Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-26-21, 08:32 AM  
donnamp

hi -

I agree w/ Linda - check your daily activities - how you sit, stand, sleep, etc. I find I tend to sit to one side and that ends up giving me an achey glute/hip.

I also recommend Jessica Valent Pilates - she has a You Tube channel as well as a paid subscription. She is a PT and Pilates instructor and I find many of her videos helpful -

bzar - can you explain how you used the booty bands during walking workouts? I am sure a bit part of my aches and pains are due to weak glute and hip muscles since I sit on them all day!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-21, 12:17 PM  
Hazel Porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libby View Post
If I do see a doc, is a orthopedic surgeon that I need to see?
Under the heading "to a man with a hammer, every problem looks like a nail," I'd suggest trying to see a sports medicine doc or a physical therapist first. My personal experience has been that surgeons will offer you a surgical solution as a first option, rather than exploring less invasive ways to deal with your issue.
Old 01-26-21, 03:43 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
bzar - can you explain how you used the booty bands during walking workouts? I am sure a bit part of my aches and pains are due to weak glute and hip muscles since I sit on them all day!

Donna
hi Donna - i just wear it on my upper thighs and just do simple walking (like Leslie). i only wear it for maybe 10-15 min during a workout, then i remove it because it's intense. it allows you to engage your glutes.

same with floorwork - you can use it w/ or w/o the band, but floorwork alone is a good glute and hip strengthener.

most hip pain is referent - so best to focus on strengthening the glutes and thighs.

this is the fabric booty band set that i use made by Victorem:
https://www.amazon.com/Victorem-Resi...1693748&sr=8-5

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-21, 06:00 PM  
AnMrsDe

After you get it checked by the doctor (I would suggest a Rheumatologist) and if he feels stretches would be good for your hip, I recommend the following. I am presently having a hip bursitis flare up again and I pull out all my ammunition! Among them are:
  • Winsor Buns & Thighs (the 20 min. one without the band)
  • Michelle's Goldstein's Yin Yoga (fabulous hip stretches + I add in bridges, as my PT recommended certain stretches and this workout has them all except for bridges). Almost always I do this muted and play my music since Michelle talks so much! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCv4tagvnXg
  • Various Firewalker Segments w/ band above my knees (mostly from Cathe)
  • Debbie Sieber's Total Body Solution (lower body)

Hope you feel better soon!
AnMrsDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-21, 06:16 PM  
Sollamyn

I have hip pain, mostly when walking for longer than a few minutes. My general practitioner referred me for physical therapy. Your hip issues might be different than mine, so I won't go into what types of treatment I had. (It didn't really do the trick, anyway, sad to say!)

Good luck and HTH!

Donna
Old 01-26-21, 07:43 PM  
schoolgirl-01

not sure if it's the same but your hip and knee pain is what i had and still struggle with.

for me it turned out to be sciatica. i don't take any meds for it even though the doctor prescribed some because of the terrible side effects.

i know we aren't supposed to take about nutrition but intermittent fasting helped a great deal with the inflammation and fixed the knee problem.

for the hip pain i use voltaren (for me, it worked better than taking a pill) during the day and at bed time i sleep with a salsonpas patch (not the one with lidocaine - that patch itches my skin).

this has not cured me - my sciatica flairs up from time to time but it's maybe 1 day a week.

for exercise - i do kettlebells, weights, pilates, barre, and yoga
schoolgirl-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-21, 08:58 AM  
antbuko

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
I would also take a look at the places you sit, area where hips are in your sleeping area and think about any repetitive non exercise activity you may be doing.

Then I would imbed more activity as much as possible to reduce time spent sitting for lengthy periods and do some postural exercises to see if that helps.
I second this. I've alleviated quite a few painful episodes by adjusting my activity or inactivity. Still, if you have health insurance, a diagnosis could be helpful.
Old 01-27-21, 09:19 AM  
donnamp

Jeannine - thank you - that sounds like it would be helpful for me, I think a lot of my hip and lower back aches and pains are due to weakness in my glute and hip muscles...

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-21, 12:01 PM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

I had bursitis in my right hip a few years ago and found that ice baths with Epsom salts helped a lot to relieve discomfort. Since it's winter, warm Epsom baths should work fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
I dunno if you have the same kind of hip pain as I had, but...... I found relief by sleeping with a pillow between my legs -- I am a side sleeper.
This helped me with the hip pain as well, and with tightness in my back and hips now. I have a cheap cushion from Target with those little foam beads so it adjusts to whatever position I'm in.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
booty bands, hip pain