Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-21, 06:06 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi everyone,

I do feel a little more rejuvenated this week so I was able to start strong today with Firm Volume 4. When I did Firm Volume 6 last week, I knew I was going to do Volume 4 this week. They just both have fun cardio and seem to have a high ratio cardio to the strength work. It was perfect for today.

Not sure about tomorrow, maybe a Jessica or kettlebell or something random? LOL. Then my usual active rest Friday, I am going to try for a longer Cathe on Saturday, and Pure Barre on Sunday, or maybe another barre DVD. I was eyeing my P57 DVDs last week thinking it's been a crazy long time since I've done any barre but Pure Barre.

Eventmom I agree that all of Lacey's Callenetics have way too much abs in them. Especially the Countdown DVD, based on the 1 and 2 that I have done. It's like 50% abs??

I really hope the surgery is helpful!! That is a big commitment to get surgery on your spine. Hopefully the month to recover will go by quickly!

Buzzer It must have been extremely upsetting to lose track of LB especially with a random guy hanging around. I am so glad you found her safely!! Did you figure out what was wrong with her finger? Is it better? My cardio endurance definitely goes down a lot when I don't do a sufficient amount of cardio. It doesn't seem fair, everything in health is a "use or lose" but you can't do everything at once...strength, cardio, flexibility, etc.

I had a good eating day today (after a really bad one yesterday), so I am hoping I can keep up my momentum. Ugh the sugar and refined grains!!
Old 01-14-21, 05:52 AM  
Buzzer

Firm Metaboost... DONE!

I had that this one is a "volume Firm light". And it was. It was full body, and a good lite version of a volume!! I used 15's for the initial shoulders, 5's for my light and 4 limb weight, and dropped to 10's for the bicep work since I still feel my biceps from a week of hard labor. AWOHL seems to really make me sore! I can only throw it in every now and then for sure. I made sure to focus on my form, and went all out on the cardio. It ended up being a good workout and just what I needed.

LB's finger is still swollen. We are putting cortisone cream on it, and I have it wrapped so the cream stays on it. It's getting better, I think, but still swollen. I tried letting it air out last night, but after about 90 minutes LB said the finger was starting to hurt, so I put cream on it and wrapped it and we'll try again today.

So we went to homeschool gym, and a new family was there. The Mom said that her kids take Tae Kwon Do. (noted for future reference...) Also note that LB is very stuffed animal oriented and is super attached to her stuffies. So, a little boys stuffy was taken and being tossed around by two other older boys, one of which was this lady's kid. Let's call him bully. Just because (). The boys are sitting up high on a rock arch, tossing the stuffy around. The stuffy drops, and LB picks it up and gives it to it's rightful owner, a little boy who is about 3 or 4 years old. He says "thank you!" and LB goes back to the bullies and tells them they shouldn't have taken it. They yell at her and use wanna be tough little boy words, and she tells them they need to apologize to the boy. They say they don't need to, and bully boy kicks HER IN THE FACE.

Keep in mind, he is trained in kicks from being in Tae Kwon Do. I hear a Mom say "she just got kicked in the face" and as I turn and look, there is my kid walking towards me crying with blood all over her teeth, and blood on her sleeve. She said the blood was from her nose when she wiped it. What could I do at a park? I held her, afraid to let her go. Luckily there was a nurse there who had ice packs, and she got an ice pack for LB. We stood there for a while with the ice on her, I checked her teeth, all was good. We left and all the way home she said she didn't know what happened. When she finally told me the story, it was too late to do anything about it.

I tried to track down the lady with the kid, but quite honestly at this point the boy has a good story worked out and the Mom would never do anything. My sister suggested talking to the Tae Kwon Do instructor, which I know where he goes to TKD, so I might call them today. Just to have them talk to him about when is a proper time to use his skills.

So now LB has a swollen finger and a sore mouth. It's been quite a few days for us.

Yesterday we ran around in town a lot, so today I am going to let her sleep in and rest. She is going over to her friends house sometime today, and also doing karate and going to Urban Air, so she'lll have a busy afternoon/Evening!

The wind has been insane here. When the sun comes up, I will have to go out and see if everything in the yard blew away. There were gusts that woke me up last night! I haven't heard wind that strong since I was a kid. We lived at the base of a foothill and the wind would come down that hill and sound like a freight train. We always had windows broken in the cars from the pressure. My parents tried everything to get the windows to not break, but we always had one every year. It was just the pressure difference from inside the window to out! Fences would be blown down, one time a house was being built up the street, and a piece of wood from the build went through the wall of another house like an arrow. Our dog blew down the street one Christmas morning. The neighbor called and said "your dog just blew by" and my parents had to go find her. They said they found her 3 door down looking dazed.

Anyhow, we had some super crazy wind last night, so I'll have to see where all our stuff ended up!

Ebianco: I did awesome with my eating on Tuesday, then yesterday it was horrible. Back on track today. I end up with a stuffy nose and goobers in my throat when I eat gluten, and after talking to LB about it, she says the same thing happens to her. I think she has some sensitivities or allergies too. So she probably needs to go gluten free for a while too and see if it clears stuff up.

Funny, I was just thinking how I used to be awesome at everything (hind site, I'm sure). I was good at yoga, pilates, running, lifting... now I do yoga and I feel like a balloon trying to move around. Pilates? It's hard! I can do it, but sometimes I have to cheat (OK, often). Running? Haven't done it in so long, and apparently I am horrible at it. Lifting? Still awesome!! HA! So I was thinking about how it is use it or lose it. I was awesome at it because it was my job (plus I was young) and I did it all a lot. I taught at least 3-4 classes a day, PLUS I either ran or lifted every evening. It really is very use it or lose it. I swore I would never lose it, yet here I am. I wish I never slowed down! I need to figure out a rotation that uses everything so I can try to get it all back again. The holy grail rotation.

Eventmom: Wow. So it was something in your spine this whole time????? That's crazy! Is it like a tumor, or a twist in the spine, or a bony protrusion? I hope the procedure isn't too invasive! It isn't a high risk surgery, is it? Then a month. That's a long time. Holy cow. I am overwhelmed for you. Seriously! I'm sorry, but grateful they found what can help you. At least I hope this is it!

You guys take care of yourselves. I thought 2020 was a crap year, but man, 2021 is turning out to really suck, and it's only 2 weeks in.
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-21, 04:10 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

yesterday - TA hip 2.8 day 4 + dc 3
today - TA hip 2.8 day 5 + popstar

the medical procedure is to attempt to repair a tear in my dura (the sack around our brain and spinal cord). I have fluid leaking which could explain the constant headache. I hope it helps but given how much time and $ I've spent in the last 3 years with no help it's hard to get excited. The procedure is very low risk but it you move to much you'll burst the patch so I can't workout or bend or twist or pick up anything heavy etc etc for a month.

ebianco - thanks for confirming my impression of lacey. I may go buy the dvd of quick callanetics I found for $9 on ebay. just because I used to like the hip/butt one!

buzzer - OMG that is kid needs more than a talking to. like grounded for a year. no privileges that is completely wrong I can't even imagine. I''m glad she is okay but that is really dangerous behavior on the kid's part. I hope you can find a way to give the kid a wake up call.
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-21, 06:25 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi all,

Today I went for Jessica Smith 10 Pounds Down Cardio Abs, I started with the warm up from the kickboxing cardio chapter (to pad my workout time) and then did the 26 minute total body chapter. The total body chapter was super hard!! Granted I tried to go heavy on weights, using 6-15# for various exercises, and she kept with 8# the whole time. There were three big circuits and she repeated everything once, and it was all very HIIT/metabolic feeling. I always think Jessica is more intermediate, but then she can surprise me. Anyway I was sweating bullets by the end and my muscles were shaking! I'll definitely have to revisit this one again soon! With the cardio warm up and my own stretch, it was about 35 minutes.

Eventmom I'm glad the procedure is low risk, and hope it will make a big difference with your headaches!!

I think I have the Lacey express one. That one (to my recollection) has a really great leg/hip chapter.

Buzzer That is HORRIFIC that LB got kicked in the face I am really glad that her teeth are not damaged, and hopefully no injury besides her feelings, I'm sure she was distraught? And her finger too. I hope her face and finger feel better soon! It may be a good idea to call the tae kwan do place. They should coach the kids that they cannot kick kids in the face. What craziness!
Old 01-15-21, 11:27 AM  
Buzzer

Fitprime legs... DONE!

I decided to do a fit prime rotation for a week, then either Body Beast or AWOHL for a week. Alternate cardio/lighter weights with heavy weights/no cardio. I need to work on that cardio.

This was a good workout! Not real tough, not out of breath and sweaty, but good. I focused, worked hard, and gave it my all. I used 5 pounds for my weights since I did metaboost yesterday and used heavier weights. I am not looking to go all out, like if I did a volume, but to get a good workout with cardio.

I have all the fit primes and most of them are still in shrink wrap. So this will also be a good way to get them opened and done!! I pulled up the rotation on fitness favorites and am doing that. So I'm on week 1.

So LB is feeling better. Her finger is doing better, her mouth is doing better. Hopefully this is the end of injuries! That was a lot for the week!

Her karate instructor talked to her and asked her what happened. She told him and was shaking so much. I think she thought she was in trouble! He assured her she isn't, and told her that she is learning martial arts but the only use it so defend herself or to get away from an attacker, and that the boy used his martial arts in the wrong way. It ended up good.

So they lady that brought the other Mom and her kid (the bully) to the park talked to the TKD people for me. I don't know her well, so I asked another friend that goes to TKD there to verify if she can. She said the lady did talk to them, so I feel better. I didn't call them, but wanted to make sure it was handled by someone I trust. So hopefully it's all taken care of. I am calling it a lesson learned, and glad that I have LB in martial arts now!!

We ran around yesterday with friends again... to karate and then spent a few hours at Urban Air. They got to run and play. We haven't been there in probably 2 months, so it was good to be back!! LB ran and played and had a blast. I am glad she has opportunities to play. Being an only child, she doesn't have a sibling to play with so I have to go out and actively seek kids for her to play with. I appreciate her friends SO much!

Today we have homeschool skating at the roller skating rink, then she is back to working with the horse again finally.

Eventmom: that sounds pretty severe, a tear in the dura!! I'm glad they found it. Wow. Worth it to get it fixed for sure!

for both Eventmom and Ebianco: I agree the kid should be was severely punished. I really hope he knows the severity of what he did, and I hope his TKD instructor really gives it to him. I want him to remember this for the rest of his life!! I really doubt he will be at any more homeschool gym days. If he is, I intend to stick close to him and make him and his Mom uncomfortable by how close of an eye I keep on him.

I am hoping our lives die down now and we can just go back to being normal people without having so much drama!!! Sheesh. What a stressful few days.
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 01-15-21, 12:13 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

TA 2.8 day 6 + meta dc

ebianco - thanks on the procedure and also the reminder about callanetics express, I do have that one! but who knows I may spend $10 on the dvd with all the original quick callanetics!

buzzer - so glad to hear that lb is feeling better. but still wow. thanks on the procedure we'll see how it goes.
Old 01-15-21, 02:31 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Happy Friday!

Today was my active rest day so I did Firm Ballroom Aerobics and the stretches (and my own stretches) from Super Callanetics. For about a 35 minute workout. I really like this Ballroom Aerobics! It is definitely not too hard, not really that hard at all really (except some of the choreography-LOL two left feet here), and perfect for my light Fridays.

Eventmom Oh yeah! I don't think I have the original Quick Callanetics. In fact, I think Super Callanetics may be the only original I have. I'm sure it is a good one!

Buzzer I am glad LB is feeling better. I still can't believe that incident Hopefully the mom and bully kid do not show up at future get togethers. At least not with a super huge apology about what happened.

I rarely do the upper or lower body workouts from the Fitprime series, just because I don't really like the split idea. But I LOVE Metaboost! And Pump, both with Heidi. And the other total body workouts. They are definitely worth exploring more!
Old 01-17-21, 06:13 AM  
Buzzer

Fitprime Lean... DONE!

This is one I had marked "good for light day" and it was good, and for a light day! I did go all out on this, adding some triple steps in where they just stood in one place, or just making it a little tougher for myself. It must have worked, because I was sitting yesterday and my glutes were super sore!

I used 8's as my heavy weight and 3's as my light. I'm never sure on weights for Firm workouts, especially when they work the legs so much. I don't want to use super heavy weights on my legs too many days in a row. It ended up being good though.

Today we will be working on the garage, so I will probably skip my workout or do a yoga or a stretch.

So I may have also been sore because I moved around the living room yesterday. I flipped where the couch and where our chairs have been so we can use the couch more. now I need to start moving down the house and working on decluttering and moving things again. I think I declutter more when I move furniture!! Plus I found an old pull-up under the couch (along with apparently 5 years of dust and dirt) so it's been a while since I rearranged. Or apparently cleaned under the couch too intensely.

LB and I watched all 3 movies of "Back to the Future" these last few days. I forgot what good movies those are! She LOVED the original, and I remembered 2 and 3 not being so good. Actually, they are pretty good! Time changes my opinion on a lot of things, I've discovered. I haven't watched those movies in YEARS and it was fun to see them again.

Ebianco: I had Metaboost with a note on it that said "Volume lite". It really is. It's like they took a volume workout and toned it down. I really liked it! I think doing them in a rotation is exactly what I needed to do for not only my health, but also because I have had them so long I need to go through them in an orderly fashion. I have looked at them occasionally, but since I don't know what kind of workout each is, I go to what I know instead. This way I can actually go through them and DO them! I am going to do a week of the rotation (I think I have one more day to go this week in the Fitprime week 1 rotation) and do a week of Body Beast. That way I regain my cardio/firm-ability, and don't lose my Body Beast-ness!!

Eventmom: Oh! I love Callanetics. I need to add one of those in too
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 01-17-21, 10:09 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

yesterday - TA 2.8 day 7 + dc 1.2
today - TA mat

tomorrow I'll do a 30 min essentrics then off for the procedure. As far as I know, I won't be able to workout for a month so I probably won't drop in too much - it will probably make me to sad that I'm not working out!

ebianco - I've never been interested in the fitprime splits either.

buzzer- lean is my favorite fitprime! you cracked me up about the pull up - I was using a desk in dd old room for something and was digging around to get an old keyboard out from behind it and found a new with tags bra of DDs! what, how did that happen.

waves!
Old 01-19-21, 09:59 AM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi all,

I hope you had a good holiday weekend.

I finished my workout week with Saturday-Cathe Power Hour the full workout. It was good, not overwhelmingly "fun" but definitely a burner - she really worked each muscle group for a good 5-6 minutes or more each. I have to say the whole thing went by really fast, and my DOMS was serious! The music was fun-ish. All in all another good Cathe workout for me.

Sunday-I finished my workout week with some cardio from Firm Tough Cardio Mix, then Pure Barre Resistance #1, the whole workout, for a 65 minute workout. I thought about doing another barre DVD, and was like nah I'll just do a Pure Barre, LOL. Maybe next time.

Yesterday and today are planned rest days. I don't have a clear idea of which workouts I'm going to do yet this week. Same general structure with Firm, Cathe, Pure Barre. I may try to pull out a BSS-era Firm to see if they are worth revisiting.

Edited for Wednesday: I did a warm up with Simone Rebounding DVD, then I did Firm Super Sculpting. I feel like it hasn't been too long since I've pulled this one out, but it was in December 2019 so a little over a year ago now, LOL! I really like this one. It isn't overly hard and the music is fantastic, even for a classic Firm. I like the four trainers and the structure of the workout. It is light on abs but oh well. A 65 minute overall with the rebound I did first. Maybe I feel like I've done Super Sculpting more recently because I know I've done Firm Cardio Split more recently, and it borrows all the strength parts from this DVD.

Eventmom I hope you had (or have) a really successful and smooth procedure! ((HUGS)) and I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Buzzer Great idea to cycle through all the Fitprimes in a rotation! I like Lean too although I notice I don't tend to pull out the "cardio" workouts in the set nearly as often as the strength. Not that I don't enjoy them though, they are good! The alternating weeks of Fitprime and Body Beast sound great!

My sister, niece, and I watched the first Back to the Future movie a few weeks ago. I haven't seen 2 and 3 in a long time but I remember liking them too. Great movies! Love Michael J Fox in these.