Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-08-21, 11:34 AM  
Buzzer

A week of Hard Labor chest and back... DONE!
A week fo hard labor legs (my way)... DONE!
Linda Lounge room inner & outer thighs... DONE!
Ellen Barrett Skinny Sculpt, only the standing part... DONE!

I really pushed on chest and back. It always feels like my old workouts when I do AWOHL! I used to do 8-12 reps, 3 sets each with taking it to my max on each set. This is usually about 12 reps, then 8 then 6. Then sometimes a burnout set. So it reminds me of the workouts I did in my 20's and 30's! I loved it! I felt it in my chest and back all day, and all the next day.

Since my chest and back were done, I went with legs yesterday. I did extensions and curls as my second set, and since the rep range is lower I went heavier. It was great! I love lifting heavy! My legs felt great! I had on "12 minute cardio" in the background, which has TONS of squats, so I did that between sets. Certainly did get a lot of legs yesterday! So LB and I went ice skating for 2 hours also. I was exhausted!! I couldn't figure out why ice skating destroyed me so bad, until I remembered I did legs that morning. Not a good idea to do leg day then 2 hours of ice skating!! HA!

We also moved LB back into her bed. She has been sleeping on the floor all year with her giant bear my parents gave her (we got it in like, 1984 and it's been with my parents until last year when they gave it to her) and she finally decided to move back to her bed.

Then we did more garage work. Yes, eventmom, we are doing really good on it!! We got the windows and doors roughed in, and now it's time to start stacking block again. Lots that DH has to do without us since he has the know-how and skill to do it. I feel like we hold him back a lot when we help. Last night we helped good though, even though it was freaking FREEZING. Today is stacking block!

Last night I heard a noise that sounded like Eugene upchucking, but in LB's voice. I struggled out of a deep sleep to see what was up, and LB was standing in her bedroom doorway with both dogs circling around her in a sea of fuzz. They couldn't get into our room, so they went bounding into hers and woke her up. I put them outside on the back deck, was up for about an hour, then fell back asleep on the couch. Long night!

So this morning, not feeling so bright eyed and bushy tailed, I did my favorite Linda that I do more for abs than for inner/outer thighs. I lay on my side instead of up on the elbow like she does, focus on lengthening and tightening my abs, and using my abs ala Pilates style to move my legs. So my movement is lower, and more focused. I LOVE it. After that, I did Ellen's skinny sculpt until she went to the floor, which was about 25 minutes. About 50 minutes working out today.

I liked skinny sculpt, don't love it. Good for a day like today where I don't want to work hard, am sore, and slept weird.

Today we have NOTHING PLANNED YET, except karate. I say it like that because it seems like we have had tons going on lately! So School today! Then garage work after 1:30pm. We are supposed to get snow tomorrow, so we gotta get stuff done today!

LB's awake! See you guys soon!
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-21, 04:43 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

yesterday - essentrics 30 min stretch; about 10 min of ravi & ana and a qi gong practice.
today - TA 2.9 day 1 + karen voight cardio

today's news is that my husband tested positive to covid. I ran and got tested just now. We don't have much of an idea how he would have gotten it. I've only run necessary errands with a mask and 3 dr appts in the last month? longer? I was supposed to have a procedure for my headache 1/13 but that has been canceled now I have to find a time that minimizes impact on my classes.

buzzer - doors and windows roughed in is a huge step! I hate it when I get woken up in the middle of the night, I never go back to sleep.

hi ebainco hope you are okay!
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-21, 05:17 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Happy Friday everyone,

Sorry I fell behind again. I haven't been feeling well and ended up taking an unplanned rest day yesterday, and took it easy today.

The events at the capitol building yesterday were appalling and just troubling, and it is a scary time to be in the DC area. But I am several miles outside of the city so it didn't impact me personally thank goodness (except on an emotional level).

Wednesday-Pink Firm Total Body Time Crunch or something, with Rebekah. I did it years ago once maybe, and decided it was just okay, and never did it again and got rid of it at some point! But then I found it while back for like $3 or $4 from Mary. My consensus is that it is still just okay, I like that the cardio was VERY easy to follow, but the toning was goofy and extremely repetitive, she kept the same rep pattern for every single exercise. It just wasn't great. And Pink Firms always seem to irritate my knee, so that's enough of Pink Firms for a while.

Yesterday-unplanned rest

Today-I took it easy with Firm Basics Sculpting with Weights, with Tracie, which I haven't done in months! I wanted something easy and fun. This was definitely easy and fun, in fact I barely broke a sweat LOL. But it was still the right amount of intensity for today. I don't plan to kill myself tomorrow either. Maybe the easiest version of Cathe's PHA (the LITE one). And Pure Barre on Sunday.

Eventmom I'm so sorry to hear that your husband was diagnosed with Covid I know someone whose wife got it, and he never got it and then she healed up after a couple of weeks, so I hope your situation turns out the same way...(((((HUGS)))))

Buzzer I've definitely found it's not necessarily harder work = more results. In fact, I tend to lose weight faster when I don't do as much exercise, and/or lighter exercise, because it's easier to eat right and I don't get bloated. I've had to come to terms over the past few years that exercise isn't really for weight loss (can even be detrimental if I overdo it) but as a emotional/stress reliever. I'm glad you're enjoying the heavy lifting!

I have Ellen's Skinny Sculpt but I haven't done it in a long time. I remember not liking it as much as Slim Sculpt (which I've been eyeing and plan to take out soon) but I should give it another go. I like that Linda lounge room series but since I have so many of hers (!!) I haven't revisited it in a while! I haven't even been looking at her new stuff on youtube lately, I am just so not in the mood for Tonique or all bodyweight/barre right now (except my weekly dose of Pure Barre LOL). And you know how much I love Tonique! But I know it will be waiting for me whenever I go back to it. I am just loving my Cathe/Firms right now and using weights again.
Old 01-09-21, 01:41 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

so the stress of dh having covid and the election - stress is not the right word for that - it's all sort of sinking in. decided that in case I have covid a rotation of constant TA might not be prudent. so today:

tonique express from femme fatale (15 min) kathy smith moving through menopause cardio and yoga segment. a mix of burn off stress then relax. I may do TA every other day - just not sure. DH and I are trying to socially distance in the house and I slept in dd old bedroom. this all seems just crazy.

ebianco - thanks for sharing the story of your friends, we certainly hope to have a similar result. I have symptoms but they are more consistent with the crazy levels of cedar pollen but I should get a result from my test early next week. I'm very glad to hear that you physically far from the troubles. It's unsettling - at the very least.

buzzer - waves!
Old 01-10-21, 06:53 AM  
Buzzer

AWOHL Arms and shoulders.... DONE!

I like AWOHL. three workouts, and they work everything. I have time for other workouts during the week also! I thought it was 4 workouts, however one of the workouts I printed is a full body workout. I am contemplating doing a full body when I recover from this week of hard labor. Today I will probably do a cardio since pretty much every muscle in my body is at some level of soreness! I love that.

Yesterday LB had ballet, and after I picked her up we ran into town to fill up the car with gas and get something for lunch. when we got home, I got a text from one of her friends (who has 3 kids down the street) inviting her over and saying "yes, she can spend the night" since they always ask. So at like, 2pm she went over there and I had the afternoon to go through her room, get rid of those toys she hasn't used in forever, and vacuum. Oh, and finish moving her back into her bed!

Then DH and I went to dinner. It was a good evening. This morning I woke up early, so I may have to nap later. We have church, but I'll see how I feel. I want to work on the house and do laundry today, in addition to working on the garage if we can. It snowed a bit last night (maybe an inch or two, I'll know for sure when the sun comes up) so we'll see if it gets warm enough to do anything today.

It's supposed to be 50 something this week, so we will be able to work in the warmer days hopefully.

Eventmom: I'm sorry about your husbands diagnosis. However, my DH tested positive in October and it was a bad cold with body aches and fatigue. I tested negative, and it was during the time LB and I were sleeping in the camper so we just kept sleeping out there. However we were in the house with him, LB was hugging and kissing him. I didn't, I tried to keep my distance as much as I could, but we still were in the house together during the day when he wasn't out in the garage working (his office). He was well enough to keep working (teleworking so didn't contact anyone personally). It wasn't horrible. He didn't feel good for sure, and we stayed home and hung out a lot, but seriously it was just a bad cold with body aches and fatigue for a while. I think he only missed 2 days of work because he was just too tired.

Hopefully your husbands symptoms are the less severe type too and you don't test positive.

Ebianco: I did easier workouts for a while several times... one time I quit working out all together for about a month and gained weight. More recently I did an easier rotation because I heard that working out easier was the key, so I did Ttapp, walking workouts, and other kinda low key workouts... no change. I just missed my muscles. I had great results in my 20's and 30's with heavy weight training and running, however I am not running now! HA! I did do heavy weights (not like I am now) and walking Eugene alternating days before DH took this new job, and saw no change.

Now I'm doing heavy weights and low cardio, and at least I'm seeing change in the way of nice muscles! I like knowing that I can push a car out of a ditch (which happens a lot around here... people get a car in the summer thinking it'll be good, then slide into a ditch going up our road in the winter, usually in front of our house), or lift the blocks for the garage, carry LB if I need to, or push someone away from me if I need to. LB has said several times in different situations "I'm glad I have a strong Mom" which makes me feel so good!!

I know a lot of my problems are from hormonal changes (I'm almost 50... wow. That's unreal. How did that happen?) and hopefully once my hormones calm down, it will be easier.

I used to workout to keep my weight down and look good, now I think I do it more for my mental health so I feel good. My emotions are a lot more in check, it is kinda meditative when I do it. I am guaranteed one hour of doing something for myself, I feel powerful, and focused. I turn off the phone, don't answer messages and texts, and just move. I would love the side effect of losing weight, however after trial and error I know that's not what it'll do for me. I still hope though!! I will never stop working out.

I keep reminding myself that if I didn't workout, who knows how heavy I would be. Coming from a Polish ancestry, the Polish Grandmother is known for her soft squishy, plump body. I see myself going that way, and wonder how far I would already be that way if I didn't workout.

So I guess a side tangent there. I know food is something I need to work on for sure. I feel like other people complain about how hard it is to workout, I find working out the highlight of my day, but food is hard for me!!

Today is kinda a wait and see how the day goes day! I kinda hope I can just work on the house all day!
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 01-11-21, 10:27 AM  
Buzzer

Rest day.... kinda... DONE!
Pink Firm Cardio Overdrive... DONE!
Firm 5 day abs day 1... DONE!

So LB spent Saturday night over at the neighbors house, so DH and I went to a nice restaurant and had a fantastic evening. I killed a whole bottle of wine minus one glass (that DH had), but we had a blast and talked like I don't think we've talked since we dated. It was fun.

Sunday I woke up, and I looked at my Fitbit.. it says I slept 3 1/2 hours. I decided not to workout. it must have been good wine, because I didn't feel hungover at all. We went to church, and I spent the rest of the day cleaning the house and doing laundry that is overflowing. I hate laundry (who doesn't?)

DH needed help moving blocks into the skid steer so he could move them into the garage, then unload them. So I helped load and unload about 3 pallets of blocks, about 70 or 80 blocks a pallet. It wasn't horrible, it was just lifting them enough to get them onto the lowered bucket then taking them out of the lowered bucket and putting them on the dolly, but it gave me a grand total of 13k steps yesterday. I was tired.

I also took down Christmas since LB was gone (so she couldn't be upset), and cleaned her room. Before she left we moved her bed and kinda cleaned, so she hasn't even noticed that I cleaned it better and removed some old toys and things. She didn't get home until about 5pm last night! The Mom said that they didn't fall asleep until about 1am, and woke up at 8am. So I am going to let her sleep in today!

I slept really well last night. 7 hours again! The house is feeling better, and today is school and karate. Other than that, maybe more house cleaning.

So I didn't notice they took down (or got rid of) all old checkin!! I was going to look and see what I thought of some of the Dream Bodies, thinking I could do a sweat series today, but they are gone. I am sad, because a lot of the time I write out what I did and what I thought so if I go back I can look and see what I thought and did!! oh well. what can I do.

It snowed Saturday night, but this week is supposed to be in the 40's and 50's so hopefully we get more garage done.

I hope you guys are doing well. I am still a little sore today, so I decided on Cardio Overdrive because I had written a little note in it that said "good with Body Beast". It was. It's like alternating aerobics and 4 limb aerobics. I didn't do all they did, I took it up a notch in places and took it down a notch in others. It was good though and I sweat!

When they took it to the "stretch", which I don't like their stretch in this one, I turned it off and did day 1 of 5 day abs. It's Janet Jones, and I love vol 2 so much. I loved it.

So off of a day of bad eating (yesterday was SO BAD. I got 2 party packs of tacos at Taco Bell Saturday, so you know how yesterday went....) today I will be back on track.
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 01-11-21, 12:19 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

yesterday - callanetics countdown level 3
today - TA 2.8 day 2 + pop star

great news - I tested negative!

and DD has a periodontist appt wed and they told him to come in. We will probably wait until the weekend to go out for other types of errands. Our daughter and her bf brought us groceries last night.

buzzer - thanks for sharing your dh story. hopefully that will be our outcome. my dh really doesn't feel that bad so hopefully it will remain that way. It is frustrating when we can't get appearance results from all this exercise! but you're right there are so many other benefits I need to try to focus on those.

waves ebianco!
Old 01-11-21, 09:07 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi all,

Saturday-still kept it lighter with Firm Volume 6 although I used a little heavier weights and I was sweating by the end! But it was definitely easier than a full length Cathe would have been.

Sunday-Pure Barre Results Thighs warm up through bonus inner thigh set at the end plus stretch for about a 45 minute workout.

Planned rest days today and tomorrow. Hopefully with a lighter week last week, and my recovery days, and I had a massage today, and have been icing my knees extra, I will feel rejuvenated by Wednesday for a stronger workout week this week.

Eventmom Congratulations that you tested negative on Covid!!! I really hope your husband has a swift recovery and you can quickly put it behind you. I'm so glad you didn't get sick.

I remember Callanetics Countdown was a tough workout, I don't know if I ever did Level 3 of that DVD! Is that on pare with Callenetics Extreme?

Buzzer I hear you about the eating. My appetite has been out of control!! And I am trying (really trying and only partially succeeding ) to follow the "S Diet" which is no sweets (my main focus), no snacking, and no seconds unless the day ends with "S", i.e., weekends. So I let myself have sweets on Saturday and Sunday but am trying not to eat them all week. This is coming down from my habit of wanting to eat 1+ candy bars every day. I've been making recipes to vary my eating too, so I don't feel as trapped or in a food rut. So far I haven't pared down my calories at all, I am just so hungry!! But at least most of what I'm eating now is a lean meat and vegetables. I hope to even out eventually as I've gained a couple of pounds.

I definitely had great results in my 20s with heavier weights, and then in my early 30s it seemed like Tonique/barre was the only thing that was effective (I am 38). Now I've returned to moderate/heavy weights (not super heavy but Firm/Cathe) and at least I'm maintaining my weight. I hope my recent increased appetite is passing and not a delayed reaction to my doing more weight lifting. I think that's why working out lighter has worked for me in the past - I don't have to compete with my appetite. I am not running now either!! Maybe once a month at most now, and not for very long at all. Anyway I'm so glad your heavy weights are working for you!! That is a nice endorsement from LB about being a strong mom

I haven't done Pink Firm Cardio Overdrive in years, probably since it came out! I am glad it was good! And I used to get tons of use out of Firm 5 day abs. I always liked Volume 2 and 4 the best, although 3 is a tough one too! It's a shame they didn't make it 6 Day Abs and include Volume 1, because that was a tough ab set too.
Old 01-12-21, 11:02 AM  
Buzzer

P90X Yoga... DONE!

Of course, I skipped yoga belly 7. I did some spine rotation stretches, then called it a day. 90 minutes of yoga is a lot, and the yoga belly 7 just seems to not be necessary. I did firm abs yesterday so I feel good about my decision.

I definitely needed the stretch though!

So yesterday, LB complained all morning about her itchy finger, and when she scratched it it hurt. I thought it was just an infected hang nail or something, and told her to ice it. I also gave her a blob of lidocaine burn cream and had her rub it on her finger. About lunch time, she said it felt like it was "cementing". That caught my ear... I looked at it. Her finger was swollen as big as an adults finger!! It was HUGE! I looked all over it, can't find a stinger or bite mark. Cant find anything except a huge finger. I iced it, and gave her a little Benadryl. Not enough to make her sleepy though.

so we went to a playground at a school to meet 2 other families. One of the ladies gave me some tea tree oil, so we'll see how that does. We were chatting, and suddenly noticed the kids were gone. They aren't allowed to just go far away, and after a few minutes we all started to worry. We started walking around the building, and one of the little boys came to us and said that the other kids had gone to the parking lot and "then left". We worried more, walked faster.

Got to the back of the building... no kids in sight. There's a man standing way on the other side of the building (keep in mind it's a school, so it's pretty long) and he's waving at us to go back to the playground. So we fast walk/jog back to the playground... no kids. We walk along the playground to the other side of the building... the kids all come running up. All except LB. One of the Mom's asks "where's LB?" and all the kids scatter and start panic yelling for her. I panic. I jog over, then me and another Mom start going around the building again.

It dawns on me, as we are running calling to her, that we assumed the random man was one of the boys' Dad that the girls were playing with, but I didn't know for sure. I had just trusted a random man to tell me to go back to the playground. The other Mom and kids were running ahead, so I slowed down to look around, look down streets, look in corners, look all around in case she was with him somewhere.

I finally made it around the school just as LB apparently came from the other direction... which I have NO idea how I didn't run into her.. and one of the other Mom's was hugging her. She ran to me and hugged me crying. I was so upset I felt tears rolling down my cheeks, but I wasn't crying. I don't know if I was relieved or mad or scared or what. I told LB "It's time for us to leave." we walked past the other Mom's and all I could say was "It's time for us to leave." LB and I drove to another parking lot where I sat there, in silence, pulling myself together.

LB tried to cover for her friends, then it came out that two of the other girls were playing a spy game and decided to spy on the Moms. They went around he building and the others followed them. LB got scared and instead of staying with the group, told them she was going to go look for me and tried running back. She said she got lost (which is no surprise since the building was so big) and didn't hear us yelling for her.

I didn't know whether to be angry or sad or scared or what. I talked to the other Moms and their stories all lined up with what LB said. So she's not in trouble, except for following them all around the building in the first place. I did tell her not to go off on her own. She was scared, I was scared... it was just bad.

So she has to let me know any time she is going somewhere out of my sight for the next 2 weeks. Any time we are anywhere, if she is going somewhere else, like from a friends house to outside and I'm there, she has to tell me she's going. Mostly for me, because that shook me up so bad, but also so maybe she will get in the habit.

So we got some cortisone cream for her finger, her finger is still swollen. We had a dramatic day, and I think one of the most profound things I have come out of this with is that I could not run to save my daughter's life. I tried running around that building, and it about killed me. I need to work on my cardio. I have been doing Body beast since the beginning of June, so my muscle is good, I need to work on cardio for sure. I never want to get that winded or feel that weighted down again if I am running with the purpose of finding LB.

Eventmom: Hopefully you guys are still doing good and it hasn't impacted your lives that much. It's unnerving for sure.

Ebianco: Sugar is definitely my demon as well! Not just straight sugar, but pizza crust, garlic bread, deep fried breaded whatevers... it's a hard battle!!

Waves to you guys! I have to go wake up LB and get started with school. She was up really late last night, and it cracked me up because she stayed up late without us saying "time for bed", and then when she was going to bed DH told her "you need to start getting up earlier." Cracked me up because it was really our fault she stayed up late, so she will sleep in!!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 01-12-21, 12:07 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

today - TA 2.8 day 3 + 15 min power walk decades.

so I have a procedure next week to try to repair something in my spine that will hopefully end this headache. We were going to do it tomorrow but due to dh covid they are waiting until monday. I won't be able to workout for a month - or ride - or anyway not looking forward to that part.

buzzer - you are nicer mom than me, I would have been livid and you have every right to be scared. I know she didn't mean anything by it but it was not okay! Hopefully she will be more aware from now on.

ebianco - I think the level 3 is more like the original callanetics. But too much abs IMO - but I think that about all of lacey's callanetics. sometimes I think I should grab callanetics hip/butt original.