Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-24, 10:58 AM  
PamelaP

Arrow ANNOUNCEMENT: The Future of VF

Hi everyone,

I know there has been a lot of concern and frustration over the state of the VF website and forum for quite some time.

The good news I can share with you today is that I've heard back from Wendy. For personal reasons, she has decided that she wishes to pass VF on to the community. I'm not at liberty to share those reasons, but she agrees that it's time to make this change. Please respect Wendy's privacy during this process.

In the coming weeks and months, there will be some decisions for you as a community to make, and many steps to making a transition happen, particularly as regards the forum software. As I think you all know, VF is not functioning well on the current version of the forum software and could essentially crash at any time, so that is a high priority.

For now, I need to find out if there are any members who have technical skills, particular with servers, software upgrades, and software customizations. One of these technically skilled people would also need to act as a single point of contact to work with Wendy during the transition, i.e. a project manager or team leader. (I'm available to serve as a liaison and will do so as long as is needed, but don't have the time or skills to handle a potential forum software upgrade or take on a project management role.)

If you have any of the technical skills listed above and are interested in helping to evaluate the forum software situation and potentially get it updated, please message me privately. (Depending on the number of responses, I may need some help with fielding messages too. Please bear with me!)

We aren't yet at a point where it's time to discuss costs, long-term site administration, moderators, etc., so please hold those thoughts for now.

This is just the beginning of a complex process, but I hope this helps settle some nerves, and helps you all feel like there's hope for this community to remain a community.

Thank you,
Pam
PamelaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-24, 05:42 PM  
PamelaP

Hi again everyone,

Now that those who've seen the announcement have had a little time to think and discuss, I figured I'd unsticky and reopen the thread. (One note - I'm in a storm zone tonight and could be losing power. Hopefully not!)

First off, I want to reiterate that I can't/won't answer any questions about Wendy. She has requested privacy and I'm respecting that.

There have been no volunteers or anyone asking questions about the role(s) as of now. I understand that this is potentially a big commitment to take on, or at least unknown, and especially when it's likely uncompensated (unless the community as a whole decided to offer compensation - that's totally your decision). If you're thinking you MIGHT want to help but aren't sure, feel free to PM or email me your questions and I'll answer what I can. I do have some technical notes from Wendy that might be helpful.

I don't yet have a good sense of how much work this would be or how long it would take. I'd like to contact the company that owns the forum software and find out what would be involved in a server/software upgrade, and how much support they provide. (I'm open to having help with that outreach, otherwise I hope to have time to do it in the next several days.) Some companies do pretty much all of the work for you, others are there more as a guide but have the client do the bulk of the work. I don't know on which side of that line this particular company lies.

I believe someone had a question about whether the reviews portion of the site could remain accessible. If you mean keeping it as an archive that can still be accessed to read in perpetuity, my sense that would be pretty simple to do - certainly easier than the forum upgrade. As I mentioned, I do have some technical notes from Wendy. I need to re-review them, and will try to do so soon. I can't recall if she gave me any info on the other parts of the site yet; we were mostly discussing the forum.

There was a question posed on another thread last night asking why we would upgrade this forum when there are at least two others where some VFers have already migrated. That's a valid and reasonable question, and one the community will need to consider. I feel like to make that decision, it would help to know the amount of work and the cost of upgrading. However, if most of the community already feel like this forum isn't worth upgrading even without having that information, I have no quarrel with that. (Of course, if we can't find anyone to do it, that decision is kind of made anyway.)

I was trying to write something helpful and clarifying, and instead I think this may be rather long and confusing, but I'll let it fly and see what happens! Please feel free to post and discuss ideas - just keep it calm and civil. This is your community, and Wendy wants to transition it to that community. I'm just here as a liaison to try to get things moving.

Thanks,
Pam
Old 01-09-24, 09:53 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Pam, thanks for your efforts. I hope others with technical knowledge will step forward to offer you assistance.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-24, 09:19 AM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Pam I emailed you. I NEED my VF. I'm very willing to try. Just need more specifics.

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-24, 09:54 AM  
Leonana

Kate, thank you! If it works out, let us know what you need. Especially the expenses, I’m sure many of us would contribute.
Old 01-10-24, 10:48 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateTT View Post
Pam I emailed you. I NEED my VF. I'm very willing to try. Just need more specifics.
KateTT, I know I speak for a lot of people when I say, THANK YOU!
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-24, 11:03 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Pam, I know this isn't how you planned to start your 2024. Know that we are very grateful for anything that you are able to do.

Kate, you are the best.

Leonana, yes, many of us would be glad to contribute.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-24, 11:04 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
Pam, I know this isn't how you planned to start your 2024. Know that we are very grateful for anything that you are able to do.

Kate, you are the best.

Leonana, yes, many of us would be glad to contribute.
Ditto.

And happy that the forum seems easier to access today!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-24, 11:23 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Also, Pam, I know that more VFers would like to be able to thank you but can't get online right now. Due to power being out in some areas of the country. Or, internet issues.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-24, 11:26 AM  
PamelaP

Funny you should mention power outages! I had a lengthy one here myself, which has put me behind with work and life again. So please know I am reading the PMs and emails, and will catch up with y'all as soon as I can! Bear with me.

Tags
forum issues, vf future, vf site issues