Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-13, 01:30 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

I started using Jungleman several months back.

The name is stupid and off-putting, IMO, but the product does work for me. I wore it during the summer here in DC without having to reapply it during the day.

Ingredients: Corn starch, sustainable palm oil from non-peatlands, sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) and tea tree oil. It is a deodorant stick.

My only complaint about it is that the baking soda and cornstarch in it make it difficult to apply. I have NO idea how people with hair in their armpits can apply this stuff. I have to wet the stick first with warm water. It goes on white but quite soon is absorbed into my skin.

Some people find it harsh, according to reviews on Amazon. If you don't wet the stick and/or your armpits before putting it on, there is a LOT of drag. This can cause irritation. I think the reason this deodorant works is the very large amount of cornstarch and baking soda, and these ingredients make it impossible for the stick to glide smoothly over your skin without water or a very thin layer of shea butter applied to your armpits prior to use.

I also use Herban Cowboy's Natural For Her deodorant in the Blossom scent. This is pretty good--the scent is light and it goes on really smooth, with no white residue. However, in hot, humid weather, it has to be reapplied. I've found that to be the case with every natural deodorant I have tried with the exception of Jungleman. I use the Natural For Her in cold weather.

For now, Jungleman is my holy grail natural deodorant, but if I found one that worked as well but went on more smoothly, I'd be all over it.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-14, 04:48 PM  
videofit

I had a breast thermogram and was shocked to see "heat" in my armpits and lymph node area. The nurse asked what kind of deodorant I used. I told her the deodorant crystal. She said that creates inflammation and told me about alternative deodorants. Well, I didn't want something scented or that would stain my clothes or feel sticky or be expensive.

I had a "eureka" moment and thought, Why not use witch hazel? It's a natural astringent which I've used as a toner for years. No staining, no fragrance and dead cheap. I squirt some on a square cotton pad (I use them for makeup removal every night so have lots) and dab, then fix my hair so it dries before I get dressed. I also keep a small bottle at work to dab under my arms after lunch (as well as swiping across my oily forehead). Here is some info from Mother Earth that I found online:

Witch hazel is a clear liquid distillate derived from steaming the twigs of the North American Witch Hazel shrub (Hamamelis virginiana). It has many beneficial natural ingredients, including tannins, flavonoids, saponins, choline, gallic acid and bitters. It has antibacterial properties and is a superb astringent, removing excess oil and moisture and constricting tissue to which it is applied. It is a good treatment and toner for oily facial skin. These same properties make it a good deodorant when applied to the underarm area.
Old 04-19-14, 07:00 PM  
killoffsonny

Videofit funny that you should mention witch hazel. My pilates teacher said the same thing. She has also used vinegar. Regular vinegar not apple cider vinegar. I need to go get some witch hazel. I have been using baking soda with coconut oil but the baking soda sometimes is too harsh and I break out.
Old 04-19-14, 07:10 PM  
pgun3

Not sure if this has been mentioned but I have started using primal pit paste. I think it works pretty well. Kinda pricy but I use it twice a day because during the week I take 2 showers a day and it seems to last a while. Here is a link:

http://primal-pit-paste.mybigcommerc...paste-regular/
pgun3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-14, 07:13 PM  
rosepetals

I still take fenugreek sprouts or fenugreek pills. It removes BO. Instead depending on the dose you get a slight maple syrup fragrance. Fenugreek also helps to lower blood sugars and has many beneficial properties. It is not to be taken if you are going to get pregnant as it can cause an abortion. Read up on it before making a decision. It is a herb.

The crystal deodorant contains aluminum in the form alum. It is not on the safe list.
rosepetals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-14, 08:32 PM  
videofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by killoffsonny View Post
Videofit funny that you should mention witch hazel. My pilates teacher said the same thing. She has also used vinegar. Regular vinegar not apple cider vinegar. I need to go get some witch hazel. I have been using baking soda with coconut oil but the baking soda sometimes is too harsh and I break out.
Wouldn't you smell like a salad?

The nurse mentioned Pit Paste but I was worried about staining my clothes plus paying so much.

Witch hazel has no odor. I put some on this morning, did my housework, walked for 45 minutes, came back and did Buns of Steel, Kathy Smith's Tummy Trimmers (10 min. of standing abs) and a 10 min. Denise Austin Personal Training System chapter for upper arms. I still smell fresh as a daisy. And daisies don't have any odor!

I don't sweat so this may not work for someone who sweats a lot.

It will be interesting to see what my thermogram looks like when I go for a follow up in three months.
Old 04-19-14, 08:46 PM  
killoffsonny

I don't know if you would smell like a salad. She says once you put it on your skin it has no smell. I haven't tried it.
Old 04-19-14, 09:06 PM  
Tinks

It's funny this discussion came up today on here because I just received some natural deodorant in the mail today. I have 2 issues with the natural stuff. One, is a lot of times I'll start smelling after a while, and second, I get raw streaky red armpits after so many uses.

I always thought the red pits came from the baking soda, but I read an article on Bubble & Bee's blog that it's usually intertrigo that people get. This is caused by skin to skin friction. To combat "This is best done with a natural powder such as arrowroot or corn starch. Reapplying our Pit Putty sticks frequently throughout the day to keep the underarm dry and friction-free can control intertrigo."

I've tried both kinds of Primal Pit Paste. The one for sensitive armpits I started smelling pretty quickly. The regular Pit Paste I got a rash.

I'm now going to try Bubble & Bee's Pit Primer that has witch hazel in it followed by their Pit Putty deodorant stick that has arrowroot powder and baking soda. I'm going to reapply the deodorant throughout the day and see if this prevents my armpits from getting red. I'll try and remember to update after I've used it for a week or two.
Tinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-14, 10:02 PM  
rosepetals

You take fenugreek pills which is a spice or herb. Or you can eat fenugreek sprouts. No you do not smell like a salad. Your body odor disappears. If anything there is a slight maple syrup sweet fragrance. You are deodorizing from inside your body.
rosepetals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-14, 08:08 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

The only natural deodorants I've tried are Crystal essence, Tom's of Maine, and Arm and Hammer. The only one I've had any success with is Arm and Hammer, and even that has to be reapplied during the summer.
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deodorants, natural deodorants