Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-04-20, 03:52 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

How soon is too soon?

VFers, help a girl out here.

How soon is too soon to expect yourself to "get back on track" after a traumatic event in your life?

TRIGGER WARNING>>>>>>>>>>>

My mom shot herself in the head on September 8. It was very unexpected and very traumatic. I am still reeling in many ways, wondering around in circles about what could've been different and what difference various things could've made... It is just very raw.

Before the event, I was doing really well with workouts and also eating well....

Since, that has all fallen apart. Haven't done a workout of any sort in almost a month. Super over-eating on sugary things. Then salty. Then sugary. Just seeking COMFORT with my mouth which we all know doesn't work.

My birthday is October 2, which corresponds with the last quarter of the year, and I have a long-lived habit of reevaluating and recommitting on that date, sort of like a second new year for me. I make new years resolutions TWICE a year, one January 1 and again on my birthday. My birthday resolutions are often sort of a corrective, returning to Jan 1 resolutions that have faded, or ditching what hasn't worked to try to redeem the end of the year. "Ending Strong" has been a theme more than once (a strength-heavy rotation for Oct-Dec.)

This year, I'm feeling like it's time to be getting my head back together!

But I'm not sure that's realistic. I am aware that I bury emotions... and I wonder if, by expecting myself to "get back on the wagon" if that's not exactly what I'm doing?

I do want to start to feel better again... and toward that goal I just ate a lovely handful of raw kohlrabi slices instead of a donut. I want to nourish myself, not rush myself back to normalcy as I have an unfortunate history of doing.

So is it too soon to expect to get back to a workout routine? Part of me says yes, don't be ridiculous.... part of me says no, getting back to better habits will probably help.

Would appreciate any input. Thank you so much in advance.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grief, healing after loss, loss, suicide