Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-03-17, 07:59 PM  
rvagal

I'm interested in one too. When I was lying under the heavy x-ray thing at the dentist recently, I thought, "Hmmm, this feels nice."
Old 11-03-17, 09:20 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
... If I find anything out about specific brands, I will let you know.
Thanks!

I keep finding instructions on how to make your own, but I'm not going down that road. Rice bags to warm in the microwave are about as big/heavy as I'm willing to go.
Old 11-03-17, 10:03 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
One of my clients (I'm a psychologist) just got one. She thought it was helpful, but she did mention that it was hot (although I believe she is someone who tends to sleep without covers). If I find anything out about specific brands, I will let you know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyche View Post
I got one from Ebay; the seller custom makes them. There was a choice of color and weight. Yes, expensive, but it was a little cheaper than others.
Thanks for your feedback. Psyche if you know the ebay seller could you please let me know here or by PM their name?
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-18, 08:10 PM  
BunnyHop

Old Thread Alert:

Just bumping up this discussion to see if anyone has some experience with buying, owning or washing a weighted blanket? Any particular companies to recommend? Etsy sellers?

I'm curious, but reluctant to get spendy without more knowledge.
Old 02-19-18, 08:56 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I bought one for my son. I haven't washed it yet (he sleeps with it on top of his sheet/blanket. I have the washing instructions for it somewhere. I believe it is machine washable, but you can't hang it to dry because the weights will pull on the blanket. You also have to fold or keep it flat on the bed, don't let it hang off the edge because of the weight.

It is too hot for him to use in the heat of summer, when all he can tolerate is a light sheet, but it does provide the sensory benefit of weight without ten layers of heavy blanket/quilt/duvet. He likes it.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-18, 09:42 AM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
I bought one for my son. I haven't washed it yet (he sleeps with it on top of his sheet/blanket. I have the washing instructions for it somewhere. I believe it is machine washable, but you can't hang it to dry because the weights will pull on the blanket. You also have to fold or keep it flat on the bed, don't let it hang off the edge because of the weight.

It is too hot for him to use in the heat of summer, when all he can tolerate is a light sheet, but it does provide the sensory benefit of weight without ten layers of heavy blanket/quilt/duvet. He likes it.
Thanks so much for all the detail. I've wondered about a lot of this.

I'm tempted to make my own throw sized one, just to see how I get along with it. A craft store just opened not too far from me, so I'm going to investigate.

Would definitely need a cooler type fabric, though.
Old 02-20-18, 09:43 AM  
Marylandmom
VF Supporter

I've been seeing those advertised. What is the purpose of having one? Is there some therapeutic factor?
Marylandmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-18, 10:13 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
Thanks so much for all the detail. I've wondered about a lot of this.

I'm tempted to make my own throw sized one, just to see how I get along with it. A craft store just opened not too far from me, so I'm going to investigate.

Would definitely need a cooler type fabric, though.
If you google 'making weighted blanket,' I'm sure you will find instructions. I'm not really handy with a sewing machine, so I just bought one! Def. do a little research, though. The weight of the blanket, IIRC, should be about 10% of body weight to be effective. Whatever fabric you choose needs to be sturdy enough to bear the weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marylandmom View Post
I've been seeing those advertised. What is the purpose of having one? Is there some therapeutic factor?
Using weighted blankets has a calming effect on the central nervous system. My son has has ADHD and he is an anxious type. My other son's occupational therapist suggested getting one when I told her he was struggling. He does find it helpful.

Interestingly, my brother, who is in his mid-30's and was among the first wave of kids diagnosed with ADD, found that having heavy blankets on at night really helped him. There were no such products as weighted blankets at the time, but he would sleep with several heavy blankets at night, even during the heat of summer. When you consider he lives in the swamp-like conditions of Washington, DC/Northern Virginia, this is significant! He would just crank up the A/C! Not very energy efficient, so I've suggested he get a weighted blanket. I'm not sure if he ever took me up on it. They can be pretty costly, especially since he's a pretty heavy guy and his blanket would need to be heavy, thus expensive. But if you factor in the increased electricity bill in summer... probably a better investment!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-18, 06:58 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
... The weight of the blanket, IIRC, should be about 10% of body weight to be effective. Whatever fabric you choose needs to be sturdy enough to bear the weight. ...
Thanks for all the advice.

I've seen weighted pellets online that seem to be more what I'm looking for. The ones I saw IRL today weren't as heavy.
Old 02-24-18, 11:47 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I purchased one for my daughter from Sensacalm. She seems to like it just chilling out in her room but I noticed she is not using it while she sleeps. I just got it so I can't answer to washing it but they say it is machine washable. Also I got her one with snaps and a matching comforter cover so we could minimize the washing if the actual blanket. They offer a number of sizes, fabrics, weights and a guide to help you order. I also emailed them for advice and they were very helpful. Not cheap though.
www.SensaCalm.com
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
500 error