Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-17-11, 01:38 PM  
moonbeam31

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturallove View Post
Actually, I was looking forward to that one-Kathryn is widely considered to be a top instructor and teacher. However, her teaching style comes across a bit to brusque for me (maybe that's the NYC part? ) and it is really fast. Unfortunately, the flow doesn't work for me, but maybe I need to see the whole thing.
yeah, me too!
moonbeam31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-11, 02:20 PM  
Lorelai

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj476 View Post
I just did Pilates Super Sculpt this morning. Here are my thoughts:

Pace - Pilates Super Sculpt goes at a much slower, deliberate pace than 10MS and speeds things up at certain points.

Length - 10 MS QSS is 50 minutes; PSS is 60 minutes.

Stretch - PSS has a flexibility section; 10MS doesn't (but probably adds a few stretches at the end of each section but I don't remember (will add back to the thread once I do QSS again). I liked the stretch in PSS; felt good.

Challenge - 10MS QSS is much more challenging (especially the core work) although PSS had a tough little teaser section.

PSS is done almost solely on the floor except at the very end where she has you doing a rolldown from standing, walk out to a plank and do a pushup (and then a few more sets, adding on a pushup until you get to 4 pushups) and come back up to standing. 10MS QSS has a standing pilates section (which I really like).

Not that Pilates is intended as a heart-pumping workout at all but you do feel more worked out with 10MS. 10MS actually got my HR up in the zone for about 9 minutes whereas PSS never did.

Both use the ball throughout except in 10MS the ball is not used in the standing pilates section.

Things I liked in PSS: the frog moves (extending legs forward and into split); also moving from split and bringing legs together (really felt these), the helicopter; nice flexibility section.

Things I didn't like about PSS: too slow! Not as challenging as I'd hoped. I guess I understand that people might say 10MS is choppy but I didn't mind it at all. I'm sure it's because of the 10 minute format but I also like 10MS better because I like to use certain sections as add-ons.

Instructor - I like both Andrea and Tracey and don't have a problem with either of them as an instructor. I'm looking forward to Andrea's Xtend Barre. I love Tracey's Booty Barre. Xtend Barre doesn't like quite as intense. I guess these instructors could complement each other well as each of them it seems will have one intense workout and one moderately challenging workout.

Marcy
Thanks for actually getting this thread back on track!

I really appreciate your breakdown. I'm not a Pilates newbie, but I'm out of shape, so PSS will fit my needs better (which is wonderful, since I managed to get a hold of a copy. to a certain VF-er). I'm also looking forward to doing more Pilates, because it's amazing for flexibility and strength... did Ellen's Pick Your Spot Pilates last night, and boy, my core needs work! But I love the thighs section... really lengthens the legs. Anyway, thanks again!

"Practice makes progress." Jessica Smith

"There's always an option before we quit." Jessica Smith

"You don't have to be a ballerina to feel like one." Ellen Barrett
Lorelai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
andrea leigh rogers, mini ball, pilates, pilates mini ball, pilates super sculpt, quick sculpt pilates, tracey mallett