Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-14, 11:32 PM  
Jewels5

I just read Wonder by R.J. Palacio for my book club. It was really good and made for a great book club discussion with the many characters. Before that I read The Lost Hours by Karen White.

I really liked The Rose Project too, and will definitely be interested in reading the sequel!

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -Heather Cortez
Jewels5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-14, 11:34 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
The author of "The Rosie Project" is writing a sequel.

I finished JoJo Moyes latest book (which I liked very much) and now I am reading Lucy Dillon's newest book.

Sherry
Which JoJo Moyes book? I will be reading Me before You with my book group in June.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy W. View Post
Just finishing 'Cutting for Stone'. Excellent book; loved it far more than I thought I would! Brilliantly written and plotted. I highly recommend it.
This is one of my favorite books.

I have been reading "My Promised Land:The Triumph and Tragedy of Israel" by Ari Shavit. It is good but it could use some editing. I have the e-book on loan from the library and the loan ends tomorrow or Tuesday and I am only half way through. I will see if I can borrow it again.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-14, 05:22 AM  
sherry7899

Leslie-I ordered Jojo Moyes newest book from Amazon UK. It is called "The One Plus One." It will be released in the USA on July 1st. I treated myself for my birthday

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-14, 01:49 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Bumping as people are still posting on the winter reading thread.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-14, 01:52 PM  
Sissy B

Right now I'm reading A Share in Death (A Duncan Kincaid/Gemma James Mystery) by Deborah Crombie.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-14, 02:14 PM  
ellaenchanted

Just finished Me Before You by Jojo Moyes. I loved it and cried at the end.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-14, 05:23 PM  
kmissa

I'm rereading catching fire for the 3rd time bc I'm a crazy person lol. I can't think of anything else to read and at least this way I know I won't be disappointed at the end.
kmissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-14, 07:42 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmissa View Post
I'm rereading catching fire for the 3rd time bc I'm a crazy person lol. I can't think of anything else to read and at least this way I know I won't be disappointed at the end.
That was a bit funny . There are some YA book lovers on here, and fantasy genre readers, maybe they can help you pick out something new.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-14, 08:19 PM  
alisoncooks

WARNING, WARNING. I get carried away with recs down below. Everyone keep on moving. Fantasy nerd alert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmissa View Post
LOL, well I won't judge you b/c I tend to enjoy rereading favorites. I've read the Hunger Games trilogy twice. At least. (Don't ask how many times I've read the Harry Potter series, though...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnO View Post
That was a bit funny . There are some YA book lovers on here, and fantasy genre readers, maybe they can help you pick out something new.
**Waving my hand in the air** as a big-time fantasy reader. I mostly read YA fantasy, as well as a lot of the YA dystopian books... What have you liked recently, other than The Hunger Games? If you like dystopian/survival type reads, I really enjoyed the Enclave/Outpost/Horde (Ann Agguire) trilogy. Has a much better ending than that horrible Divergent fiasco...

Oh, I'm also much-loving the Lunar Chronicles series (Cinder, Scarlet, and Cress have been released, with one more on the horizon). The author is Marissa Meyer.

Marie Lu's Legend/Prodigy/Champion trilogy was satisfying. Solid ending.

If you can handle dark reads (but ultimately redeeming and rich reads), you may like the Lumatere Chronicles by Melina Marchetta. I've reread these twice in 6 months because there was just so much TO them. Full of ugliness... but also light. (Sounds silly, but these really have stuck deep in me.) Great fantasy, medieval-esque setting. Marchetta writes broken people very well...

If you like historical fantasy (alternative steampunk stuff), Scott Westerfeld's Leviathon/Behemoth/Goliath is great. WW1 with a steampunk twist. Very cool.

I've also liked some things by Kim Cashore (Graceling, Fire)... Caragh O'Brien (Birthmarked, Promised, Prized), and Rae Carson (Girl of Fire & Thorns trilogy -- love).
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-14, 08:20 PM  
lrb04

Just finished book/volume 8 of Clarissa Harlowe- by Samuel Richardson & started book 9 & the last.
lrb04 is offline   Reply With Quote