Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-14, 04:17 PM  
thaispice

length by segment of Tonique DVDs

Calling all Tonique aficionados: do any of you have a list of the length and names of each of the Tonique DVDs or downloads, broken into segments? Bonus if you have a description of the focus of each segment (e.g., which body part, floor work vs. standing, cardio vs. toning). For example:

Segment Length Focus
Verve x min abs/core
BTM 1.1 x min ??
BTM 1.2 x min ??
Energy Mat x min ??

etc.

Thank you so much for your help!
thaispice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-14, 07:57 PM  
desie

Cheryl wrote a response to this maybe a week ago, I saved it and added to it a tiny bit:

I would be happy to tell you which ones are the hardest to the easiest. This will just be my opinion. I hope I remember all of her DVDs.

1 - FF Phase 2 which is 128 minutes. I rate it the hardest because of the length
2 - BTM 1.1 which is 73 minutes and very, very glute intensive.

Here is where it gets tricky for me.

3 - BTM 2.0
4 - ATM which is 79 minutes lots of up & down moves. The length makes it harder, but it's a really fun workout
5 - BTM 1.2 is 36 minutes which is challenging for many who aren't used to lots of cardio
6 - FF phase 3 which is 38 minutes and has a handstand segment
7 - FF Phase 1 which is 31 minutes, a lot of squats
8 - Sculpt Dynamics disc 1 which is mostly cardio with sculpting interspersed
9 - Cardio mat which is about 75 minutes and isn't chaptered at all and is filmed outside
10 - Oh, I just remembered Energy Mat which I think is harder than Cardio Mat
The last couple to rate depends on whether you do all the segments.

If you do the entire workout I would say that
11 - Premiere
12 - Tonique 2 disc 1 45 minutes
13 - Tonique 2 disc 2 45 minutes
14 - Tonique Mat

Tonique disc 1 is more sculpting than cardio and Tonique disc 2 is more cardio than sculpting.

Oh yea, there is Sculpt Dynamics disc 2 which is all arms and about 35 minutes

Energy Mat is about 65 minutes half of which is on all fours doing lower body work and the second half is more core/ab work.

There is a dynamic stretch mini workout on BTM, I think it is on Energy Mat too.

On ATM and FF, there are two mini workouts, Verve (mostly ab curls) and Sway (plank from a platform). About 15 minutes or less each.

Plus, Sylwia has 5 downloads that are mini leg workouts. So, you see, there are so many to choose from.

HTH
Cheryl
desie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-14, 07:18 PM  
thaispice

Thanks, desie (and Cheryl). Very helpful. I was eyeing Cardio Mat since it's on Mary's sale (and pretty cheap to begin with), but it doesn't get great reviews from the VF threads I've read. It seems to me after watching a few clips that Sylwia uses the same moves in all her DVDs, it's just a question of how many reps. That suggests I should get a DVD that is longer, but broken into segments. Does that make sense? If so, which would you recommend?
Old 04-17-14, 07:36 PM  
A-Bot
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaispice View Post
Thanks, desie (and Cheryl). Very helpful. I was eyeing Cardio Mat since it's on Mary's sale (and pretty cheap to begin with), but it doesn't get great reviews from the VF threads I've read. It seems to me after watching a few clips that Sylwia uses the same moves in all her DVDs, it's just a question of how many reps. That suggests I should get a DVD that is longer, but broken into segments. Does that make sense? If so, which would you recommend?
If you have never done her, Id try Premiere or some of her downloads Both are segment oriented.
Old 04-17-14, 08:01 PM  
edensmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaispice View Post
Her style has really evolved since her early workouts so it isn't really the same moves...I think CardioMat would be fine to start, I like it and it isn't as deadly as the newer ones. Tonique takes time to master and I think starting out with BTM or FF (even the shorter workouts) could be pretty overwhelming.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-14, 09:52 PM  
samanthaeve

Just wanted to pop in and say that I started with Premier, but within a few weeks time I acquired BTM, Femme Fatale and Addicted to Movement. Even with a background in Premier, I still felt a little overwhelmed at first attempt, but thankfully a check in was started and it helped a bunch! And there are segments on those, so it helped make the attempts "doable" as opposed to "No way!"

Tonique is a journey of sorts for me. Climbing the ladder one deep lunge at a time...
samanthaeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-14, 10:29 PM  
thaispice

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice. I have tried Tonique Premier, and thought it was kind of boring. The clips of Femme Fatale looked so much better in terms of variety of moves, but if the second segment is crazy long at 128 minutes, that seems rather useless because I usually only have 45-50 minutes to workout. Is there some way to break that first segment of FF into shorter pieces?

Last edited by thaispice; 04-19-14 at 10:30 PM. Reason: corrected information about FF
Old 04-20-14, 07:51 AM  
casey

FF is a great value even if you are just starting out.

Phase 1 is about 30 min
Phase 3 is about 38 minutes
The Express workout is about 20 minutes. It's the download called Sculpt 1.
It also has Sway, which is an elevated plank workout and Verve which is for abs. They are shorter as well and I haven't even tried them yet.
Phase 2 is long. When I first got it I did the first 32 minutes, which is one leg and then restarted and switched to my other leg, for about an hour workout. Now I do the first 90 minutes and love it. If you do 90 minutes, you do one leg, then planks and cardio bursts and then the other leg. I also done the last 45 min of Phase 2 as a separate workout. It's more abs, core and cardio done that way.

When I first did her newer workouts, I got overwhelmed after a week or so because I had done Premier, Tonique 2, Mat and CardioMat. These are more complex with triple repeating combinations and much harder. I stepped back and did shorter portions and segments, and added in other workouts from different instructors. Her downloads are what I think are the best way to start. They are short, cheap and they get you completely ready for trying her new workouts. They are fun too. Now, I can do her new workouts and I love them. They are totally changing my body in a good way. I can do them for days and then throw in a run and run faster and longer. Before, I had to run several times a week to feel effortless during my run. These are different than anything I have ever done and I've been working out for a long time. I'm 51.

HTH Casey
casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 11:57 AM  
thaispice

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey View Post
FF is a great value even if you are just starting out.

Phase 1 is about 30 min
Phase 3 is about 38 minutes
The Express workout is about 20 minutes. It's the download called Sculpt 1.
It also has Sway, which is an elevated plank workout and Verve which is for abs. They are shorter as well and I haven't even tried them yet.
Phase 2 is long. When I first got it I did the first 32 minutes, which is one leg and then restarted and switched to my other leg, for about an hour workout. Now I do the first 90 minutes and love it. If you do 90 minutes, you do one leg, then planks and cardio bursts and then the other leg. I also done the last 45 min of Phase 2 as a separate workout. It's more abs, core and cardio done that way.

When I first did her newer workouts, I got overwhelmed after a week or so because I had done Premier, Tonique 2, Mat and CardioMat. These are more complex with triple repeating combinations and much harder. I stepped back and did shorter portions and segments, and added in other workouts from different instructors. Her downloads are what I think are the best way to start. They are short, cheap and they get you completely ready for trying her new workouts. They are fun too. Now, I can do her new workouts and I love them. They are totally changing my body in a good way. I can do them for days and then throw in a run and run faster and longer. Before, I had to run several times a week to feel effortless during my run. These are different than anything I have ever done and I've been working out for a long time. I'm 51.

HTH Casey
Thank you, Casey. That's quite helpful! I don't know if you saw from another VF thread, but ATM is sold out on Mary's site -- another reason to get FF, hah.

I am really amazed at the intensity and length of your workouts as well as those of others on the Tonique check-in. Like you, I've been exercising for a very long time, and last year my knee started to give me problems. Some days I feel like I'm 80 instead of 40. I'm doing some PT which has helped, but I need to go back to my orthopedic doctor because it's still quite troublesome. Is there anything that you've done over the years to preserve your knee health? I'd love to be able to run now, let alone when I'm 51.
Old 04-21-14, 09:25 PM  
casey

I have read studies with different opinions but one study said that people who run have no more knee problems than those who don't run, long term. I can only go by my own experiences. Running has never bothered my knees but high impact jumping does bother me. I try to concentrate on landing more on my forefoot and not on my heel. I have read that there is much greater impact if you land on the rear part of your foot.

Most of all, I just trust my own gut feeling and that has always worked best for me. I went to a very respected running shoe store and the salesman recommended a very corrective Brooks running shoe to me. They felt like two bricks on my feet and I almost quit running. I went back and asked to try on a lightweight shoe with neutral qualities. No correction. I run pain free now. If it ain't broke, I'm not fixing it. My gait is fine with me so I'm not correcting it.

I don't run as far as many of the women here do. I don't run more than 25 miles a week, for sure. So I'm not what is considered a serious runner. I run for the joy of it. It's meditative to me and relaxing. On the day my body can't run anymore, I will do something else. My dh has bad knees and flat feet so we offroad bike together. I think it is harder than running. Both my kids despise running because they both have flat feet. They are competitive swimmers.

You don't have to run or do Tonique to be fit. I do them because I love them and they feel good to my body. Do what feels good to your body. Do what you love. The results will follow. HTH Casey
casey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tonique, tonique rotation