Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-16, 05:59 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by calendria View Post
I geuss I sometimes feel like I'm missing oout on the full "yoga" experience because I go for more gentle as opposed to the athletic videos.
That's interesting - I think my doctor would agree with you. As I get older, and have aches and pains from injuries, etc., my doctor suggested a daily yoga practice. I told her I do yoga almost every day, but more of a relaxed, restorative, yin practice. She said that wasn't enough; to get the full benefits I need to be doing standing poses, down dogs, etc.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-16, 01:38 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmDancer View Post
That's interesting - I think my doctor would agree with you. As I get older, and have aches and pains from injuries, etc., my doctor suggested a daily yoga practice. I told her I do yoga almost every day, but more of a relaxed, restorative, yin practice. She said that wasn't enough; to get the full benefits I need to be doing standing poses, down dogs, etc.
I think it depends on what "benefits" you are looking for. If you want relaxation and health benefits like lower blood pressure, reduced cholesterol, etc., both yin and restorative (keep in mind that these are two different forms of yoga) are likely to be extremely beneficial. If you are looking for benefits such as building bone density, increasing muscle mass, and reducing risk of osteoporosis, than yes, you will need to do more weight-bearing postures.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-16, 02:31 PM  
calendria

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
I think it depends on what "benefits" you are looking for. If you want relaxation and health benefits like lower blood pressure, reduced cholesterol, etc., both yin and restorative (keep in mind that these are two different forms of yoga) are likely to be extremely beneficial. If you are looking for benefits such as building bone density, increasing muscle mass, and reducing risk of osteoporosis, than yes, you will need to do more weight-bearing postures.
thank you! that makes a lot of sense. now where to go, hehe
calendria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-16, 06:15 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
good synopsis. as counter-intuitive as it may seem, some power yoga moves/sequencing can also induce serenity.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-16, 08:54 AM  
in paris

This is a lovely half hour standing sequence with Rudy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7Wqej5h_Js

I like to use it when I'm travelling and don't have a mat. It might be a good one to try as it's gentle but good for building stamina initially. It's very easy to modify, too, so you can grow into it.
in paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-16, 08:47 PM  
Lannette

Quote:
As a yoga teacher, it shocks me to hear any type of yoga described as "lazy"!

I love yin yoga and think it's wonderful for flexibility! Although most of the postures tend to be on the floor, the longer holds can be very demanding; it is NOT an easy or even a gentle form of yoga. Yin can be contrasted with restorative yoga (I'm a certified restorative yoga instruction)--in yin, the goal is to stretch, whereas in restorative, the goal is to relax the body into the poses without stretching.

More dynamic forms of yoga (e.g., vinyasa) can help you stretch in different ways and can enhance your flexibility as well, but it's great to focus on what you like! If you do enjoy other forms of yoga, a practice that adds more standing poses will round out your work on strength and balance in addition to helping you with flexibility.
Great thread! Thank you for posting this. I didn't truly understand the difference until now. Any suggestions for DVDS that take the restorative approach Beth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
good synopsis. as counter-intuitive as it may seem, some power yoga moves/sequencing can also induce serenity.
Yes, this is very true as long as you are strong enough for the practice.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-16, 08:54 PM  
Helen

>>Found this that lists the various kinds, with descriptions<<
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-16, 08:55 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Hi Lanette! I have one restorative DVD that is very nice, Restorative Yoga Practice with Deborah Donahue. On Yoga for Stress Relief, Barbara Benagh offers a few segments that are mostly restorative. Keep in mind that if you are doing restorative at home, you will most like need a lot of props! A yoga bolster is great, but you can sub couch/other pillows, firm blankets, etc. There are also some nice restorative practices on YouTube--SarahBeth Yoga has a series of 20-minute ones that I like, and Ekhart Yoga always has nice offerings as well.

Jeannine, ITA that power yoga/other fast-paced types of yoga can induce serenity as well! Really, I think you can get this through ANY type of yoga that clicks with you, so long as you: 1) connect to the breath, 2) have a mind-body focus throughout your practice, and 3) take time for shavasana at the end.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-16, 09:19 PM  
Lannette

Quote:
Hi Lanette! I have one restorative DVD that is very nice, Restorative Yoga Practice with Deborah Donahue. On Yoga for Stress Relief, Barbara Benagh offers a few segments that are mostly restorative. Keep in mind that if you are doing restorative at home, you will most like need a lot of props! A yoga bolster is great, but you can sub couch/other pillows, firm blankets, etc. There are also some nice restorative practices on YouTube--SarahBeth Yoga has a series of 20-minute ones that I like, and Ekhart Yoga always has nice offerings as well.

Jeannine, ITA that power yoga/other fast-paced types of yoga can induce serenity as well! Really, I think you can get this through ANY type of yoga that clicks with you, so long as you: 1) connect to the breath, 2) have a mind-body focus throughout your practice, and 3) take time for shavasana at the end.
Thank you Beth! I actually have a ton of props from Egoscue along with folded blankets, etc. I'll check out everything you mentioned.

Jeannine, Beth has actually clarified what I mentioned. Power yoga can be very meditative but if the practice that I'm doing is too advanced I lose my connection with my Breath, mind/body connection and as a result lose that meditative aspect. Depending upon the practice that may not happen until 50 or 60 minutes in or in the first ten minutes. The wisdom comes in knowing it and moving to Shavasana, for a few minutes or as a closing on the practice. I'm working on the wisdom part.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote