Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-22-21, 10:04 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
I might have asked this before...

Who here is on Goodreads? Last year, I decided to more specifically keep track of my books (I'd done it sporadically in the past). I also joined the reading challenge and set my goal at 50; I read 55. I'm going to set my goal at 55 this year. And rereads, childrens books, etc. definitely count!

Here's the link to this year's challenge:
https://www.goodreads.com/challenges/11650
Thanks for the reminder to do track my books. I do it sporadically and then have to jog my memory so I am going to go and log my most recent reads now.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-21, 10:08 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol K View Post
I'm still reading The Mirror & The Light by Hilary Mantel. I just found out that Masterpiece is producing a second season of Wolf Hall based on this book. The library system has ordered another copy of Bella Poldark for me, but I don't know how long it will take for them to get it.
I didn't know they Masterpiece is doing this. I have the Mirror and the Light but have not read it yet. How do you like it? Loved Wolf Hall and Bringing up the Bodies.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-21, 10:20 PM  
Carol K

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
I didn't know they Masterpiece is doing this. I have the Mirror and the Light but have not read it yet. How do you like it? Loved Wolf Hall and Bringing up the Bodies.
I'm liking it. I think Hilary Mantel is a really good writer and I'll like seeing this play out on screen.
Old 02-01-21, 04:29 PM  
difit

February New Release's

Here are a few new release's for February. Happy reading!

2nd
Blood Grove (Easy Rawlins, book 15) - Walter Mosley
The Survivors - Jane Harper
The Four Winds - Kristin Hannah
Beneath the Keep (Queen of the Tearling, book 4) - Erika Johansen
The Nature of Fragile Things - Susan Meissner

9th
A Simple Murder (Kate Burkholder) collection of stories - Linda Castillo
Faithless in Death (In Death, book 52) - J D Robb
The Vineyard at Painted Moon - Susan Mallery
A Stranger in Town (Rockton, book 6) - Kelley Armstrong
Game Changer - Neal Shüsterman (YA Fantasy)

16th
An Extravagant Death (Charles Lenox Mysteries, book 14) - Charles Finch

23rd
Flowers of Darkness - Tatiana De Rosnay
Murder in an Irish Bookshop (Irish Village Mystery, book 7) - Carlene O'Connor
The Last Straw (Jigsaw Files, book 4) - Sharon Sala
Triple Chocolate Cheesecake Murder (Hannah Swensen, book 27) - Joanne Fluke
Somebody to Love (Blessings, Georgia, book 11) - Sharon Sala
difit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-21, 08:01 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Thanks dfit! There are multiple books on my wish list coming out this month. Yay!

I recently sat down and read The Magnificent Mrs. Mayhew by Milly Johnson in a day. I'm not sure if it was that good or if I was in the mood to read all day. Either way, it was a good book.

Now I'm reading Froi of the Exiles, the second in the series. It's a little confusing, but still very good. I also picked up some books at the library today and I'll choose one to read along with it.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-21, 08:01 PM  
BunnyHop

Thanks for the new list difit!

Really looking forward to the new Charles Finch.

As for my reading lately, I'm all about the audio books. My tastes lately veer more toward the genteel and poetical, and away from anything dark, violent or grim because it seems to help me sleep better, but also because I just enjoy the stories more.

Currently re-reading Violette by Charlotte Bronte. It's beautifully written, but somehow I get the feeling that a good bit of it is too subtle for me to understand, LOL! I hadn't read it in a long time so I got it on cd in audio form, but then I realized the library has a new copy, so I got that too. Kinda veer back and forth between the versions. The point is to give myself something to read at bedtime or something to listen to as I do household chores, so it works pretty well.

I read Ready Player Two over the weekend. Definitely a quick read. Eh. I enjoyed it, but did tend to skim when he was working his way through yet another video game in the simulated quest. Glad I got that one from the library.

My next video adventure is the new Perry Mason. I didn't realize our library had it at all, so I'm glad to have the chance to give it a look. Popcorn, here I come.
Old 02-02-21, 08:32 AM  
annette
VF Supporter

I just finished The Book of Lost Friends by Lisa Wingate. I was excited to get it from the library as it had rave reviews and the story sounded interesting but it was way too descriptive for me, some of which I found repetitive. I struggled to finish it.
annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-21, 08:39 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by annette View Post
I just finished The Book of Lost Friends by Lisa Wingate. I was excited to get it from the library as it had rave reviews and the story sounded interesting but it was way too descriptive for me, some of which I found repetitive. I struggled to finish it.
Oh wow! I loved this book and didn't want it to end. Isn't it fun how our tastes are different?

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-21, 08:41 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I'm reading a book called The Buddha Takes the Mound, a humorous look at buddhism and baseball; I like it but it could have been much better! I'm also re-reading Deborah Adele's The Yamas and the Niyamas. I'm not reading a novel right now - waiting on the library!

Anna, do you think Ready Player One is worth a read if I have seen the movie? I'm a child of the 80s but thought the movie was meh...although sometimes I like the book better.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-21, 08:47 AM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Anna, do you think Ready Player One is worth a read if I have seen the movie? I'm a child of the 80s but thought the movie was meh...although sometimes I like the book better.
Not Anna, but I really enjoyed Ready Player One. I haven't watched the movie because I didn't see how it could live up to my ideas of the book.

I haven't read Ready Player Two. I haven't heard great reviews for it.
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, reading, winter reading