Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion > Workout/Fitness FAQs

Old 04-01-04, 03:25 PM  
horsemom2

Another Starbound video review

Overall, this is a highly recommended rebounding video with beautiful outdoor scenary, unique music, and creative moves on and around the rebounder for anyone seeking a more gentle approach to rebounding. In fact, each time I revisit this workout, I find it even better than the previous visit.

The instructor Michele Wilburn does the whole workout barefoot and her bouncing style is mostly a flatfooted and close to the mat bounce called pulsing which is much gentler than the UR Basic Bounce that pounds the soles of the feet into the mat or the Fit Prime's G Force's version that pounds the heels into the mat.
You can mix and match its segments (zones and modules) by fast forwarding/rewinding the video however you prefer for as short or as long a stand-alone workout as you like or as add-ons. It took me four full workouts to cover all of the footage.
Of course, no workout is perfect so I will mention some negative observations as well. The right and left sides are not cued in reverse or mirrored and the cues are in a voiceover in case either of these aspects may bother you. It was explained to me that the voiceover was chosen because this workout is offered internationally, not just in English. Each cardio segment in the modules were done to different songs but I would have personally preferred more upbeat tempo songs for some of the aerobic segments. However, not having an emphasis on the musical beat probably makes this workout easier for those newer to rebounding to follow. This workout is screaming for dvd format so the options of doing say all of the cardio segments back-to-back would be so much easier. Unfortunately, the dvd is barely in its planning stages and may not become a reality for a long time.
The cardio included various moves at 3 different levels of intensity, mostly easy to follow that were variations of pulsing (vigorous healthbouncing), rhythmic walk bouncing, jumping jacks, shuffles, hopscotch, one legged twists, Jack in the Boxes, etc. The cardio in Module three became quite intense and alittle trickier to follow if using the instructor's arm motions as well.
Most of the sculpting seemed Pilates inspired and were found to be very effective and more comfortable using the rebounder as a prop.

Starbound breakdown
excluding introduction and ending credits
it was ~ 1:45 minutes of actual workout footage
Minutes may vary slightly from vcr to vcr or tape to tape

Zone one Foundations lasted 6 minutes and included posture instruction and gentle healthbouncing.

Zone two Warm Up lasted 21 minutes and included 16 minutes of movement and 5 minutes of stretching, some of which off the rebounder.

Zone three (~total of 40 minutes aerobic bounce for cardio) and Zone four (~total of 30 minutes sculpting) were combined in three modules

Module one lasted 15 minutes including 8 level one cardio and 7 sculpting
bar work with the rebounder on its side

Module two lasted 23 minutes including 15 levels one and two cardio and 8 sculpting
lying on the mat

Module three lasted 31 minutes including 17 levels1-3 cardio and 14 sculpting
on and around the mat

(dunno what Module 4 would have offered if it were included)

Zone 5 Pure Spirit lasted 10 minutes including 8 minutes of stretching on the rebounder then a lying meditation for a couple of minutes
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-04, 03:34 PM  
horsemom2

UR Dance Bound Review

I had previously reviewed all of the new Urban Rebounding workouts and just recently revisited Dance Bound. I was much more impressed with Dance Bound than when I reviewed so many UR workouts one after another so here is a more thorough review of Dance Bound along with some personal impressions as well.

UR's Dance Bound with Tracie Finan
31 minutes running time excluding UR's introduction

The instructor has a reputation for being distracting when a background bouncer but is more subdued when instructing. Actually, I was alittle disappointed not to see even more creativity and personality from Tracie Finan as an instructor in a Dance themed workout!
Overall, this is a nice workout because the intensity is easily adjustable by staying closer to or on the mat for lower intensity or bouncing harder into and higher above the mat for more intensity. It also has enough moves to make it interesting. The bounceless Warmup done on the rebounder is about 4 minutes followed by almost 25 minutes of cardio then a very short 2 minute Cooldown & Stretch. There is alittle Taking It From the Top but it doesn't get too repetitive as Tracie changes the combinations and adds new moves as the workout progresses.

Here's a sampling of some of the cardio moves all done while bouncing:
jazz heel digs to the sides
heel digs to the front
victory arms
chugs forward and backward and diagonal
show biz jacks with arms up then rotated
macarena along with a hip rotation
jogging with arms up then to the side then with front kicks
twists, single and doubled
Footloose toe-heel, toe-heel, side knee raise

Barb S
4/1/2004
(I really liked this UR workout and it's not an April Fool's joke!)
Old 06-26-04, 08:09 AM  
chrisjeffnick

Congratulations, Nancy!

And thank you for this thread. It is the thing that pushed me into buying a rebounder a few weeks ago and I really like it. (Thanks to Horsemom/Barb too for answering my questions! )
chrisjeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-04, 12:11 PM  
lgentry
VF Supporter

Hi, I want to buy a rebounder but can't afford a high end brand right now. I saw some at a sporting goods store in the $40.00 range. Would using a cheaper model ruin the benefits of rebounding for me?
Old 06-26-04, 12:20 PM  
Dawn3

Urban Rebounding offers some great packages and a reasonable price. I had heard that using a lower end rebounder could do damage to your knees or joints, however I have not used one to speak from experience. The deal with Urban Rebounder includes 10 separate workouts on 2 compilation DVD's or VHS. You can find it at https://secure.cmorgan.com/urbanrebo...t/product.html
Dawn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-04, 02:14 PM  
lgentry
VF Supporter

Please give me your opinion of this one listed on ebay, it would cost $90.11 including shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...685398643&rd=1
Old 07-05-04, 06:22 PM  
horsemom2

Starbound now available through Bouncewell

The Starbound video and book are now available through www.bouncewell.com

I believe some very highend rebounders from new Zealand and Germany will soon be offered as well.

Barb S
who may splurge on a fancier model one day when I have a higher ceiling since I currently workout in our basement and the sluggish ReboundAIR bounce is probably an asset
Old 07-15-04, 09:44 AM  
carole r.

March to Fitness

I heard someone say that Leslie Sansone workouts can be modified successfully to the rebounder. Since I don't own any of her workouts and am not likely to purchase one, I tried Kathy Smith's March to Fitness. It worked really well on the rebounder. I jogged or did basic bounce when she was marching, eliminated the back and forth moves and did double time sprints during the "interval section." I was able to work up a really good sweat.
Old 07-15-04, 04:18 PM  
Bebop

Workout last night - had virtually no energy - had to force myself to workout - I put in the step portion only of Cathe Cardio and weights but did it on the floor - it felt like dancing.

This a.m. I had more energy but not much time - I made up a 45 min. express endurance workout. I did the upper body work only of Cathe Bootcamp; then I did the kickbox only of Cathe Bootcamp - DID MOST OF IT ON THE REBOUNDER; then I did one round of Just Joyce Thighs and one round of all the ab work of super speedy non-stop.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-04, 11:27 AM  
Gilda
VF Supporter

Link to the Plyoback rebounder

Hello everyone,
I saw this item on the NBC Today show a few weeks ago. Soon after that, the exertools site was down so I had to wait till it was back up to get this link to you.

Kathy Kaehler demonstrated the use of three trampolines on this program: an outdoor version with a net, a "standard" one, and this Plyoback. It is used by professional athletes -- you can use it at an angle to throw those medicine balls and have them returned, at an incline for more intense rebounding, or on the floor as a standard rebounder.

Nancy, your recent testimonial was just what I needed. I have printed it so I can read it over and over. I just turned 53 so it was especially inspiring. Thank you.

Keep on bouncing!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
everything rebounding, rebounder friendly