Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-25-21, 07:15 PM  
Libby

Hip Pain self help

I'm having pain/irritation in both hips. I like to try as much self-help at home as I can before I resort to seeing a doc. I'm doing low-impact exercises and lots of hip stretching and hip rehab type workouts. Also taking Advil occasionally and using Great Lakes Collagen. Anything else that I can try that might help? I had hip pain years ago and when I went to physical therapy the therapist had a tool that he pressed into my hip joint that really hurt but I think it helped.

It seems like when I have knee pain, if I do the Strong Knees workout consistently, it always gets better.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

If I do see a doc, is a orthopedic surgeon that I need to see?
Libby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-21, 07:40 PM  
Vantreesta

Did you suffer an injury to your hips? Just a word of caution from personal experience, stretching is not always the right approach depending on the cause of pain. I unknowingly made injuries worse by stretching. Yoga makes everything better, right?? Not in my situation where an MRI finally revealed torn hamstring tendon and lots of torn stuff in my hip.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-21, 07:43 PM  
patrice
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
Did you suffer an injury to your hips? Just a word of caution from personal experience, stretching is not always the right approach depending on the cause of pain. I unknowingly made injuries worse by stretching. Yoga makes everything better, right?? Not in my situation where an MRI finally revealed torn hamstring tendon and lots of torn stuff in my hip.
This is me. Still trying to find relief.

Patrice
patrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-21, 07:47 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

classical stretch, floor work, wearing a booty band during walking workouts has provided the needed strengthening, relief, and posture awareness/correction in my case.

you mentioned Strong Knees - it might also help with your hip pain.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-21, 08:09 PM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

You might look at Caroline Jordan's youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/c/CarolineJo...ery=hip%20pain

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-21, 08:21 PM  
Libby

No injuries. I’m in my early 60’s. I’ve exercised fir years.
Libby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-21, 08:22 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrice View Post
This is me. Still trying to find relief.

Patrice
I'm sorry to hear that, Patrice. Sadly my injury was in 2009 and I'm still dealing with it. Some times are better, some are worse. I do best when I stay on the PT exercises.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-21, 09:36 PM  
fanofladyvols

I would also take a look at the places you sit, area where hips are in your sleeping area and think about any repetitive non exercise activity you may be doing.

Then I would imbed more activity as much as possible to reduce time spent sitting for lengthy periods and do some postural exercises to see if that helps.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-21, 10:13 PM  
BunnyHop

I'd suggest getting an opinion from your doctor. I've had a number of aches and pains over the years that I thought I understood, but really didn't. The main thing I got wrong was knowing what sorts of exertion to curtail while my body healed itself.
Old 01-25-21, 10:41 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

I dunno if you have the same kind of hip pain as I had, but...... I found relief by sleeping with a pillow between my legs -- I am a side sleeper. It was as simple as that for me. Sometimes if I do some Cathe kickboxing or maybe a particular yoga class I feel it again, but it doesn't plague me like it used to. Might be worth a try..... I was starting to think I needed a hip replacement and I am fine now.

Tags
booty bands, hip pain