Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-19-14, 07:44 PM  
SuzieC

I feel guilty when I don't work out

Hi all,
Something I've noticed the past few months...I feel really guilty on days I don't work out. I actually get anxious about it,and I'm starting to worry about how this affects my mood.
A bit of background. I got back into exercising regularly almost 2 years ago now. I needed to lose weight. After some trial and error and completing a few rotations of programs, with not too much success, I finally found a workout that worked really well for me. I've lost over 40 lbs now, and am about 8 lbs away from being in the healthy BMI range (my waist to height measurement is in a healthy range, however). I don't look overweight, and fit in about a size 9.
I usually workout every day, 30 mins of toning, 20-30 mins of steady state cardio + 30 minutes walking outside. I never plan a rest day. I take a rest day when there is simply no time in my day to work out. I usually take 2, maybe 3 rest days a month, which isn't much, I know. It's very rare that I don't at least walk on my rest day. But today, I didn't do any exercise, and I'm feeling anxious about it. I worry all my weight will come back. I know logically this is very silly. Does anyone else get like this, or is it just me? Should I schedule in a rest day more often so I don't get all worked up about a rest day?
I would appreciate your thoughts on this.
SuzieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-14, 08:12 PM  
deesharee

I used to feel the same way, but I'm learning not to feel that way anymore. I just don't want to be slave to working out, like I was a slave to the scale. Yes, I want to honor my body with movement and fuel to ensure optimum efficiency, but I know I'm in trouble when I feel obligated and it becomes a drudgery and chore. For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. You binge on exercise, you will get tired of it and you may simply stop doing it.

All things in moderation. Your body was made to rest, and that means in working out as well. Overtraining is just not smart. That's what you are doing when you weight train daily. When are you giving your muscles a chance to recover? You must be exhausted.

Wiki describes overtraining:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overtraining

Here's an article about fearing regaining the weight:
http://bellabodyfit.com/are-you-scar...gaining-weight

If you are eating to fuel you body most of the time, and doing reasonable exercise you can exhale. You'll be just fine, and you'll be able to find joy in achieving a 40 lb weight loss!!!! Congratulations!!!!
Old 04-19-14, 08:28 PM  
moonbeam31

I dont feel guilty anymore either. I am not going to be a slave to it either. I want to workout when I can and want to. I was in better shape when I used to workout more, but my life is just different now. I cant always workout as much or as regularly as I used to. I sure do not workout if im sick or it is ttotm! I feel older and wiser about it now.I love to workout, but sometimes life just gets in the way, and you can get resentful if things get in the way of your workouts, especially at home. I do hope to regain a more regular routine once my littlest starts school soon. I do work 3 days a week, so it is impissible for morning workouts on those days. I have to try for afternoon ones, and we all know how that can turn out when you have a family. I have learned to let it go and do what I can. It turns out at least 4 times a week, for 45min to an hour or so, I am cool with that!
moonbeam31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-14, 09:57 PM  
angie_nrs

I get it...

I totally get what you're talking about. The only time I really gave myself permission to not workout is when I was on vacation. Even when I went camping, I would still run. I felt like I was skimping out if I only did 30 minutes per day. Well, as I enter my 45th year on this earth, I have given myself more of a break on workouts....and guess what? It's OK.

I just started doing JNL fusion which is only 30 minutes per day and I'm getting great results. I am a Cathe girl, so I usually do an hour or so 5 days per week. What I found out was that these shorter workouts still had great benefit but, thus far, hasn't ignited my appetite like the longer ones do. It's all about balance and finding out what works for you. It's really hard to find the right recipe that will work for your lifestyle and your body....but you'll never know unless you try something different. Isn't that why most of us on this site are vidiots??? We're all trying to 'click' with what works for us.....and unfortunately, that changes over the years as well. Ug! Not an easy thing for any of us to figure out.....especially when time will not stand still!

I guess what I'm trying to say is, just b/c longer workouts and working out every day may have worked for you in the past, doesn't mean that it will be what works for you now. You may be pleasantly surprised at what the perfect exercise routine may be for you today.....just don't let the 'all or nothing' mentality steer you away from something that may result in great things for you now. I hope you figure it out. Good luck!
angie_nrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-14, 06:27 AM  
Jeanne Marie

Actually, I've been working out this way for years and years. I don't schedule a rest day because invariably real life gets in the way at least one day out of every 10 or so. I don't worry about it. I do a good bit every day.... about 60 minutes of a DVD (mostly Cathe, Illaria, Bob Harper, etc.) and a 4 to 5 mile run.

As long as I'm feeling good and injury free, I don't see any problem with it. I think the problem is if you're working out even when you don't feel like it, just because you're anxious if you don't. I have learned over the years that one missed day, or even a week or more, aren't going to affect your overall fitness if you're in good shape. I've made it through injuries (broken wrist) and illnesses, and at 57 years old, I am still as strong and fit as I've ever been.
Old 04-20-14, 11:22 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I don't take very many complete rest days, either, but I really see exercise as complete joy and (in a sense) relaxation. I feel better after a workout than I do after lying on the couch for an hour. If I'm sick or really exhausted, I'll just do a stretch. I hope the OP and others get to a good place with it emotionally. It's so wonderful to be able to move! For me, it's a treat, and there is no anxiety or fear associated with it.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-14, 06:41 PM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

I can relate. I was going to take a rest day today, but......I started thinking about going to my Mom's for easter dinner, I knew she has easter cookies, etc.... So I did 45 min on the treadmill walking, and a Firm ab workout. I don't take very many rest days per month either. It has to be either a very busy day, or I am sick. Oh, and I just have to add in, like Nuggie's Auntie, I really love working out, and how it makes me feel afterwards.

Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-14, 07:10 PM  
eannem

my workouts help ease my stress/anxiety. like others, i take rest days when life gets in the way, but getting a workout in is a huge priority for me. if only i was so disciplined in my diet/eating, etc.
eannem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-14, 07:16 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eannem View Post
my workouts help ease my stress/anxiety. like others, i take rest days when life gets in the way, but getting a workout in is a huge priority for me. if only i was so disciplined in my diet/eating, etc.
+1 for sure! If I were as 'good' with my eating as I am with exercise, I'd be a total babe.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-14, 08:38 AM  
SuzieC

Thanks to everyone for responding. It's so great to see ideas from across the spectrum. I feel like I'm in good company with those who struggle with the same issue I do, and I find comfort in those who feel no guilt and view their exercise time as something always positive. I love to work out, too. It's my one hobby that i look forward to. I hate that I've allowed this stress/guilt to enter into it, and I'm going to work on that! I also like the suggestion of experimenting with doing less. It would be good to allow myself a shorter workout when time is short or I just want to spend the extra time with my little one.
SuzieC is offline   Reply With Quote