it's pretty up there if you go all out. Anni Mairs Force workouts (Fierce Force, Life Force, Core Force, Jump Force) can also be modified for low impact and high intensity.

For me, the mental part was worse than the physical. But trust me, high intensity lower impact cardio is not out of reach
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-20, 10:43 AM  
Jewels5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfit View Post
I've written here several times over the past few months about different aspects of my foot injury. I appreciate everyone's patience and advice. Well, the good news is that my bone is healing, but the bad news is that the doctor said today he doesn't think I should run again even after I'm fully healed. I've been running for literally 40 years, it's my way to get out in the world, and it's the only activity I do that really gets my heart rate up for cardio benefit. He said walking and other "low impact" was OK, but I can walk all day and never get my heart rate up. Has anyone else dealt with this? Is there something I can do that would be a cardiovascular substitute for running? I think I can handle the mental part of giving it up if there is something else that I can do.
I'm so sorry! I remember when my foot doctor told me years ago I couldn't run anymore. He also told me I couldn't do yoga moves, lunges, anything that made me flex my toes. It was so depressing! I have a bone spur that makes my one foot stiff and I have just learned to manage by working around it. I mostly work out to Cathe and have no problem doing low impact and getting my heart rate up. In fact, I don't even think of running anymore. I'm 53 and ran from the time I was in the 7th grade up until my late 30s/early 40s. Best wishes finding something that you can substitute with that makes you happy!

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -Heather Cortez
Jewels5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-20, 11:31 AM  
LAC

Elliptical machine is low impact and can offer similar cardio benefits to running
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-20, 11:40 AM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAC View Post
Elliptical machine is low impact and can simulate a run
If you have room, this has been a great option for me. Adjusting speed and resistance will get your HR up.

I'd recommend trying one out at a sporting goods place once you're pain free if you're thinking about purchasing.

+1 on Cathe low impact and many many other bodyweight cardio workouts are available as well. They replicate that cardio high quite nicely.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-20, 11:41 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfit View Post
That's rough and I empathize deeply with your frustration. Walking has never been a useful alternative to running for me either, and even that wasn't an option when my PF was at its worst. I did get an inexpensive mini tramp and used that for a while, both with some videos and also just listening to podcasts or audiobooks like I might while running.

If you're looking for a non-equipment-based workout that will get you out of the house, is walking/running (or even swimming!) in a pool an option?

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cardio, foot surgery, rucking, running, running alternatives, stair climbing, stairs