Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-25-21, 07:34 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

For what it's worth, this thread has been a big enabler for me. I've now purchased a used Complete Workout dvd and a VHS of Favorite Fat Burners*, both from ebay.

Those two were some of my very first exercise videos and the outfits and stuff were dated even back when I was doing them in the late 1990s but I didn't mind. I got rid of them long ago once I got into Cathe and mostly step stuff, plus got rid of all but one of our VHS players. Now I'm more into Jessica Smith and am thinking these would be fun to throw in the mix.

*Favorite Fat Burners is on youtube but I want to convert it myself from VHS to make sure I can get the best possible quality.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-21, 07:41 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by susand View Post
i know what is not on dvd-workout with weights, yoga workout, fav fat burners, one called 'sports aid', start up. i am sure more but cannot think of any right now.
from what i read on the numerous threads, her step workouts are also not on DVD, but 2 of them are on youtube (step and abs, step and stretch).

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-21, 08:43 PM  
susand

oh yes the step workouts! forgot all about that, yes only on vhs right now.
susand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-21, 06:21 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Taramisu - I would love to see those workouts released, too. I wonder why not?
I wish I knew, I would be all over these, as I think a lot of people would. Maybe someday. I do have my VHS burned to a DVD that I made a long time ago. I think I made a few of them actually.

I just looked on Amazon, the VHS copies of these workouts are now even hard to find. I will never part with these, even though I haven't done them in a while, they are nice workouts and I really enjoy them.

Workout with Weights is underrated IMO, I got this workout in 2007 from a trade here actually. It has been a favorite ever since and that workout really pulled me out of a big time slump that summer. I really should get back into it.

Look! Our thread here has made 10 pages! Nice work all...
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-21, 10:19 AM  
kat999

This morning I did the Prime Time workout Firm, Tone, and Flex. This is divided up into a 20-minute upper body segment, a 20-minute lower body segment, and then there is a 10-minute relaxation that I also did. Like the meditation on one of her other Prime Time DVDs, I found I didn't really like this one, so I will probably skip it in the future. I did both of the 20-minute workouts together to make one longer 40-minute workout. Both of these are basically fusion combining some light weight toning with pilates and yoga-inspired moves. There is a LOT of seated work, which I kind of like, and even though it's all very gentle and slow, you could make this harder by just increasing weights, your range of motion, or both. I only used 2 lbs. this time to learn everything, but I think next time I'll increase a bit. This is great for a gentle or recovery day, and the lack of cardio is not a big deal if you feel like adding one something else (I did a ten-minute kickboxing routine just beforehand, so I did feel like I hit a lot of different modalities today). I only burned about 180 calories with this alone doing both segments, so it's not really sufficient if you do one by itself and your goal is fat burning. But combined together and with some add-ons, it's great. I also have been having a lot of hip flexor problems, and the stretch elements are held a nice amount of time here to really get into those tough areas that might be affected by overuse or mild arthritis.

I would put this one in my rotation for use in the fusion/pilates/stretch category, since the toning effect is sort of tangential.
Old 01-28-21, 10:54 AM  
susand

thanks for the update kat! i have this one too but have not tried yet. i think jane would be excellent to get out of my current slump.
Old 01-28-21, 12:23 PM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by susand View Post
thanks for the update kat! i have this one too but have not tried yet. i think jane would be excellent to get out of my current slump.
Try it out! It's pretty fun.
Old 01-29-21, 09:48 AM  
kat999

This morning I did the PM and balance segments of the Prime Time Yoga DVD. Even though it was morning, I felt like this was still a good practice, especially since I did it after a short HIIT workout. I did both all of these together for a full 32-minute session, and I feel like that made it work best. The first section is done with a chair, although there are also standing poses. Plank and downward-facing dog with the chair were actually crazy hard! The second section is all floor work and feels very yin-like. Jane actually doesn't perform any of the exercises in that section but instead sits in a chair between two demonstrators and just talks you through it. The balance section is only five minutes and even though my balance is mostly okay, I do have some inner ear problems that give me BPPV sometimes, so balance training is still important. You can use a chair for that section if you want or not, and I kept one handy for the few times I needed it. I think that segment is also a pretty decent extra core workout.

All told, somewhat challenging, very relaxing, good stretching effect, and the savasana in the seated section was extremely meditative to the point where if I hadn't been so pumped up with coffee, I could have easily fallen asleep.

Good stuff!

The only workouts I have left in this mini rotation are some of the Personal Trainer series, and I'll be getting to the next one early next week. I'll be sad to see this rotation go, but I will be integrating Jane's stuff into my larger rotation, based on how I've classified each one (I usually rotate between aerobic weight training, HIIT, fusion/Pilates, yoga, and pure cardio), so they will come up organically in that rotation, probably about once every couple of weeks.
Old 01-29-21, 10:10 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Kat, I absolutely love that 10 minute PM session. It's perfect in every way for a nice cool down especially after a stressful day sitting at my computer.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-21, 10:38 AM  
susand

thanks for the update kat! another one i need to try.

Tags
jane fonda, significant weight loss