Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-19-14, 08:14 AM  
akaAnnie

Barre results with small movements vs larger movements

I've been thinking of add some barre workouts and in researching dvds it seems that some use smaller movements-Callanetics and Bar method and some use much larger ones-P57 for example. What if any is the difference in results for these two styles? By results I mean "sculpting" and inch loss, not weight loss primarily.
akaAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-14, 10:42 AM  
Rachael1216

I would love to hear responses about this as well.
Rachael1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-14, 11:25 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I'd love to hear people's thoughts, too. I've had great results from Physique 57, which does include some larger range-of-motion, but there is also a fair bit of 'up an inch, down an inch' in P57, too. I do love the cardio component in those, and the fun factor has kept me consistent.

But lately I've been taking a lot of live classes at Pure Barre, which is typically only smaller movements, and I'm getting great results, too. Of course, that's a live class setting, which is pretty much always more challenging than DVDs.

With both, I feel tight (in a good way!), flexible, strong, etc. I do love that P57 uses slightly heavier weights. It's one of the very few barre brands that uses heavier than 5lbs.

I've never really done any barre DVDs exclusively, other than Physique 57. So I'd love to hear what others think.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-14, 02:14 PM  
caitlinpyle

So it's worth it to pay for classes Nuggie? I live <10 minutes from Bar Method, Barre54 and soon a PureBarre. Further away there is another Barre54 and a barre3!!

Barre, Indoor Walking, and Rebounding Lover

Favorites: Suzanne Bowen, Jessica Smith, Ellen Barrett
caitlinpyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-14, 02:31 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by caitlinpyle View Post
So it's worth it to pay for classes Nuggie? I live <10 minutes from Bar Method, Barre54 and soon a PureBarre. Further away there is another Barre54 and a barre3!!
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!!

Yes. I know they can be costly and more time consuming than working out at home, but really, there is great benefit in taking live classes. Even if you just go once in a while, the form corrections you'll get from a trained instructor make your DVD workouts so much more beneficial.

I don't know Barre54, but I think you'll typically find good instruction at The Bar Method. My experiences at Pure Barre have been mixed--some instructors are really good and on top of form corrections; others, not so much. I'd love to hear your thoughts on barre3! I was hoping to get to there on our CA vacation earlier this year, but couldn't make it.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-14, 07:18 PM  
slysam

I don't know since I've never exclusively did the small pulsing movements. I had great results with P57 and I would say it kind of uses both. I also had good results doing ballet barre or a live (non branded) class that was a mix of pilates and ballet barre. These used larger movements though pilates does use smaller movements. I kind of think a mix of the isometrics and pulses and the larger movements is ideal. I just bought the Element Barre conditioning with Sadie Lincoln, I haven't used it yet, but it said Barre3 uses both the small pulsing movements and larger flowing movements (?). I know Barre3 has been quite popular on this site. I do think doing some isometrics is really beneficial especially for muscles that stabilize joints and barre workouts are one type that includes them (though some fusion, yoga and other dance inspired workouts do too).
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-14, 07:35 PM  
alisoncooks

I've had good results with small-range barre DVDs. I steer clear of large range or flowy moves... Don't like them and some hurt my knees...
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-14, 08:14 PM  
cherimac

My current lovefest is with Suzanne Bowen Fitness/BarreAmped. She uses both types of movements and I love it and have seen toning/lost inches. I find using both to be effective and good cross training.
Old 04-20-14, 12:34 AM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Judy Mooser used to incorporate both large and small movements into her live Callanetics classes, although the videos only use small movements.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote