Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-16-20, 07:14 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

A Cathe chronological rotation and reflecting on the past

A few weeks ago I got a wild hair and decided to embark on a Cathe rotation in chronological order of year produced. Until today (when I ordered a couple of her older DVDs with my preorder), my oldest workouts of hers were the Intensity Series. I don't have every single DVD Cathe has ever put out, but I have at least some from each series since then if not most, so I figured this would be a fun adventure to try.

I'm three weeks into my planned four weeks of rotating the Intensity Series (Pyramid Upper and Lower, Boot Camp/Muscle Endurance, Imax 2/Cardio and Weights, and The Terminator) before moving on. Two things....one, this has kicked my bum in a really nice way, and two, WOW, I wouldn't say I'm bored, but I'm absolutely craving variety already now and can't wait to move on to the Body Blast series just for a change! After only three weeks! And that got me thinking...

I remember my early days when I only had The Firm (on VHS), the originals, and not even all of them. I'd rotate volumes 2, 3, and 4, and I did that for YEARS before discovering other workouts. YEARS. I can't even fathom that now.

I will say there's something to be said for repeating workouts like this. It has given me a gauge to notice improvement, and I can really focus because I know what to expect by heart, which is great. And I wonder if I'd be feeling this antsy if I didn't have all these other great series to work my way through, like back in the day, when we didn't have all these choices!

I guess I'm just reflecting on the past and appreciating what I have now!

This little reminiscence brought to you by the letter S, for sore, which is what I am!
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-20, 08:22 PM  
fanofladyvols

I never had anything but a few Tamilee workouts that I rotated...FOR YEARS.

AND as much as I love those workouts...I would definitely get bored if that's all I did. I am sure that having all these other workouts would keep me from only doing the same few.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-20, 08:25 PM  
bubbles76

There are days I wish I didn't have so much variety. I can't believe I'm saying that lol! But I remember rotating Jari Love and Christi Taylor workouts. That was pretty much all I had. How times have changed.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-20, 08:35 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

yes, I suffer from analysis paralysis. last year, I went through a period where I just made up my own workout w/o following along to a video.

I recall a time when my whole collection fit into a banker's box. I think I could emulate that now - just focus on a handful of workouts and put my blinders on instead of:

squirrel! (distracted)
squirrel! (distracted again)

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-20, 08:40 PM  
annette
VF Supporter

[QUOTE=kittybug;2855851]
I will say there's something to be said for repeating workouts like this. It has given me a gauge to notice improvement, and I can really focus because I know what to expect by heart, which is great. /QUOTE]

I wish I could make myself stick to repeating workouts for a month because I believe you're right. However, the longest I've been able to stick with it is 2 weeks. Short attention span I suppose.

Have fun! Let us know how it goes with the Body Blast series.
annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-20, 09:05 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittybug View Post
I will say there's something to be said for repeating workouts like this. It has given me a gauge to notice improvement, and I can really focus because I know what to expect by heart, which is great. And I wonder if I'd be feeling this antsy if I didn't have all these other great series to work my way through, like back in the day, when we didn't have all these choices!
So true! I started my vidiot career rotating between Firm Volumes 1 and 2, and I got such a boost when I had to buy a set of 12# dumbbells because the recommended 5,8 and 10-pounders were too easy. It was a real feeling of achievement to move up.

I love the variety we have now - step? floor? hiit? interval? high reps? low reps? circuits? - but miss the simplicity of knowing it was either Workout 1 or Workout 2. I did those two workouts so often, I could do them by heart today if you just played the audio track.
Old 01-17-20, 02:21 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

That is a great idea, Kittybug! I may try this with Cathe’s!
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-20, 05:53 AM  
ChelePA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop View Post
That is a great idea, Kittybug! I may try this with Cathe’s!
I did this 2 years ago. I think I owned 85 DVDs at that point . It was lots of fun!!! So many oldies but goodies. But I agree there is something with repeating workouts in a rotation to see your progress.
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-20, 08:25 AM  
tiletha444

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittybug View Post
A few weeks ago I got a wild hair and decided to embark on a Cathe rotation in chronological order of year produced.

I will say there's something to be said for repeating workouts like this. It has given me a gauge to notice improvement, and I can really focus because I know what to expect by heart, which is great.
This is such a fun idea!

I prefer repeating workouts for this very reason. I like being able to notice my improvement with the workouts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
yes, I suffer from analysis paralysis.

squirrel! (distracted)
squirrel! (distracted again)
This is me! I have such a difficult time making decisions about which workouts to do with sooo many choices
tiletha444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-20, 09:34 AM  
warriorprincess

Every year or two, I'll go through Cathe's STS. In fact, I have one more workout to go to complete my latest rotation. I love the longer rest periods and heavy weights of Mesocycle 3, and repeating the same exercises for 4 weeks.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
analysis paralysis, cathe, cathe rotation, cathe rotation checkin, cathe rotations, too many choices, too many options, variety, watulan check-in