Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-20, 12:53 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
I just got an email from Tune Up Fitness....you can get 20% off the Walking well program with the code WONDERLAND20. It says valid through the 27th.
I guess I should have waited. I got the 15% off deal. I watched and did the first two sections (feet and ankles) but I had internet problems this weekend so couldn't access it. I have been meaning to email Jill to ask for advice on how to best use this program.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-20, 12:06 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmDancer View Post
Yes, the fat pads in your feet do diminish with age; at least that's what I learned when I danced (ballet). But I've gained so much weight since my ballet days that I think I've replenished my feet fat pads - lol! Seriously, though - I wear super-thick SmartWool socks or other hiking socks with my minimalist shoes. I wear Xero shoes. The customer service was great. I eventually went to wearing men's styles, as they have a broader forefoot and all my bones could spread out. I also went yet another 1/2 size larger.

The other noticeable thing is that, even tho I hardly worked out during the early months of the pandemic due to stress, is that whatever I did - I focused on posterior chain work. My glutes and hamstrings are stronger and I stretch them everyday (along with my hip flexors). So I think standing up straighter and having stronger glutes helped my gait a lot.

-Anita
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
I think this happens, but also, I think the type of surfaces you walk on matter a lot.

I’ve been wearing minimalist shoes for years, mostly zero drop. I am used to them, and my feet and legs normally feel great, but if I have a couple of days where I have had to walk almost exclusively on concrete vs. normal days where it is more varied, my feet and back hurt. There are minimalist shoes where the layer beneath your feet is next to nothing, and others that have minimal drop from heel to toe but still have some padding. If I could walk on the unpaved ground most of the time I can go barefoot or bare minimalist, but many surfaces are not kind to barefoot middle-aged feet.
FirmDancer, I have Xero hiking shoes and I hadn't used them for a long time but I tried them for walks again after I started getting pain wearing the Adidas Cloudforms. The foot pain improved somewhat but the Altra's seem to be working better for me now at least for the walks I take around my neighborhood that are on paved streets/roads. I like the Xero's better for hikes on trails.
prettyinpink that makes sense about the walking surface but I had been walking primarily on pavement in both my minimalist and Cloudforms with no problem then all of a sudden I started noticing that paved surfaces felt really hard and my feet got really tired and sore. When I walk on trails even if there is an uneven surface my feet do feel better. For walking on pavement the extra padding in the Altra's work best.
Old 12-24-20, 06:51 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
FirmDancer, I have Xero hiking shoes and I hadn't used them for a long time but I tried them for walks again after I started getting pain wearing the Adidas Cloudforms. The foot pain improved somewhat but the Altra's seem to be working better for me now at least for the walks I take around my neighborhood that are on paved streets/roads. I like the Xero's better for hikes on trails. .
Thank you for mentioning this!! With the weather right now being cold, wet, sloshy, muddy, I'm going to be walking on paved/asphalt trails or sidewalks. I do have a pair of Altar (somewhere in my closet). I will try them!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-20, 09:40 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmDancer View Post
Thank you for mentioning this!! With the weather right now being cold, wet, sloshy, muddy, I'm going to be walking on paved/asphalt trails or sidewalks. I do have a pair of Altar (somewhere in my closet). I will try them!
I don't know much about Altra shoes but the ones I have are the Torrin Plush which I believe have more padding than their other styles. So YMMV.
I saw my sister in early November due to a family emergency and she was wearing the Torrin Plush which is how I learned about them. At that point my feet were starting to bother me and she recommended the shoes as very "cushy" A few weeks later my feet could take no more of my walking shoes and I ordered the Altras. Expensive but worth it to me at this point. I hope to someday return to wearing minimalist shoes.
BTW, I didn't wear the Xeros much because they were actually stiff. The New Balance minimus had no padding but were more flexible. When I tried the Xeros again recently i put padded insoles in them.

Tags
jill miller, katy bowman, walking well