Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-14, 08:43 PM  
BunnyHop

Just thought I'd post a link to this list: 10 Best Teen Reads from The Guardian's website.

There are other lists there as well with some intriguing titles on it that I was unfamiliar with.
BunnyHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-14, 09:48 PM  
pbnj

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post

If you can handle dark reads (but ultimately redeeming and rich reads), you may like the Lumatere Chronicles by Melina Marchetta. I've reread these twice in 6 months because there was just so much TO them. Full of ugliness... but also light. (Sounds silly, but these really have stuck deep in me.) Great fantasy, medieval-esque setting. Marchetta writes broken people very well...
I didn't know she had written sequels! So glad I saw your post.
pbnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-14, 11:45 PM  
kmissa

Quote:
WARNING, WARNING. I get carried away with recs down below. Everyone keep on moving. Fantasy nerd alert!

LOL, well I won't judge you b/c I tend to enjoy rereading favorites. I've read the Hunger Games trilogy twice. At least. (Don't ask how many times I've read the Harry Potter series, though...)

**Waving my hand in the air** as a big-time fantasy reader. I mostly read YA fantasy, as well as a lot of the YA dystopian books... What have you liked recently, other than The Hunger Games? If you like dystopian/survival type reads, I really enjoyed the Enclave/Outpost/Horde (Ann Agguire) trilogy. Has a much better ending than that horrible Divergent fiasco...

Oh, I'm also much-loving the Lunar Chronicles series (Cinder, Scarlet, and Cress have been released, with one more on the horizon). The author is Marissa Meyer.

Marie Lu's Legend/Prodigy/Champion trilogy was satisfying. Solid ending.

If you can handle dark reads (but ultimately redeeming and rich reads), you may like the Lumatere Chronicles by Melina Marchetta. I've reread these twice in 6 months because there was just so much TO them. Full of ugliness... but also light. (Sounds silly, but these really have stuck deep in me.) Great fantasy, medieval-esque setting. Marchetta writes broken people very well...

If you like historical fantasy (alternative steampunk stuff), Scott Westerfeld's Leviathon/Behemoth/Goliath is great. WW1 with a steampunk twist. Very cool.

I've also liked some things by Kim Cashore (Graceling, Fire)... Caragh O'Brien (Birthmarked, Promised, Prized), and Rae Carson (Girl of Fire & Thorns trilogy -- love).
This is an awesome list! I will look into adding them to my list I love this thread for recommendations. Id love to reread Harry potter but it's such a time investment. I'm glad you mentioned divergent that had me worried about other ya series. I just got jojo moyes latest, but I joined the good reads challenge so I have at least 40 more books to read.
kmissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-14, 10:08 AM  
Fit Gal

I also love YA fantasy and dystopian novels.

Besides the ones already suggested ,, I loved Starters/Enders by Lissa Price.
And loved Delerium Series by Lauren Oliver,, dystopian where love is considered a disease.

I found a new to me YA fantasy author Jennifer L. Armentrout
There's a complete series (mythological descendants high school) first book is Daimon then Half-Blood...read through the entire series. loved it. Some say it's like Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy Series which I also loved.

Jennifer Armentrout also has an alien next door series starting with Shadows then Obsidian,, I'm waiting for the last book to come out.

Binged on both series over the last couple weeks.
I just finished her first book in her new series White Hot Kiss with demon/gargoyle living in the human world.
Fit Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-14, 10:59 AM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fit Gal View Post
And loved Delerium Series by Lauren Oliver,, dystopian where love is considered a disease.
Did you still love the series after the final book? That sort of ruined it for me...
I'll have to look into your other recs!

Oh, if you love fantasy stuff, Fit Gal, have you read the Laini Taylor series (Daughter of Smoke & Bone).
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-14, 11:20 AM  
Fit Gal

Quote:
Did you still love the series after the final book? That sort of ruined it for me...
I'll have to look into your other recs!

Oh, if you love fantasy stuff, Fit Gal, have you read the Laini Taylor series (Daughter of Smoke & Bone).
Thanks for the rec. I had read I think most of what you listed. I have not read Daughter of Smoke & Bone..will look at that.

Other YA fantasy recs I've read maybe you would like:
Hex Hall Series by Rachel Hawkins and
Mythos Academy Series by Jennifer Estep and
House of Night Series by Kristin Cast and P.C. Cast which I liked a lot but now seems to be dragging (IMHO the series should have ended a while ago)

I was okay with Delerium ending but HATED Divergent series ending.
Old 03-11-14, 11:22 AM  
Fit Gal

oh, and totally on another wavelength, I couldn't sleep last night so read Patti Smith Just Kids biography. It got great reviews but I thought it was so very depressing.
Old 03-11-14, 12:33 PM  
kmissa

En Espanol

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmissa View Post
I'm rereading catching fire for the 3rd time bc I'm a crazy person lol. I can't think of anything else to read and at least this way I know I won't be disappointed at the end.
I'm thinking of reading the series in Spanish to sharpen my Espanol. That way I feel less guilty
kmissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-14, 02:11 PM  
beth22

I just blasted through two books in about 3 days-- The Husband's Secret and What Alice Forgot--both by Liane Moriarty. They were wonderful! Right now I'm reading Me Before You by JoJo Moyes. Very good. I'm not very far into it, but I like it so far.
beth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-14, 04:20 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I'm a Game of Thrones fan so I read Storm of Swords, which is the third book. I saw at Amazon that the 4th and 5th books are not that well-liked. I'm wondering if I should continue. I'd hate to read such thick books and then not care for them. Has anyone read the later books?