Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-11, 04:18 PM  
topfitmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturallove View Post
Actually, the goal in pilates (in the more classical form) is to be able to do the exercises smoothly, efficiently and somewhat rapidly. I totally get that that's not everyone's thing, so your mileage may vary.
Have you tried New York Pilates with Kathryn Nash? I tried it (Exercise TV download) and it went too fast for me at my level. I guess you have to work up to it.
Tracey says that Pilates Super Sculpt is for beginner to intermediate exercisers.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-11, 05:12 PM  
naturallove

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfitmama View Post
Have you tried New York Pilates with Kathryn Nash? I tried it (Exercise TV download) and it went too fast for me at my level. I guess you have to work up to it.
Tracey says that Pilates Super Sculpt is for beginner to intermediate exercisers.
Actually, I was looking forward to that one-Kathryn is widely considered to be a top instructor and teacher. However, her teaching style comes across a bit to brusque for me (maybe that's the NYC part? ) and it is really fast. Unfortunately, the flow doesn't work for me, but maybe I need to see the whole thing.
naturallove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-11, 02:58 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Any more feedback on Xtend Barre? This one just caught my eye...

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-11, 01:45 AM  
MomOf2Gremlins

Beth,
I posted a link in the barre check-in thread from 2 weeks ago. I forget which site it was, but they featured a 20 min clip of Xtend. After trying it out, I pre-ordered on Amazon!

I'll go and see if I can find the link for you!

Edit: Bummer, they don't offer the video anymore. It was on Acacia.com on the free workout section..

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

MomOf2Gremlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-11, 06:43 AM  
kitty12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomOf2Gremlins View Post
Beth,
I posted a link in the barre check-in thread from 2 weeks ago. I forget which site it was, but they featured a 20 min clip of Xtend. After trying it out, I pre-ordered on Amazon!

I'll go and see if I can find the link for you!

Edit: Bummer, they don't offer the video anymore. It was on Acacia.com on the free workout section..
It was on the Acacia website - their daily workout. I looked for it yesterday and they didn't have it anymore.
kitty12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-11, 10:24 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

The 23-minute Xtend barre clip is back on the Acacia web site:
http://acacialifestyle.com/daily-workout-footer/c/344/

It's the barre segment of the workout only. I tried it tonight, and I found it quite tough--I expect to be sore tomorrow!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-11, 01:23 AM  
MomOf2Gremlins

Sweet, thanks for letting us know, Beth!
And yes, I remember from the 1x doing it, that it was quite tough!

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

MomOf2Gremlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-11, 10:31 AM  
mj476

I just did Pilates Super Sculpt this morning. Here are my thoughts:

Pace - Pilates Super Sculpt goes at a much slower, deliberate pace than 10MS and speeds things up at certain points.

Length - 10 MS QSS is 50 minutes; PSS is 60 minutes.

Stretch - PSS has a flexibility section; 10MS doesn't (but probably adds a few stretches at the end of each section but I don't remember (will add back to the thread once I do QSS again). I liked the stretch in PSS; felt good.

Challenge - 10MS QSS is much more challenging (especially the core work) although PSS had a tough little teaser section.

PSS is done almost solely on the floor except at the very end where she has you doing a rolldown from standing, walk out to a plank and do a pushup (and then a few more sets, adding on a pushup until you get to 4 pushups) and come back up to standing. 10MS QSS has a standing pilates section (which I really like).

Not that Pilates is intended as a heart-pumping workout at all but you do feel more worked out with 10MS. 10MS actually got my HR up in the zone for about 9 minutes whereas PSS never did.

Both use the ball throughout except in 10MS the ball is not used in the standing pilates section.

Things I liked in PSS: the frog moves (extending legs forward and into split); also moving from split and bringing legs together (really felt these), the helicopter; nice flexibility section.

Things I didn't like about PSS: too slow! Not as challenging as I'd hoped. I guess I understand that people might say 10MS is choppy but I didn't mind it at all. I'm sure it's because of the 10 minute format but I also like 10MS better because I like to use certain sections as add-ons.

Instructor - I like both Andrea and Tracey and don't have a problem with either of them as an instructor. I'm looking forward to Andrea's Xtend Barre. I love Tracey's Booty Barre. Xtend Barre doesn't like quite as intense. I guess these instructors could complement each other well as each of them it seems will have one intense workout and one moderately challenging workout.

Marcy
Old 02-17-11, 10:39 AM  
cherimac

I like PSS much better. I'm a low beginner/intermediate in pilates and Andrea's was a bit too fast and challenging for me. Andrea's comments are a bit repetitive to me but she's did a fine job. I love Tracey Mallett and think this workout allows me to concentrate on form a bit better. If you're more advanced, the 10MS might fit your needs better.
Old 02-17-11, 01:12 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

I had the 10 MS and got rid of it almost immediately. IMO it was nothing new, and not challenging. I couldn't get PSS in a trade; since I'm on a Tracey M kick, I bought it from totalfitness. So glad I did - it slays me! The moves aren't the same old/same old, and the flexibility section is soothing and doesn't demand impossibly flexible hip joints.
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
andrea leigh rogers, mini ball, pilates, pilates mini ball, pilates super sculpt, quick sculpt pilates, tracey mallett