Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-13, 03:04 PM  
jerebo

My mother-in-law gave me some Ava deodorant (scroll down) for Christmas. I like it pretty well, though I'm tempted to try Lavilin. I've read a lot about it.

But none of the natural deodorants actually stops the perspiration. I've turned to using dress shields for that--when I know I'll be in a situation that will make me sweat (not including working out!).
Old 01-24-13, 05:57 PM  
rosepetals

Here is a link explaining the problems with crystal deodorants.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...eodorants.aspx
rosepetals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-13, 05:59 PM  
killoffsonny

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotted zebra View Post
I love Lavilin because I only have to apply it once a week and it's extremely effective! Though I'm intrigued by the idea of making my own deodorant.

http://www.herbspro.com/shop/xq/asp/...FQhyQgod1GYAzg
Lavilin lasts a week? It would certainly be worth it then. I just usually buy any natural deodorant at vitamin shoppe and then add baking soda to it. Most of the ones they have don't keep odor away for more than a few hours. Adding baking soda can extend it to 48 hours.
Old 01-24-13, 08:16 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Hmm, I'm a bit confused, because what constitutes natural? Aluminum and alcohol (alcohols are a family of chemicals, not a single chemical) are natural. And of course, regular old salt- NaCl is also an antifreeze, as is alcohol.

Baking soda, on the other hand is made through a chemical process.

Maybe you all are looking for less chemically active, or even less toxic deodorants. Baking soda falls under the second, but actually chemically reacts to remove odors. Corn starch is also not natural.

I'm really not trying to be obnoxious, but industry throws around the words natural and organic in ways that have no real meaning. So, you might need to do a little more research to figure out what you are trying to eliminate.

Alum does contain aluminum.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-13, 01:45 PM  
spotted zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by killoffsonny View Post
Lavilin lasts a week? It would certainly be worth it then. I just usually buy any natural deodorant at vitamin shoppe and then add baking soda to it. Most of the ones they have don't keep odor away for more than a few hours. Adding baking soda can extend it to 48 hours.
I know it sounds strange, but it's true. I usually put it on at night after a bath before I go to bed and wash it off the next morning, or else apply it first thing in the morning (if I forgot the night before), and wash it off that night. Main thing is to keep it on for a good 8 or so hours. Then I'm good to go for a week. It's like sweating water after that, and the amount of sweat decreases too. The container is small but a little bit of Lavilin goes a long way.
spotted zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-13, 01:47 PM  
spotted zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosepetals View Post
I don't think I can post the information here due to rules. But if you want to pm me, I will let you know more.

All I can say is I am still on it. It is life changing for the better !!!

I can't remember when in my life I ever felt better.

It feels like it's reversing my health issues. I am soooo happy with the improvement.

It's unique in many ingredients. I have done many cleanses, but nothing works like this one does.
I'm so glad you posted about this. I've been wondering what cleanse to try next as I haven't done one in some time. So perfect timing! I sent you a pm.
spotted zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-13, 02:43 PM  
Getfit

Quote:
I don't think I can post the information here due to rules. But if you want to pm me, I will let you know more.

It feels like it's reversing my health issues. I am soooo happy with the improvement.

It's unique in many ingredients. I have done many cleanses, but nothing works like this one does.
Sending you a PM
Old 01-25-13, 03:01 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnO View Post
Hmm, I'm a bit confused, because what constitutes natural? Aluminum and alcohol (alcohols are a family of chemicals, not a single chemical) are natural. And of course, regular old salt- NaCl is also an antifreeze, as is alcohol.

Maybe you all are looking for less chemically active, or even less toxic deodorants. Baking soda falls under the second, but actually chemically reacts to remove odors. Corn starch is also not natural.

I'm really not trying to be obnoxious, but industry throws around the words natural and organic in ways that have no real meaning. So, you might need to do a little more research to figure out what you are trying to eliminate.

I'm wanting aluminum and paraben free deodorant b/c I have thyroid problems. The minute I start using products containing these ingredients I can taste the product and it screws up my TSH. Same thing with some body wash products. I've also gone to flouride free toothpaste for the same reason.

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-13, 03:16 PM  
yahoo205

Quote:

rosepetals your pm box is full. please pm me your routine if you can. thanks
yahoo205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-13, 03:24 PM  
Jane1721

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnO View Post

You make some good points, Lynn. I go the baking soda and cornstarch route because I am highly sensitive to cosmetic fragrances, and even "unscented" deodorants smell. I even make my own household cleaners to avoid strong smells.
Jane1721 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deodorants, natural deodorants